georgia jumped the gun facebook page caesars entertainment convicting

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 PoohGQ

PoohGQ

Neowinian

• 221 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:49

If he is still hurt by it over 20+ years later, he is only hurt by it as long as it can be a weapon in the court room.

I say that because of the time passed since her use of the word and when it came to light. We're all different, so maybe he lost sleep because she called him that so long ago... I just doubt that is the case.

So.. How about all those grown ups that still lose sleep or committing suicide because they were bullied as kids?? I guess when you're not on the receiving end of pain, you have no idea what it's like..!!

#17 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

• 1,258 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:52

Not unless you live in the middle east

That was the point, things are that ridiculous.

#18 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,905 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:55

Until everyone is forbidden from saying this word (I'm looking at the Rappers etc). Then we need equal punishment. The notion of "I can say that word, I'm black" is nonsense. "Oh I'm allowed to tell Rape Jokes, I'm a Rapist"

#19 jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax

A custom title? Cool!

• 7,559 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit SGH-T599N

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:58

This is just so ridiculous, someone takes offense to something that was said more than likely not directly to the said person and they decide let's just sue the s*** out of her... but such seems to the American way, if your not happy sue, sue and sue some more!

#20 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:26

Until everyone is forbidden from saying this word (I'm looking at the Rappers etc). Then we need equal punishment. The notion of "I can say that word, I'm black" is nonsense. "Oh I'm allowed to tell Rape Jokes, I'm a Rapist"

If being black and being a rapist were in any way comparable, that might make sense... That you equated them is interesting in and of itself.

#21 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,905 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:29

If being black and being a rapist were in any way comparable, that might make sense... That you equated them is interesting in and of itself.

I'm not saying they are comparable in that way, my comparison was to show the ridiculous notion that people think they can make offensive jokes/remarks because they're the audience that the joke was meant to offend. The fact you think I was trying to compare the 2 groups is interesting in and of itself. 

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:30

I read that she used the N word a long time ago back in the late 80s! I think its absurd that they would cancel her show for that.

I agree. It was a different America back in those days. All this PC stuff is just getting ridiculous.

#23 thomastmc

thomastmc

• 1,329 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:09

I'm not comparing the 2 groups of people, my comparison was people assuming they can make offensive jokes/remarks, because they're the audience that the joke was meant to offend. The fact you think I was trying to compare the 2 groups is interesting in and of itself. 

Come on Rodney... Teyla would be giving you that look right now that lets you know that she's imaging castrating you, Shepherd would be shaking his head, and Zalenka would be looking around at everyone as if to say "I told you so". This is worse than that time you blew up 1/3 of a solar system early in season 2 because you thought you could get the Ancients' new power source to work. (I love Stargate)

A                               B

"I can say that word, I'm black".

C                                                      D

"Oh I'm allowed to tell Rape Jokes, I'm a Rapist"

A because B ~ C because D : Because A is like C and B is like D.

Is it really all that interesting that someone might think that in the two above examples you give to illustrate your comparative analogy that you're equating the two?

As to why your comparative analogy makes no sense... One is a race of people, the other is an individual who has committed a violently offensive act. It is heinous to choose to be a rapist, it is completely fine to be born black. One is a word that was used to subjugate a race, the other is making light of a violent crime that traumatized a victim. One is a word used by a race that has been subjugated with it in order to remove the negative "power" of the word and uplift themselves past it, the other is something that no mature and rational person would tolerate.

By the way, I would love to hear your best rapist joke... Especially the one that's offensive only to rapists :)

#24 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,905 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:19

Come on Rodney... Teyla would be giving you that look right now that lets you know that she's imaging castrating you, Shepherd would be shaking his head, and Zalenka would be looking around at everyone as if to say "I told you so". This is worse than that time you blew up 1/3 of a solar system early in season 2 because you thought you could get the Ancients' new power source to work. (I love Stargate)

A                               B

"I can say that word, I'm black".

C                                                      D

"Oh I'm allowed to tell Rape Jokes, I'm a Rapist"

A because B ~ C because D : Because A is like C and B is like D.

Is it really all that interesting that someone might think that in the two above examples you give to illustrate your comparative analogy that you're equating the two?

As to why your comparative analogy makes no sense... One is a race of people, the other is an individual who has committed a violently offensive act. It is heinous to choose to be a rapist, it is completely fine to be born black. One is a word that was used to subjugate a race, the other is making light of a violent crime that traumatized a victim. One is a word used by a race that has been subjugated with it in order to remove the negative "power" of the word and uplift themselves past it, the other is something that no mature and rational person would tolerate.

By the way, I would love to hear your best rapist joke... Especially the one that's offensive only to rapists :)

You're looking far too deep into trying to make me seem like I think Black people and Rapists are the same. So you're saying Blacks should be able to use the N word, why should they? Why are they so special? Just because the one individual black person using the word isn't offended by it, doesn't mean all the other black people who hear it wont be? Why is it deemed not offensive coming from a Black person?

Ok, if you don't like that comparison how about this one

"I'm allowed to tell Holocaust Jokes, I'm Jewish"

#25 thomastmc

thomastmc

• 1,329 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:21

"I'm allowed to tell Holocaust Jokes, I'm Jewish"

Better... I was looking forward to a good rapist joke though :)

You're looking far too deep into trying to make me seem like I think Black people and Rapists are the same. So you're saying Blacks should be able to use the N word, why should they? Why are they so special? Just because the one individual black person using the word isn't offended by it, doesn't mean all the other black people who hear it wont be? Why is it deemed not offensive coming from a Black person?

Because they're not the ones that gave it that negative power (connotation). Whites are the ones that gave it that negative power. When it comes from the source of the negative power, it is different, and it's easily mistaken or interpreted in a negative way. Because it is used in a negative way still, by the source of the negative power of the word. 

Edited by thomastmc, 23 June 2013 - 04:26.

#26 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,905 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:38

Because they're not the ones that gave it that negative power (connotation). Whites are the ones that gave it that negative power. When it comes from the source of the negative power, it is different, and it's easily mistaken or interpreted in a negative way. Because it is used in a negative way still, by the source of the negative power of the word. 

So you still think Black people should be given special treatment and be allowed to keep using the word? That's treating Blacks differently, because they're black. That's Racism pure and simple. 

#27 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,264 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:04

the reason the word still has "power" in people's eyes is because they let it...  it's like teasing someone, or saying 'nayh nayh, i have xyz and you don't!', as soon as the person says that they don't care that you have xyz and they don't want it, it loses it's power...

if people would stop careing about the N-word, it would lose it's power....

#28 thomastmc

thomastmc

• 1,329 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:26

So you still think Black people should be given special treatment and be allowed to keep using the word? That's treating Blacks differently, because they're black. That's Racism pure and simple. 

Some do describe racism as any observation of the differences between the races. People who don't understand affirmative action, or Stephen Colbert for instance, when he's trying to highlight the absurdity of that logic.

I think that any intelligent person knows that racism (in the true meaning of the word as used in the everyday vernacular) is usually defined as:

Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior, or superior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

Special treatment for using a word? Is this high school? Is it something that you really want to, or have to say? Does it somehow make the white race less desirable or inferior for not being able to use that word without offending someone, and the black race more desirable or superior because they can without offense to themselves?

This, however, has nothing to do with the racial attributes, similarities, or differences of the black or white races. You could interchange blacks with any race, and whites with any race, and it wouldn't change the context of this argument. This is a sociological phenomena, and would be true of any race of people that were forced into slavery for hundreds of years by one race, believed to be less than human (3/5ths) by that race, treated less than human by that race, and had certain demeaning words used to denote their difference as a non-human or less than human by that race.

You walk around using the "N" word and not being a racist... I'll be content to not use the word and have people like you think that I'm a racist :)

#29 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,292 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:30

Ahh yes, the real racists are black people because you can't use racist slurs to identify them.

#30 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• 1,225 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:32

First I want to say that I don't defend racism at all and my wife watches the show but I don't.

The N word should never be used at all and is unacceptable.

Second,  This is all about social networks and why I don't like the social networks on the Internet.

The fact that anyone's life can be ruined over something someone said years and years ago and leaked it to the Internet and knowing that you can get fired over that is just as unacceptable.

Social networks have too much power and that power can be used as propaganda to sink entire companies.

I think that is very scary and that is too powerful. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!