• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 2,998 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:19

what was he going to do ? get the broom and sweep her up ? .... he does not have to save her... his only obligation is to make sure stuff is clean and in its place before he leaves... I hope they family lose the case and are told to shut up

#17 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,876 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:27

“No dollar amount will bring my daughter back,”

I hope then that she is planning to donate any money to a good charity, instead of pocketing it.

#18 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

• 2,869 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:37

There were two problems.

1) He should have called 911 immediately

2) They were apparently in violation about the auto-defibrillator and trained staff member

I think that all of the rest of the stuff about how he didn't go into the bathroom (to do what? "Yup, she's collapsed all right!") and about the other staff member knowing CPR are pretty irrelevant. "Knowing CPR" and being qualified to perform it at a moment's notice are two different things. 

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,687 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:51

Why would smith perform CPR if the person had a pulse. as far as I know you're not supposed to do at least heart compressions on a person with a pulse...

#20 kazuyette

kazuyette

Neowinian

• 1,867 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 and loving it too ^^

Posted 26 June 2013 - 13:27

what was he going to do ? get the broom and sweep her up ? .... he does not have to save her... his only obligation is to make sure stuff is clean and in its place before he leaves... I hope they family lose the case and are told to shut up

Are you ironic or just plain stupid ? Or maybe you're just an ugly troll ...

#21 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,528 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 13:38

What, no one else could call 911?  Everyone has a cell phone these days.  But hey, blame it on the employee to make a buck.  Yes, the employee should of called 911 but maybe he panicked.  And what else was he supposed to do?  If he didnt know what he was doing, could cause more harm than good.

#22 matt4pack

matt4pack

Neowinian

• 787 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 13:44

I don't even see why a gym should be required to have someone to perform cpr and know how to use a defibrillator.  A gym employee is not a lifeguard who's full time job is saving people and shouldn't have that responsibility.  If you're going to start a precedent like that then you might as well say every place should have someone for it which would be completely unrealistic.  

Also no one else there had a cell phone?  Is this story from like 1995?

#23 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

Neowinian

• 483 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 13:51

Good samaritan laws protect those who do act.

Sadly, those laws do not exist in every state, and sometimes even when they do exist, they only protect against criminal prosecution, but civil lawsuits are perfectly fine to bring against the Samaritan 

#24 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,216 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 14:09

I don't even see why a gym should be required to have someone to perform cpr and know how to use a defibrillator.  A gym employee is not a lifeguard who's full time job is saving people and shouldn't have that responsibility.  If you're going to start a precedent like that then you might as well say every place should have someone for it which would be completely unrealistic.  

Also no one else there had a cell phone?  Is this story from like 1995?

The gym still has a duty of care to look after it's clients. This guy isn't personally responsible, but the gym is liable, not for her death, but for the very poor handling of an emergency. It's already stated that a violation has been committed and with this guy not having a clue what to do i can only assume more violations have been comitted aswell. 

#25 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 2,998 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 26 June 2013 - 18:17

Are you ironic or just plain stupid ? Or maybe you're just an ugly troll ...

says the person trying to get a reaction out of me by calling me a troll? pfft what ever :) ....just pointing out with an extra thick layer,,, that he does not have to help her... even if he was allowed in the bathroom... 

#26 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 19:10

I meant immediately but I guess that no one can read between the lines...

#27 kazuyette

kazuyette

Neowinian

• 1,867 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 and loving it too ^^

Posted 26 June 2013 - 20:57

says the person trying to get a reaction out of me by calling me a troll? pfft what ever :) ....just pointing out with an extra thick layer,,, that he does not have to help her... even if he was allowed in the bathroom... 

I don't want any kind of reactions from you just an answer and I got it :  you're just stupid. Where I live, if this kind of emergency occurs and you don't do anything ( as simple as calling the local emergency number) you go to jail. Simple.

I really hope that the stupid staff member and everyone responsiblefor that will serve some time in jail for what they havn't done ...

#28 Kelxin

Kelxin

Neowinian

• 607 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 23:21

I don't want any kind of reactions from you just an answer and I got it :  you're just stupid. Where I live, if this kind of emergency occurs and you don't do anything ( as simple as calling the local emergency number) you go to jail. Simple.

I really hope that the stupid staff member and everyone responsiblefor that will serve some time in jail for what they havn't done ...

Yep, feel free to drop dead in front of me.  You'll notice I won't even blink or flintch, not my job to help, nor my desire.

#29 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,880 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:04

Worries about getting sued aside, I don't think much of anyone's humanity if they can just stand by and let someone die without doing SOMEthing!

It's a sad sad world we live in today; I could never just stand idly by, no matter what.

#30 jasondefaoite

jasondefaoite

Neowinian

• 1,487 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:23

As Dick talked to the 911 operator via cellphone — eight minutes after members alerted the front desk — another Planet Fitness employee, Kristin Smith, showed up in the locker room and “immediately” checked Hamlin’s pulse, finding it “weak,” the lawyer says.

Smith knows CPR but didn’t perform it, Charnas alleged.

Why would you need to perform CPR if the person still has a pulse?