• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,836 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 26 July 2013 - 21:25

Nexus 7 (2nd Generation - 2013) is officially being released July 30th 2013. I got mine courtesy of Bestbuy, as they were selling them a little early. 

Hardware:

·         CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro @ 1.50 GHz (Quad core)

·         Graphics: Adreno 320 @ 400 MHz

·         Storage: 16 or 32 GB

·         Memory: 2 GB RAM

·         Display: 7.02” IPS LCD with 1920x1200 pixels (323 ppi)

·         Battery: Lithium-ion 3950 mAh (non-removable), Qi wireless charging

·         Camera:

o    Front: 1.2 MP

o    Rear: 5.0 MP

·         Dimensions: (7.9” x 4.5” x 0.341” inches) or 200x114x8.65 mm

·         Weight: WiFi: 290 g. (10 oz.) LTE: 299 g. (10.5 oz.)

Design: 

The new Nexus 7 is ever so taller and slightly narrower than its predecessor. It is wonderful to hold in your hands, and like its predecessor, it can be operated in just one hand. The button layout is exactly the same as the first generation Nexus 7. New for this model is the rear facing 5.0 MP camera with 1080P video recording capability, notification light (right below the on-screen home button), and also dual stereo speakers. The display is very crisp and the viewing angles are excellent. Google says it is the highest resolution 7 inch tablet on the market yet. The stereo speakers sound good, and it makes it an ideal portable device for watching videos and listening to music. The bezels on the side of the display have also shrunk, while the top and bottom bezels have grown slightly. My only gripe is the power button is a little flush therefore making it a little difficult to push. Interestingly enough, the headphone port has moved to the top of the device. Overall, it is solid to hold in your hand, and I give it a 4.5/5 on design.

Performance:

The new Nexus 7 is very snappy and is extremely quick to switch between applications. The old Nexus 7 was also very fast when it was released. However, it had a tendency to slow down, and this was particularly the case if you had the 8GB model and had <3 GB of free space. Let’s see if Google can manage to keep this Nexus 7 optimized and speedy.  I tried Doodle Jump and Temple Run 2, both play great, no stutters. I will give it a 5/5 on performance for now.

Unboxing:

Included in the box: Nexus 7, USB data/charging cable, AC adapter, and quick start guides.

DSCN3049.JPG

DSCN3052.JPG

DSCN3053.JPG

DSCN3055.JPG

Nexus 7 2012 (Left) vs. Nexus 7 2013 (Right)

DSCN3056.JPG

DSCN3057.JPG

DSCN3058.JPG

I have yet a chance to test battery life. What else would you guys like to know about? 

#2 Ishanx

Ishanx

Neowinian

• 283 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 21:26

Off-topic: love your workstation, man.

#3 OP tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,836 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 21:30

Off-topic: love your workstation, man.

Thanks, one of these days I have to do cable management. You can see there are a lot of cables just everywhere.

#4 cetla

cetla

Neowinian

• 200 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 21:43

Does the materials feel more durable? My Nexus 7 is getting rather flexy over that last 6 months. I feel like if I drop it the next time, it'll just fall into pieces.

#5 arachnoid

arachnoid

A day without sunshine is like night.

• 4,714 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 21:42

Reviews say its 2mm thinner with better battery life even with a higher resolution screen.

Can you do a comparative test of some applications on the two and give some feedback please?

#6 OP tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,836 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 22:17

Does the materials feel more durable? My Nexus 7 is getting rather flexy over that last 6 months. I feel like if I drop it the next time, it'll just fall into pieces.

Yes, I think it feels solid. I bought my original Nexus 7 a year ago (upon release), and I find that durable. Out of the two, I give the durability/build quality factor to the 2013 Nexus 7. Not sure where you live, but see if you can check out the new model at a store :)

Reviews say its 2mm thinner with better battery life even with a higher resolution screen.

Can you do a comparative test of some applications on the two and give some feedback please?

Yep, the new device being thinner and lighter is great - it makes it easier to hold and more enjoyable. Any applications you want me to test specifically? I have tried Chrome, Google Maps, Temple Run 2, Doodle Jump,  Flipboard, Baconreader (Reddit client), Youtube, Netflix, and all are snappier on the Nexus 7 2013 compared to the 2012 version. Maps is much smoother on the new device (from opening to panning around), and Chrome is faster (things like scrolling, pinch to zoom, etc.). 

#7 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,380 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:17

Nice one, published to main (Y)

#8 Frankenchrist

Frankenchrist

With no A's

• 192 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:54

My only gripe with the old N7 is that since I don't have 20/20 vision, I have to zoom a lot to get text readable.

Is the text smaller than on the old, as the PPI is higher? A comparision screenshot from the same webpage for example would be nice.

#9 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• 2,323 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:58

Great review. I had no idea Best Buy was selling them so I did an in store search and 1 of the 4 in my area has them so I ordered it for pickup today! Hopefully I can cancel my order on the play store.

#10 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,385 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:39

What webcam is that?

#11 OP tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,836 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 13:30

Nice one, published to main (Y)

Thank you! :) I'll try and update with a full review.

My only gripe with the old N7 is that since I don't have 20/20 vision, I have to zoom a lot to get text readable.

Is the text smaller than on the old, as the PPI is higher? A comparision screenshot from the same webpage for example would be nice.

So, since it's a Nexus device, it only comes with the Chrome browser out of the box. The text isn't smaller due to the resolution increase - it gets scaled. You can go into Chrome settings -> Accessibility -> Change text scaling from 100% (up to 200%). You can also Force Enable Zoom, which allows you to zoom in on websites where you typically can't. You can also change the font size in the Android system settings. I've attached some (crappy) pictures below. I'm sorry for the quality, my next investment is a decent digital camera. 

Great review. I had no idea Best Buy was selling them so I did an in store search and 1 of the 4 in my area has them so I ordered it for pickup today! Hopefully I can cancel my order on the play store.

Thanks! Yep! I read on Friday morning Bestbuy was selling them early, so I ordered online for in-store pickup. I then got an email half hour later saying it was ready to be picked up. I went after work to pick it up, simple enough! I also ordered a Chromecast through the Play store (before Amazon/Bestbuy put it up for sale on their sites). I tried to cancel from the Play Store and it wouldn't let me. I got an email from the Play Store saying the Chromecast was shipped on Saturday, and it should be in my possession on Thursday.

What webcam is that?

Microsoft Lifecam Studio. It's the 1080p version and is excellent for video chat. Microsoft's website says MSRP is $99, but it can be had for much cheaper. There is also a 720p version - Lifecam Cinema

Websites: (Nexus 7 2012 on left. Nexus 7 2013 on right)

DSCN3066.JPG

DSCN3067.JPG

#12 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,385 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:05

Thank you

#13 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,870 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:06

is it me or does the new nexus 7 have even more bezel on the top and bottom?

#14 OP tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,836 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:13

is it me or does the new nexus 7 have even more bezel on the top and bottom?

Yep, the new Nexus 7 has more bezel on top and bottom, but less on the sides. If you hold it in a landscape orientation (on the side), it works out with people with bigger hands. My only gripe with holding it in landscape orientation is my hand always covers the rear camera, thus getting the lens dirty with my fingerprints. Now, I never expect to take pictures with a tablet (looks silly), but the OCD in me doesn't like it

#15 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• 2,323 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:23

I ordered the Chromecast too! I have an AV receiver with my TV and everything running through it but it has an HDMI and USB port on the front, hopefully perfect for the Chromecast.