Android 4.3 Questions

Ok, so I have the 1st gen Nexus 7 running unrooted stock android 4.2.2. I'm trying to get the new 4.3 update. When I go to Settings -> About Tablet -> System updates it says there are none. Am I missing something? When Google said "the people with nexus devices will be updated today" did they just mean they will begin rolling it out?

Things I tried:

1. Waiting 24 hours

2. http://marakana.com/s/post/1321/force_an_ota_update_on_your_android_nexus_device

Am I the only one? Help please? :)

I am sure they are rolling out..  just give them time before you get it.. you may get it within a few hours or tomorrow depends on which server your device is connected to.

Give it a couple of days. They do rolling releases as not to overload their servers with every single Nexus updating at once. That or I'm sure you can find a copy over at XDA.

Either remain patient for an OTA update or just download 4.3 from Google https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#takjujzo54k

Literally in the last couple of minutes, Chainfire has released an updated root method as the previous didn't work properly. If interested, head on over here https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/Jkuu84odnx6

Ya I am still waiting on my OTA for my N7. If it's not done by tomorrow afternoon I plan to side load the official image from Google.

little late now, however i was going to suggest just downloading it from google and sideloading it yourself. no need to root that way.

I just got an update notification on my N7 as well. Waiting for it to download at the moment.

I got the notification on my Nexus 7 and it's installing now. I also just picked up the new Nexus 7. Ironically that is also installing a 51 MB update to Android 4.3

I got the notification on my Nexus 7 and it's installing now. I also just picked up the new Nexus 7. Ironically that is also installing a 51 MB update to Android 4.3

Quick question if you don't mind---How much more snappy is it compared to the original? :)

I've used these instructions to get the update early - http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/26/how-to-update-your-2012-nexus-7-to-android-4-3-jwr66v-and-root-it-right-now/

It can take a few weeks for it to show up under the update check.

Don't forget this little app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appaholics.applauncher&hl=en

Which give you access to the hidden/functional advaced app premission manager. ex. you can Kill facbook's app location access but not globally turn location access off for all apps.

I've notice it's a little bit snappier/responsive over all, especially in launching some games (I have orginal Nexus 7, Wifi Only, 8gb - Not the new 2nd Gen Nexus 7).

Quick question if you don't mind---How much more snappy is it compared to the original? :)

Much snappier. Not only is the CPU faster, the storage IO seems a lot faster. I did a quick first impressions, check it out: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1167151-nexus-7-2013-first-impressions/#entry595841293

Android 4.3 enables fstrim, so the new Nexus 7 shouldn't slow down over time. I personally am loving the new Nexus 7. My favorite features so far are: 1920x1200 resolution and display, stereo speakers, and the performance. This is everything the first gen. Nexus 7 should've been.

• Like 2

Much snappier. Not only is the CPU faster, the storage IO seems a lot faster. I did a quick first impressions, check it out: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1167151-nexus-7-2013-first-impressions/#entry595841293

Android 4.3 enables fstrim, so the new Nexus 7 shouldn't slow down over time. I personally am loving the new Nexus 7. My favorite features so far are: 1920x1200 resolution and display, stereo speakers, and the performance. This is everything the first gen. Nexus 7 should've been.

Thanks! And nice keyboard! 

I was under the impression that tablets wouldn't get the update until after the new Nexus 7 came out. Guess I was wrong?

I was under the impression that tablets wouldn't get the update until after the new Nexus 7 came out. Guess I was wrong?

What tablets are you talking about? If you're talking about Nexus 7/10, then 4.3 is being pushed right now. I got the OTA for 4.3 on my 1st gen. Nexus 7 (ironically the day I got the new Nexus 7)

Thanks! And nice keyboard! 

Thanks! Microsoft Sidewinder X6 for those who are wondering. 

What tablets are you talking about? If you're talking about Nexus 7/10, then 4.3 is being pushed right now. I got the OTA for 4.3 on my 1st gen. Nexus 7 (ironically the day I got the new Nexus 7)

Thanks! Microsoft Sidewinder X6 for those who are wondering. 

I have the 7 and 10. I was trying that method that some posted using the Android SDk but it says it won't install because I don't have Java SDK installed. SO, I installed Java SDK and it still says I don't have Java SDK installed. This is on Windows 8.1

I have the 7 and 10. I was trying that method that some posted using the Android SDk but it says it won't install because I don't have Java SDK installed. SO, I installed Java SDK and it still says I don't have Java SDK installed. This is on Windows 8.1

Try this. Basically, you clear the data for Google services framework, and re-check for updates. It may not work the first time, but I'd repeat it a few times. 

Make sure you match 32bit / 64bit.

Ex. If you have the 64 bit Andriod SDK, make sure you install the 64bit java sdk.

(Edit) You may also need this driver (I had to force install) when it's connected in recover mode.

https://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

OK even though I have 64-bit Windows I had to install the 322-bit Java, so I got the SDK to install. The problem now is that no matter what I can't get the USB driver to install. I've browsed to it, forced it, everything. It just won't update and the device shows up under other devices with a ! and I can't sideload 4.3

Well, I couldn't get my Nexus 7 to show up in device manager no matter what I tried on Windows 8. So, I tried it on my Mac. I did ./adb sideload *** and it appears to be working and then when it gets to 100% I look at the Nexus is says "Verifying update package" and then "Installation aborted". And yes, the image was downloaded right from Google and it's the right one for my device. I have a feeling I should just wait, I am just fixated on trying to get it updated now but nothing is working...

Well, I couldn't get my Nexus 7 to show up in device manager no matter what I tried on Windows 8. So, I tried it on my Mac. I did ./adb sideload *** and it appears to be working and then when it gets to 100% I look at the Nexus is says "Verifying update package" and then "Installation aborted". And yes, the image was downloaded right from Google and it's the right one for my device. I have a feeling I should just wait, I am just fixated on trying to get it updated now but nothing is working...

Well, I'd check the MD5 of your downloaded file then :)

Well I resolved it. Apparently, Ii was trying to update with the TGZ files from Google which you can't do. I used the zip file that someone linked here and then it updated. I tried to put my Nexus 10 into recovery mode so I update it to but on the screen to select the recovery mode option it was saying "Downloading, don't turn off your device". I waited for a couple hours and it was pretty hot and nothing happened. I rebooted and got the same thing. I suppose I can just wait for it to be pushed, I just had hoped I could do the same thing on my 10 since I'm all set to do it.