VPN (Or Maybe Not?) For About 15 Users

Thanks again for helping everyone! As you see my brother in law did indeed post, so I believe he has it from here.

But from what I am reading, a cloud based solution no doubt sounds like the way to go.

The only experience I have with any cloud related stuff is for applications that were created for my work, and I have a very basic understanding of just exactly what is going on, but I do know it is very light data storage and transfer for iPad applications.

One of the apps uses Akamai Cloud services. The other uses Amazon. At the most we are talking downloads of 30-50 MB video files, and the data being transferred back (or up) to the servers is just kilobytes of information. Check in type stuff to make sure files from the servers are synced down to the iPad. So really low level stuff compared to what needs to be done here.

So again thanks for the fast replies and the help. Very much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not expert in this stuff BUT, based on what I'm reading the best option would go like this:

All remote users would have a copy of the files needed on their laptops (guessing it would be a laptop)

Use Dropbox/Sharepoint/SkyDrive/Self Hosted Cloud (possibly the least reliable option) to save only the changes made to the files while remote

Once back on the local intranet then they could resync the whole file if necessary. 

The Cloud option could work well if there is a need for more than one user to have access and make changes to the main file too since only the changes would sync up immediately, but by the sound of it, it seems like less of an issue, and I know with DropBox you can have it save different versions of the file if changes for versioning control, I'm guessing SkyDrive has the same option, sharepoint is built for that so it should be good and of course a self hosted option can be setup to do all that if needed too

If security is a concern then SkyDrive Pro or Sharepoint and the self hosted options would be the best choice, not that I feel there's any security issues with DropBox, but SD Pro  and ShP can be managed locally and reduce some of the security fears management might have