Xbox One: No Games DRM or "Always Online"

The people that care are the most loyal, those that will buy a console at launch.  Most people buying a console after launch won't care, though they may just get whatever is cheaper (a bigger problem than DRM I think).

Yup, I think those who really care (unlike me) are those who stand in line on launch, and it is important for MS/Sony to not lose those people. 

In the long run though I think we will see a repeat of this generation where prices gradually move to a similar range. And I think this longer term is more important to a console especially if you can get them to keep playing on the console. The Wii for instance had crazy sales but mindshare has decreased rapidly while PS3 and the 360 have managed to keep growing whilst retaining a disproportionate amount of the news. Look at the Kinect for instance, that did wonders for the brand's visibility.

Also, look at the games that are coming out - they're PS3/360/PC. Obviously this is in large part due to the Wii's inferior hardware, but even so, with ~100 million Wiis sold you'd think a few more AAA-type exclusives would have come out. 

So all in all - I think that this gen nothing will change. MS and Sony will keep duking it out all the while making lots of money. 

You can exchange games with any amount of peopleas many times as you like

You can buy a used game, and not be stuck with it for life

You can sell any one of your games to anybody, anywhere

The funniest thing about this is that people have been saying today, "why do you need family sharing?", "can't they afford the game?". And then they say that now when DRM is removed, you can sell and buy USED games without restrictions. So instead of saving money(family sharing), I could.. save money(sell/buy used games)?  Are you guys serious?

Some of us can download games in a few hours and over the next few years more and more people will be able to as well.

As previously stated, I've got a 40/40mbit internet line, which is WAY above the average. It only takes a few hours to download a game, but why would I prefer that when I could buy the game in the local store and install it in 15 min?

so whats the point of the 500gb hdd again if we have to have the freaking disk to play?

It is called choice. 500GB HDD would be for saves games and updates. watch how fast you start to use up that space over time with updates. a disc isn't the problem.

sometimes it's nice to go to a game dealer and buy a game. you know.. mingle with others. and converse

Get the digital version.

have they clarified digital version DRM? since we're not going to be able to share it with friends and there is no call home check, does that mean we  will also lose the ability to have anyone on the console play it? and won't be able to download at a friends house and play with hourly checks?  There was so much opportunity in the old way that people were oblivious too, stepping back to disk by default sucks.

You'd give up all those freedoms, in favour of being a lazy ****? This is a prime example of the state of society.

Happy Birthday btw :fun:  <--- not being sarcastic

Forget your view that all families live within a few blocks, how would me sharing games across the world to my family, be lazy?

You can exchange games with any amount of peopleas many times as you like

You can buy a used game, and not be stuck with it for life

You can sell any one of your games to anybody, anywhere

1. Only if I give the physical disc away.  That's less flexible than family share.

2. Never resold a game I bought used (and I don't usually buy used).

3. I only resell to GameStop, and very rarely.

It is called choice. 500GB HDD would be for saves games and updates. watch how fast you start to use up that space over time with updates. a disc isn't the problem.

sometimes it's nice to go to a game dealer and buy a game. you know.. mingle with others. and converse

I mingle and converse with people I know in game.. not at the store..  hardware at stores is fine, but in this day and age, having to stick to the "pre order a disk" bs is well.. bs..  I hope we get clarification on download games that we're not losing launch day availability.. with the 24 hour call home gone i'm pretty sure there goes any pre-caching capabilities too..  I hope not.

You'd give up all those freedoms, in favour of being a lazy ****? This is a prime example of the state of society.

Happy Birthday btw :fun:  <--- not being sarcastic

I'd give up all those freedoms so I can have access to more digital content. Being able to share my library with my family and friends and vice versa would have been amazing. You could play a game and if you really loved it, buy it. It was like playing demos of full games. But now that's all gone. =/

Thank you.

Forget your view that all families live within a few blocks, how would me sharing games across the world to my family, be lazy?

Was never gonna happen, the console is region locked.

The neowin people forgot the meaning of being social...The hate the outside  :rofl:

have they clarified digital version DRM? since we're not going to be able to share it with friends and there is no call home check, does that mean we  will also lose the ability to have anyone on the console play it? and won't be able to download at a friends house and play with hourly checks?  There was so much opportunity in the old way that people were oblivious too, stepping back to disk by default sucks.

MS being MS have left a new point of confusion   :angry:

I'm pretty sure that all games, downloaded and disc will use their new check in scheme. That's what the Xbox blog post heavily implied. 

Why are some people arguing against using a physical disc and others arguing against digital features like sharing with friends and selling digital copies?

I really think they can offer us both. Others have laid such ideas out. MS maybe be working toward that very goal and here is how it could work:

Consumers have the option when installing a game to tie it to a digital copy that allows them access to the sharing features, not needing a disc to play, and make it subject to any digital restrictions. Of course, buying digital content automatically gets the features.

If they choose not to tie a disc in that manner, then the experience is just like today.

There is no need to bash someone for wanting options.

was region locked..

The neowin people forgot the meaning of being social...The hate the outside  :rofl:

The "outside" certainly isn't "inside" some game store.. :D

Cliffy B.'s response:

More studios WILL close and you?ll see more PC and mobile games.

I have seen the number of unique gamer tags vs actual sales numbers and it ain?t pretty.

At the end of the day many hardcore dislike what was attempted. You can?t do well in that space with many of your core unhappy? Especially when users have a choice. The nature of capitalism encourages competition and Sony played into that.

Brace yourselves. More tacked on multiplayer and DLC are coming.

You?re also about to see available microtransactions skyrocket. HATS FOR EVERYONE.

I want *developers* who worked their asses off to see money on every copy of their game that is sold instead of Gamestop. ###### me, right?

*Sony* forced Microsoft?s hand, not the internet whining.

You?re going to see digital versions of your favorite games with added ?features? and content to lure you to digital over disc based.

I find it funny how people are saying that I ?lost? when I don?t have a job or an allegiance now.

What I do have is 20 years of experience making games and seeing how the sausage is made.

He's right about Sony being the actual "push" to MS.

LOL! i forgot about that!! yeah so to everyone saying they wanted to share their games to family and friends across the country, it was never going to be allowed in the beginning 

I'm against DRM but there are downsides to losing the DRM:

1. Can't share games digitally with friends/family
  2. Need to keep game discs handy since disc games won't be tied to your Xbox Live profile anymore.  (Huge downside)

1: You don't know that. Anything is possibly, it just takes the proper implementation to do it.

2: You do realise that even if you signed into someone's console you'd have to download the game first before you can start playing it? It's not instantly stored on the HDD magically. Great if everyone's internet connection in the world is 100 MBps, but are you in that position? I think the reality is you'd plan to sign into a friend's console and have to wait hours before you can do any gaming together. Carrying that disc around doesn't sound too bad after all now does it?

I feel like I've lost something. The family sharing was the most interesting thing I've seen so far from all the consoles.

So how often do you mail your games across the country/world today?

Please tell me what rights I'm gaining, and how my options have increased.

DarkFiber said it best.

I remember that, and yes, Sony also won with Blu-Ray. But the disc switching you are referring to is in game disc switching. Not having to have the disc in the drive to play. I agree, in game disc switching is far worse than having to have the disc I the drive to play. Blu-Ray fixes that.

But that is a good point you make.

I really don't think you can say Sony won anythig with BR. In fact MS pulled out of the "HD War" very early because their bet is and always has been on digital. Sony still haven't reached the success they had with DVD/PS2, nor made the money back on it last I heard.

you get the right to continue to fund places like GameStop, and your options have increased as now if you lose your disc, you can buy another one. Yay!!!

Sorry, but come Q4 both Microsoft and Sony are going to rely on shops like Gamestop to sell their console to you in the first place. If you want to see them go out of business then I'm not quite sure you understand your own arguments. If you don't agree with their prices, fair enough, neither do I for the UK equivilent, i.e GAME. Do I want to see them go out of business though? No chance.

A number of rights and options have been lost because of this decision and while some may have been gained a lot of people clearly feel that they're not as important as what has been lost.

Nothing has been lost because they have never lived with the features. Better yet, we are still 5~ months from release and lots can change. Sharing can still be part of the X1, sure limited to digital copies, but then you guys are all for killing discs from what you're telling me. So presumably you'll all be buying your games day 1 from XBL for whatever prices they ask?

but with having to have the disc in the console, and the on-line sharing plan shot to heck and back - the xbox one is castrated right out of the gate... before they even leave the gate to be honest.

I think with a lot of folks, some are talking apples and some are talking oranges but digital download content and disc content will still work fine. Someone who is better at spelling out the facts of DRM would quiet down the storm.

1. one can still download games, electronic content

2. can still buy disc media games. (requires getting out of the house in some cases) but there is amazon/walmart delivery etc to your door.

LOL! i forgot about that!! yeah so to everyone saying they wanted to share their games to family and friends across the country, it was never going to be allowed in the beginning 

I don't think you understand what region locked means.

You would have been able to share games with everyone in US if you were in the US. So yes, you would have been able to share across the country.

Just realised that I can't even play a game while waiting to find an online match in another game if I buy disc-based games.. Another feature lost..

For disc-based games, yes... But the family sharing was digital and not affected by the region lock, as far as I know.

They changed that too, the post says its region free now. I'm so glad to see that, I import a fair number of Japanese titles

So how often do you mail your games across the country/world today?

You're kidding right?

I have a bunch of family members and friends that play xbox. You know how amazing it would be to play their games and vice versa at anytime? 

I thought just the discs were region locked... nothing was ever said about the digital downloads...?

So presumably you'll all be buying your games day 1 from XBL for whatever prices they ask?

I don't plan on buying a disc ever again if I can avoid it. Hell my only computer now is my Yoga 13 Ultrabook that has no CD drive.  I don't game on it obviously, but I clearly don't see the need for physical copies of software.