Photo

PS4 Hard Drive: Replaceable / Up-gradable.

ps4 harddrive storage upgrade sony hard drive

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:42

http://au.ign.com/ar...able-upgradable

we've now learned that that the system's 500GB hard drive can be removed and upgraded. Sony Worldwide Studio Head, Shuhei Yoshida, confirmed the news via Twitter early this morning. The move gives the PS4 yet another advantage over the Xbox One, which makes the hard drive inaccessible to consumers.

May be old news to some but doing a search via the forums shows no topics about this and it is great news to the PS community who want the ability to upgrade their PS4s.

#2 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:45

May be old news to some but doing a search via the forums shows no topics about this and it is great news to the PS community who want the ability to upgrade their PS4s.

Yeah its been known for a while. Its not any more an advantage this gen than it was last gen. You can hook up any external to an X1 or just use the unlimited cloud storage.

#3 OP GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:11

Yeah its been known for a while. Its not any more an advantage this gen than it was last gen. You can hook up any external to an X1 or just use the unlimited cloud storage.

I'm sure a few people will utilize it, plus it beats buying a new console just to have more storage on your console. Can buy a 4TB hard drive which will increase your storage 8x and not have to worry about storage for a long time.

Unlimited cloud storage is nice but I personally wont use it, If I upload a movie I have to re-download / stream it from the internet, if my connection isn't so great it means it will pause during buffering or if I'm on a download limit I will be using up my usage to watch a movie I already had.

In Australia the two largest ISPs offer only 500GB max uploads/downloads per month on their broadband plan, with my digital collection it will take 4 Months just to upload the movies to the Xbox cloud storage if I don't use the internet for anything else.

For games also, I can buy digitally and store 8x more games on the console if I upgrade to a 4TB hard drive. It comes down to time also, I dont want to delete games from my hard drive when im running out of space and then when I want to play the game again I have to re-download it which takes some time even with the play-as-you-download feature the PS4 has because it still needs to download core game files and initial game levels.

I'm confident I can fill up the 500GB, but a 4TB harddrive or when the next 6-8-10TB ones start coming out probably not.

#4 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:13

You can still buy a 4TB drive for the X1, you just have to hook it up as an external drive rather than internal. Its not much more expensive.

#5 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:30

http://www.neowin.ne...er-replaceable/

#6 OP GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:32

You can still buy a 4TB drive for the X1, you just have to hook it up as an external drive rather than internal. Its not much more expensive.

Xbox One external drive can be used to store games you purchased digitally?

A extra few bucks wont really be an issue, but the 360 didn't allow games to be stored on external hard drive (Its been a while since i tried maybe they changed it?) and the PS3 same as the PS4 wont allow external hard drives for games from what I've gathered.

#7 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:37

..Will I need a 500GB thumbdrive to transfer everything to first?

#8 OP GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:38

Ah yes, a space between hard + drive would've been the issue,

Thanks and for further discussion of topic please discuss in above mentioned thread.

#9 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:39

A extra few bucks wont really be an issue, but the 360 didn't allow games to be stored on external hard drive (Its been a while since i tried maybe they changed it?) and the PS3 same as the PS4 wont allow external hard drives for games from what I've gathered.

An external drive connected to the X1 can be used for everything the internal drive can be used for :)

http://www.engadget....one-hard-drive/

#10 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:40

They changed their tone when they dropped memory cards and allowed you to format USB sticks. You could install XBLA and put gamesaves on them, don't believe disc installs work. This was limited at 16GB, then upped to 32GB. Would be nice if the X1 just didn't care.

#11 pack34

pack34

Professional Electron Wrangler

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:51

I'm sure a few people will utilize it, plus it beats buying a new console just to have more storage on your console. Can buy a 4TB hard drive which will increase your storage 8x and not have to worry about storage for a long time.

Unlimited cloud storage is nice but I personally wont use it, If I upload a movie I have to re-download / stream it from the internet, if my connection isn't so great it means it will pause during buffering or if I'm on a download limit I will be using up my usage to watch a movie I already had.

In Australia the two largest ISPs offer only 500GB max uploads/downloads per month on their broadband plan, with my digital collection it will take 4 Months just to upload the movies to the Xbox cloud storage if I don't use the internet for anything else.

For games also, I can buy digitally and store 8x more games on the console if I upgrade to a 4TB hard drive. It comes down to time also, I dont want to delete games from my hard drive when im running out of space and then when I want to play the game again I have to re-download it which takes some time even with the play-as-you-download feature the PS4 has because it still needs to download core game files and initial game levels.

I'm confident I can fill up the 500GB, but a 4TB harddrive or when the next 6-8-10TB ones start coming out probably not.

Or you could do it the sane way and have all of your media stored on a NAS or home server so they are easily accessible from more than one device at home and you could even access them from any internet enabled device while away. As for the X1's cloud storage is best used for things like game saves. This way the allotted 500GB hard drive is more than enough for games and apps.

#12 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:15

So you can't replace the X1's HDD? Why not? I am all for enabling ext. HDDs, but I don't see the reason to deny consumers the ability to upgrade their internal storage as well.

.... Unless of course you want to charge them exorbitant prices on branded internal drives.

#13 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:15

They don't make 4TB 2.5" HDDs.

#14 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:18

Yeap, have done on the 360 since around 2010.

Its good that they've kept this feature moving forward. God knows why they've removed it for the X1.

#15 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:44

So you can't replace the X1's HDD? Why not? I am all for enabling ext. HDDs, but I don't see the reason to deny consumers the ability to upgrade their internal storage as well.

.... Unless of course you want to charge them exorbitant prices on branded internal drives.

Probably because it's such a niche desire that is remedied even more by letting people use external drives for everything that it's not worth their time to implement the ability to swap the OS (or rather, three OS's) onto a new hard drive.  Nobody cared much in the end last time around, so why bother this time.  Choice is nice, but sometimes not worth the time, effort, and money to implement.