Photo

Passenger abandons luggage to avoid $1,400 fee

washington delta airlines bomb disposal unit bureau of transportation checked bags

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Biohead

Biohead

Neowinian

• 646 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:12

hC77C149F

#17 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,978 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:12

Not really, but Delta sometimes stands for "Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport"

Brit here, flew Delta airlines to and from America. They folded the TV's down before take-off and landing to show us Commercials. All of them American ones. Do they really think I'm going to buy a brand new Ford Pickup Truck on my Holiday? Then I got showed the same commercials on the flight back to the UK.

Everyone stared at me because I threw my hands up and said "Well it's too late to buy my Pickup Truck now!" a little to loud  :woot:

hC77C149F

You realize that 747 has been completely stripped down, it's essentially a hollow shell, with a Cockpit on the front.

#18 Biohead

Biohead

Neowinian

• 646 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:14

You realize that 747 has been completely stripped down, it's essentially a hollow shell, with a Cockpit on the front.

Someone missed the funny  :rofl:

#19 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,236 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:15

Brit here, flew Delta airlines to and from America. They folded the TV's down before take-off and landing to show us Commercials. All of them American ones. Do they really think I'm going to buy a brand new Ford Pickup Truck on my Holiday? Then I got showed the same commercials on the flight back to the UK.

Everyone stared at me because I threw my hands up and said "Well it's too late to buy my Pickup Truck now!" a little to loud  :woot:

lol, in all fairness, I tend to get that kind of experience on any foreign airline.

#20 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,978 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:20

lol, in all fairness, I tend to get that kind of experience on any foreign airline.

With Commercials? I've never had them lol. Flown with British Airlines, Thomas Cook, KLM, Turkish Airlines. Not until I flew with Delta was I shown commercials, and I noticed that everything in my seat area had the Coca Cola logo on it somewhere  :rofl:.

That had its advantages though, always normally get Water or Juice with my meals, not Coca Cola, which I liked.

#21 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,299 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:23

I don't understand who's traveling with that many bags and doesn't know that there are restrictions in place, why did they they need that many for a trip?

Cheaper to FedEx them to your destination, and probably less of a chance of getting lost.

#22 jwjw1

jwjw1

Neowinian

• 4,432 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:30

I wonder what Kim Kardashian had to pay for her weekend trip.... :laugh:

luggage_tower_by_saint_seiya.jpg

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:32

^ More than we make in a lifetime, I suspect.

#24 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,554 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 23:03

It's actually an offense to do that here in Australia, you could be whacked with a $5,500 fine if you try it...

#25 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,716 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:42

With fees that obscene I don't blame them.

7 bags though? Who the ###### travels with 7 bags? If you're moving, use a god dam moving company...

The reason why airlines in the US now charge for ###### like packed bags, food etc is because people constantly keep complaining about ticket prices even though they're way cheaper than what they were 10-20 years ago.

Basically most, if not all, of the airlines costs have gone up, not gone down:

Fuel: Massively increased in the past decade or two.
Planes: Aren't really any cheaper, they either cost the same or cost more.
Maintenance: The price per hour probably hasn't changed and the parts are more expensive. Required MX hasn't changed either but less things probably break. So it's tough to say without figures from the airlines.
Pensions: Again, tough to say without figures from the airlines. But to use Delta as an example, they had $890 million net profit on $36 billion revenue. They spent over $1 billion on pensions alone.
More taxes and fees: Taxes, landing fees etc have all gone up.

Basically everything costs more for the airlines but ticket prices have still dropped significantly. Hence the need for fees. Is it fair? Depends. But if you don't like them, then be prepared to pay more for a ticket. Airlines aren't exactly rolling in profit, most US airlines have declared bankruptcy in the past decade.

I was on a flight from Orlando to Seattle (pretty much across the country) and the guy in the line in front of me was complaining about how his $400 round trip ticket was a rip off and how stuff was so much cheaper in the past. 1. No they weren't. 2. You can't get from Orlando to Seattle and back for cheaper than $400. If you were to drive it would cost you a hell of a lot more and take you like a week.

---

If you think baggage fees are pathetic take a look at the breakdown of the taxes you pay for your plane ticket ;)

- September 11 (9/11) security fee (I wish I was ###### you that is an actual fee you pay for buying a plane ticket).
- US Ticket Tax - 7.5% of your ticket cost. Just a tax that goes to the federal government
- US Federal Segment Tax - No idea what this tax is for but it's just another tax the federal government charges you.
- Travel Facilities Tax - Want to fly to Alaska or Hawaii? Let's tax you for that too.

#26 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

• 2,605 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 16:38

ooof, thats why I always pack everything I can into ONE backpack, if it doesnt fit, its not important

#27 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,533 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 18:02

I wonder what Delta will do with the bags -- auction them off ?

Save them for when he returns ?

#28 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,929 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 18:09

I wonder what Delta will do with the bags -- auction them off ?

Save them for when he returns ?

Probably end up here :-

http://unclaimedbaggage.com/