How to respond to an anti Conspiracy Theorist

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,344 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 16:47

There are some factual mistakes about the Manhattan Project in that post. And that bothers me, when someone grabs some true story, adds lies to it and posts everything as a whole truth.

#17 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,195 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:12

Eye witnesses count in a murder trial. ;)

Yeah and in experiments they have been PROVEN to be unreliable.

#18 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,657 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:23

Video related

sometimes the conspiracy come true, say prism etc..  

No that was an entirely different claim now with sufficent evidance.

#19 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,812 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:24

Scepticism is a good word. Thanks for bringing it up.

The conspiracy theorists are sceptics in regards to the official propaganda, "the evidence" distributed by the mainstream media.

Isn't that kind of like saying Christans are just skectical of all other religions?

#20 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,190 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:27

Whenever i suspect that someone is a conspiracy theorist i treat them normally until they go into crazy mode at which point i simply walk away.

#21 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

Long time reader

• 1,495 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:43

The really scary one's are Anti-conspiracy theorists unwittingly conspiring! How do you respond to THAT!

#22 TheAncientOne

TheAncientOne

Neowinian

• 165 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:47

One way of thinking that I always use is the analogy of the judicial system.

Everyone knows and expects that the judge/jury would hear the cases presented by both the plaintiff and the defendant, and make a ruling based on the evidences presented.  Once careful analysis of the evidences have come to pass, the verdict is to be expected.

So with anything in life, I think it would be wise to always carefully consider the case (it could be anything) presented to you; weigh the evidences (if any) and judiciously make a fair judgement.  

Can you imagine the outrage, no matter where you are in the world, if a judge/jury listened to only one side without given the other side the chance it needs to present their case?  Yet people are so quick to dismiss an idea/theory that's contrary to what the government/media outlets are telling them.

It's easy to just take someone else's word for something that happened--it requires little thought or time to research.  Only when we start challenging (in a civil, well-mannered way of course) things that are presented to us in life will we find the truth, and the truth shall set you free from the bondage of ignorance!

#23 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,207 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 20:44

Eye witnesses count in a murder trial. ;)

Eye witnesses corroborate other supporting evidence, on their own though they are very weak in terms of evidence. Just look at the Zimmerman trial, multiple eye witnesses, along with multiple conflicting stories.  ;)

#24 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,793 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 02 July 2013 - 23:09

Isn't that kind of like saying Christans are just skectical of all other religions?

Pretty much. Although, religious people from one faith who offer sceptical analysis of another usually don't realise they're creating a blueprint which can be used to critically analyse their own. Example: a Christian dismisses Islamic miracles because of a lack of evidence.