Sony explains why you'll have to pay for online with PS4

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:13

Pretty much the only thing people didn't like about Sony's E3 conference was that tiny little part where they announced that you'd have to pay a subscription fee (PS+) to play games online with the PS4. It was kind of a bombshell for some, but for others, it made sense given the value of PlayStation Plus.

After being asked what went into the decision to charge for online gameplay, Sony explained that online features and services are going to be a "big pillar" of the PS4 experience. They go on to note, "we've already talked about the share button, sharing features, second screens...if we continue to invest into online infrastructures, that costs money. If we continue free service for online multiplayer, from a business standpoint, there's pressure to recover costs. That's when we decided 'let's ask the people who are most active in playing online to share some of the cost so we can invest more.'"

Sony ends with, "$399 is the price point we always wanted to hit. We carefully looked at the potential of the technology we put in the PlayStation 4. We believe that when PS4 comes out it will be the most powerful system inside."

I saw all of this coming, and I'm not really surprised. Sony can't afford to offer 10 more years of free online play with all of the cloud based services they're offering now. Still, as I said earlier PlayStation Plus is a tremendous value, and I'm willing to make that sacrifice to pay for online if Sony can provide a truly solid experience -- if.

http://www.destructo...s4-256158.phtml

#2 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:21

Why work so hard just to say "We want moar moneiessss!" ?

#3 OP compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:23

So we are more willing to part with our moniesssssss! :)

#4 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:23

I'm completely cool with this considering the value of the service and the fact that I know how much has to be invested to make these services work.

Its the same reason I have kept an xbl gold subscription. MS and Sony are investing time and money to grow these services and offer gamers more for their money in the process. That isn't just about the top level features, but also the behind the scenes infrastructure such as dedicated servers, etc.

It'll be interesting to see if those that have railed against putting multiplayer behind a paywall still have a problem with it.

#5 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:26

As long as they put that money back into developing the services I guess I can live with it, if it's just a pure money grab I am going to be annoyed. I am paid up till Feb 2014 with PS+ anyway and I shall be extending it soon so guess it doesn't really affect me.

#6 StephenBratz

StephenBratz

Neowinian

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:27

8+ years of Sony and Playstation fanboys mocking the 360 because of the pay model for online play, years of claiming that PS3's online play not being as good as 360's is just fine because it was free, and years of other attacks against the 360's Live model. But in a few moments after Sony's announcement they collectively saw the light, none of what they have been saying for years matters, and giving money to Sony is now a good thing that we should all want to do.

But Microsoft is still bad for charging for Live.

#7 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:29

8+ years of Sony and Playstation fanboys mocking the 360 because of the pay model for online play, years of claiming that PS3's online play not being as good as 360's is just fine because it was free, and years of other attacks against the 360's Live model. But in a few moments after Sony's announcement they collectively saw the light, none of what they have been saying for years matters, and giving money to Sony is now a good thing that we should all want to do.

In the past 12 months Sony have given me nearly £3000 worth of games as part of my subscription, Microsoft has given me 20 Microsoft points (1 pence) for my Birthday. If they continue to give me £3000 worth of software as well as multiplayer as part of my PS+ subscription I don't really see the comparison.

Microsoft has EVERYTHING locked behind Gold paywall and they only recently started to give away games which are 4 and 6 years old so worthless anyway.

#8 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:30

Let's say I own a console for 6 years. Maybe I play an online multi-player game for 2 of those. Should I be locked out of Netflix and other apps because I don't want to keep paying for those other 4 years?

I won't even get into the fact that if you pay for Live you still get a Dashboard full of ads, but needless to say Live and Sony's service are not equivalent.

#9 Matrix XII

Matrix XII

System F

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:33

I'm totally fine with this and I expected it.

Looking forward to subscribing again to PS+ as I had it a couple years ago

threetonesun: I read somewhere on Neowin that those apps wouldn't be behind the paywall.

#10 StephenBratz

StephenBratz

Neowinian

In the past 12 months Sony have given me nearly £3000 worth of free games, Microsoft has given me 20 Microsoft points (1 pence) for my Birthday. If they continue to give me £3000 worth of software as well as multiplayer as part of my PS+ subscription I don't really see the comparison.

Microsoft has EVERYTHING locked behind Gold paywall and they only recently started to give away games which are 4 and 6 years old so worthless anyway.

So you are proving my claim that all the whining for years was just because it was Microsoft, and now that Sony is charging it is all for good.

Edit: So list out the prices of this software you got for free, you know this £3000 value off the top of your head, so you must be able to list every item, and the price for each item that you got for "free"

#11 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Let's say I own a console for 6 years. Maybe I play an online multi-player game for 2 of those. Should I be locked out of Netflix and other apps because I don't want to keep paying for those other 4 years?

I won't even get into the fact that if you pay for Live you still get a Dashboard full of ads, but needless to say Live and Sony's service are not equivalent.

I don't think they've announced whether or not they'll do the Netflix paywall again for Ones Live. I highly doubt it.

#12 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:35

Always my beef with Live. I pay for the damn thing, yet it is still full of ads and I have no option to turn them off

So you are proving my claim that all the whining for years was just because it was Microsoft, and now that Sony is charging it is all for good.

No, he saying + is still the better deal.

#13 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 23

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:36

I don't play any games online on the consoles. They are mainly single player. I don't believe in paying someone for a service on top of a service I am already paying for. Never believed in the WOW model either, I guess that is why I have never played or will own WOW. I haven't paid for Live, nor will I pay for Sony's ps+. They can all suck my sweaty sack before I pay them or they can take some of the cost out from my ISP. Start paying and there will be no end to being charged for things because everyone will assume that it is alright to charge. Sony and Microsoft need more money like I need more rocks in my yard.

#14 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:37

What?

It's not because "its Microsoft", it's because it's a sh*tty model, pay to play online will be under Sonys PS+ subscription which gives you at least 3-5 games PER MONTH , that's hardly a bad thing.

#15 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:37

I don't think they've announced whether or not they'll do the Netflix paywall again for Ones Live. I highly doubt it.

I would be very surprised if Microsoft changed their stance on that. I mean, they've had how many years now to get rid of that paywall. Plus, I'm sure a large part of Microsoft business model is to get people to buy the console and pay for live. I don't think they're very interested in console sales alone. You have to remember, over the course of 5 years, if you have Live the entire time, you've basically bought 1.5 consoles from them.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!