new york

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,060 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:42

As pointed out some jobs that are in the business where tips are common practice pay less then minimum wage with the expectation of tips covering the rest. The food industry being the biggest with these paying practices. So the people in here that don't understand the reason or expectation of tips, clearly haven't spent a lot of time in these kinds of positions. With that said, this guy that made the tweet was completely out of line doing so. Those that work in these types of jobs also know that tips are not mandatory and is considered wrong to voice such a opinion in such a public way. 

#17 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,528 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:42

Not sure how it works where you are at, but in America...it is common knowledge to tip many places.  Some people only make a few bucks an hour as well and the rest is tips.

I get your point, but the whole point of a tip is just that, it's supposed to be voluntary, if it's expected, is it still a tip?

#18 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,060 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:46

Employers should pay legal/decent wages -- not rely on customer tips.

And I'd go to the grocery store and cook up my own food, before shelling out $170. :wacko:

Guess you missed the part that it was a company order, shelling out a $170 for a small company lunch/dinner is pretty normal for some.  :rolleyes:

#19 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,060 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:51

I get your point, but the whole point of a tip is just that, it's supposed to be voluntary, if it's expected, is it still a tip?

Voluntary for those paying, a small level of expectation for those doing the job. Pizza delivery guys for example pretty much expect tips and it shouldn't be out of the norm for those paying to have a bit of expectation to pay something. Pizza places rarely cover your gas costs and going through a tank or even two in a night isn't unheard of. With high gas prices and the lowered wage the joints pay their drivers, making ends meat as a delivery guy is one of the hardest jobs there is to get by but there is always a need for them. 

#20 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,919 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:54

True, not mandatory.  But if you put a bunch of people through all that work and they bust their ass to serve you, the human/adult/right thing to do is to tip and show your appreciation. And tips should be based on the service an quality you receive.

And is some places, gratuity is added to the check so I guess some places it is mandatory.  If you can afford to spend all that money on service, you can afford to tip.  If you cannot afford to tip on a bill that big, then maybe you should be taking sack lunches to work.

#21 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,528 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 00:05

True, not mandatory.  But if you put a bunch of people through all that work and they bust their ass to serve you, the human/adult/right thing to do is to tip and show your appreciation. And tips should be based on the service an quality you receive.

And is some places, gratuity is added to the check so I guess some places it is mandatory.  If you can afford to spend all that money on service, you can afford to tip.  If you cannot afford to tip on a bill that big, then maybe you should be taking sack lunches to work.

This actually brings me to something I editted out of my first comment, the amount of food that was ordered would have been cheaper to buy in some fast food joints, ok it wouldn't be the same quality, but in quantity, then said employee, and by extension, the company, would have made nothing on the order as it wouldn't have existed. I get trying to earn a living in cut throat trades, food, fashion etc.. is hard, but if this employee has such a problem not receiving a tip, then he should re think his attitude, as there will always be someone else who is willing to do his job. I, like you, and everyone here, live in the real world, we all know job security is becoming more and more rare. I guess I just found this employee to be an ungrateful little sh*t, with his tweet.

#22 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,392 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 00:16

I'm pretty sure when you work a food truck that you don't live off of tips much like how the people who work takeout get paid regular wage. This is why the people who work inside a pizza place get minimum wage but the drivers get tip wages. I'm pretty sure this person just felt entitled to money for doing their job.

#23 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,919 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:01

This actually brings me to something I editted out of my first comment, the amount of food that was ordered would have been cheaper to buy in some fast food joints, ok it wouldn't be the same quality, but in quantity, then said employee, and by extension, the company, would have made nothing on the order as it wouldn't have existed. I get trying to earn a living in cut throat trades, food, fashion etc.. is hard, but if this employee has such a problem not receiving a tip, then he should re think his attitude, as there will always be someone else who is willing to do his job. I, like you, and everyone here, live in the real world, we all know job security is becoming more and more rare. I guess I just found this employee to be an ungrateful little sh*t, with his tweet.

What, so the company should be grateful that they picked that place to order food from?  Some people who rely on tips only get paid 3-4 bucks an hour.  That is below minimum wage.  Tips are part of they yearly income and they rely on it.  Like I said before, if you can afford to spent 170 on food and people bust their ass, then you can afford to tip and show your appreciation.  If the service was crap, by all means do not tip or tip accordingly.  I tipped a few times 2 cents because the service sucked.  The server was either rude, slow, or the food sucked.  Also, the tips are not just for the servers.  More often than not, the server has to split the tips with other servers and the back room staff.  You know, the ones who prepare your food, cook your food, and make sure it is to your liking.  For them to knowingly not tip on an order that big and for the people busting their ass to serve them, then I would call the non tippers ungrateful little ###### and cheap bastards that should next time think a little before ordering anything else from anyone else.  Yes, they could of ordered fast food.  But that is not quality food and very little time and care goes in to it.  Why fast food is much cheaper than other places.  Maybe next time the company should choose fast food since obviously they do not care about quality and service.

Should the employee of tweeted?  Maybe not, but I understand him and he was upset. The company's, the non tippers, name is now out there and lots of people now know who they are.  Maybe next time they will think before ordering again.

I'm pretty sure when you work a food truck that you don't live off of tips much like how the people who work takeout get paid regular wage. This is why the people who work inside a pizza place get minimum wage but the drivers get tip wages. I'm pretty sure this person just felt entitled to money for doing their job.

Some food trucks food are high quality and really good food you would get in a restaurant.  They work just as hard and take just as long a time cooking and preparing your food.  Its not like food trucks years ago, it is actually a better business now.  Of course, you still have those low quality food trucks...but then again, you have low quality restaurants as well.

#24 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,528 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:09

What, so the company should be grateful that they picked that place to order food from? Some people who rely on tips only get paid 3-4 bucks an hour. That is below minimum wage. Tips are part of they yearly income and they rely on it. Like I said before, if you can afford to spent 170 on food and people bust their ass, then you can afford to tip and show your appreciation. If the service was crap, by all means do not tip or tip accordingly. I tipped a few times 2 cents because the service sucked. The server was either rude, slow, or the food sucked. Also, the tips are not just for the servers. More often than not, the server has to split the tips with other servers and the back room staff. You know, the ones who prepare your food, cook your food, and make sure it is to your liking. For them to knowingly not tip on an order that big and for the people busting their ass to serve them, then I would call the non tippers ungrateful little ****s and cheap ******* that should next time think a little before ordering anything else from anyone else. Yes, they could of ordered fast food. But that is not quality food and very little time and care goes in to it. Why fast food is much cheaper than other places. Maybe next time the company should choose fast food since obviously they do not care about quality and service.

Should the employee of tweeted? Maybe not, but I understand him and he was upset. The company's, the non tippers, name is now out there and lots of people now know who they are. Maybe next time they will think before ordering again.

Some food trucks food are high quality and really good food you would get in a restaurant. They work just as hard and take just as long a time cooking and preparing your food. Its not like food trucks years ago, it is actually a better business now. Of course, you still have those low quality food trucks...but then again, you have low quality restaurants as well.

you do realised that can go both ways,
I think this has more change of doing damage to the food company more than the customer. And hold off on the shooting there, I was merely making a point, if you come to me, and buy something you want from me, it's your money you're spending, I don't think I have the right to expect a tip from you, nor would I tweet that.

Which brings me back to the question, if it's expected, is it a tip?
And yes this question has been answered by techbeck.

#25 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,919 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:10

you do realised that can go both ways,
I think this has more change of doing damage to the food company more than the customer. And hold off on the shooting there, I was merely making a point, if you come to me, and buy something you want from me, it's your money you're spending, I don't think I have the right to expect a tip from you, nor would I tweet that.

Shouting?  Where did I shout?  Did I use caps/exclamation marks someplace?

Buying something from you is different that having someone wait hand and foot on you and provide you with a special service.  Tipping is just the right thing to do and anyone who has ever been out in the real world would know this.

#26 Randolph

Randolph

Neowinian Senior

• 4,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:10

Find a new job. Times are hard. Not everyone has the extra cash to tip. Don't like it? That is too bad. This isn't 1999 anymore, its 2013. And don't come at me with that whole "well if you can afford the meal then you can afford the tip" bull crap. Just no.

#27 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,528 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:13

Shouting?  Where did I shout?  Did I use caps/exclamation marks someplace?

Buying something from you is different that having someone wait hand and foot on you and provide you with a special service.  Tipping is just the right thing to do and anyone who has ever been out in the real world would know this.

um, I didn't say shout, and 'special services'? What did you have in mind?

#28 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,919 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:18

Find a new job. Times are hard. Not everyone has the extra cash to tip. Don't like it? That is too bad. This isn't 1999 anymore, its 2013. And don't come at me with that whole "well if you can afford the meal then you can afford the tip" bull crap. Just no.

Tipping for service really has not changed much from 1999 to 2013...if at all.  And sorry, if times are that hard for you and the reason why someone doesnt tip...then maybe their spending habits need to be rethought.

um, I didn't say shout, and 'special services'? What did you have in mind?

You said shooting and thought it was a typo...my bad but dont know what you meant by shooting.

Someone preparing your meals for you is a special service.  I have worked in the industry and know people who still do.  It is not as cut and dry and some make it out to be.  There is lots more work that goes on than serving you or preparing your food.

#29 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,392 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:19

Which brings me back to the question, if it's expected, is it a tip?
And yes this question has been answered by techbeck.

Not sure I get the question but yes a tip is still a tip even if it's expected because it's not mandatory. The food is the same price if you use takeout or sit down. There are many times I get takeout because I don't feel like being waited on or because I don't feel like spending extra for the tip. However, if I'm sitting down and somebody literally has to serve me, I'm going to tip them. If you can't be arsed to tip someone who did everything for you except feed you, then get takeout.

There are times where I avoid scenarios where they expect you to tip. I try not to ride cabs, have my baggage handled, etc. because God forbid you get some thirsty bitch who will be vindictive that they didn't get extra money like this asshat in the story.

#30 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,919 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:22

Not sure I get the question but yes a tip is still a tip even if it's expected because it's not mandatory. The food is the same price if you use takeout or sit down. There are many times I get takeout because I don't feel like being waited on or because I don't feel like spending extra for the tip. However, if I'm sitting down and somebody literally has to serve me, I'm going to tip them. If you can't be arsed to tip someone who did everything for you except feed you, then get takeout.

There are times where I avoid scenarios where they expect you to tip. I try not to ride cabs, have my baggage handled, etc. because God forbid you get some thirsty bitch who will be vindictive that they didn't get extra money like this asshat in the story.

I will tip if food is delivered to me.  However, I do not if I just go and pick it up since I am using my gas and time to do so.  I tipped a delivery guy really good once since he delivered my food when it was pouring rain outside. The guy was soaked.