new york library director dig into reading contest change the rules

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 16:39

I work in a library (IT). Libraries get their money from peoples taxes via a budget vote,. if one child keeps winning the whole time the other parents are more likely to never visit the library again and vote no on the next budget. It has to upset one kid and his family to keep the rest of the parents happy so that the library can continue to get its funding.

I hear ya but that's pretty damn sad. 

#47 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,991 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 13:22

Beloved Librarian Claims She Was Fired for Defending 9-Year-Old Contest Winner

"The kids call her Gram. That makes it even worse," Tyler's mother, Katie Weaver, tells Yahoo Shine. "Gram" is Lita Casey, a library aide who spent 28 years working at the Hudson Falls Free Library. But Casey says that the library's board of trustees let her go without reason this week, a month after Casey defended Tyler, who won the library's summer reading contest, "Dig into Reading," for the fifth time by reading the most books in a six-week period.

"I’m not very happy. I was not ready to leave," Casey, who's also a former preschool teacher, tells Yahoo Shine. "I loved my job, and I loved the little kids."

Weaver explains that the library controversy started when she called the local newspaper, the Post-Star, asking if they would feature Tyler’s win in the paper. "I called the paper because I was proud of Tyler," she says, "not because I wanted to complain."

According to Casey, a member of the library board called her Monday evening to let her know she'd been fired but wouldn't give her a reason. Casey, not surprisingly, is convinced that her firing is related to the controversy over the library's reading contest, but she hasn't been given a chance to speak with the board since and isn't happy about the whole thing."

http://shine.yahoo.c...-185514741.html

Attached Images

• WeaverCasey.jpg

#48 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,885 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 13:31

Because it is actually in line with the liberal style school system we have in the US. If everyone is special and everyone is a winner, that means that if anyone actually is a winner and special, they have to be held back so others aren't discouraged. Public school systems don't encourage there students to do better than average, which is a 70%. If you do, situations like this one happen and they try to separate you from the rest of the group because you destroy the idea that everyone is special and a winner. It is not uncommon for teachers to tell students to not raise there hand anymore and let other people answer because it makes others feel stupid. While there are some conservatives that also subscribe to this crap, this is primarily a liberal idea that stems from everyone having to be PC and nobody offending anyone else in any way, shape, or form.

Ironic, given that the liberal half of America is generally far better educated than the conservative half, hell look at the kind of dribbling idiots you get on Fox, probably your country's premier conservative mouthpiece.

I know this is a thought Americans don't like to encompass but not everything has to be a war or competition, you can encourage people to learn without punishing people that are a little slower, one thing you can guarantee is that if we lived in the sad little world you conservatives want where children that don't make the cut get bullied you can absolutely guarantee that they will never thrive. The point of schools is to educate not encourage pointless competition.

In terms of the OP however, the point of a reading competition is to compete, if the other entrants can't compete that's their problem.

#49 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,363 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 13:31

Can you really just be fired for no reason after all that time, in the US?  Don't you have employment rights over there or something?

#50 blerk

blerk

Neowinian

• 622 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 14:10

Can you really just be fired for no reason after all that time, in the US?  Don't you have employment rights over there or something?

No employer rights in the USA and that's just the way republicans like it.  :rofl:

/jk (sorta) /runsaway 

#51 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,820 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 14:17

Conservatives :laugh:

Citation needed.

#52 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 14:19

Ironic, given that the liberal half of America is generally far better educated than the conservative half, hell look at the kind of dribbling idiots you get on Fox, probably your country's premier conservative mouthpiece.

I know this is a thought Americans don't like to encompass but not everything has to be a war or competition, you can encourage people to learn without punishing people that are a little slower, one thing you can guarantee is that if we lived in the sad little world you conservatives want where children that don't make the cut get bullied you can absolutely guarantee that they will never thrive. The point of schools is to educate not encourage pointless competition.

In terms of the OP however, the point of a reading competition is to compete, if the other entrants can't compete that's their problem.

Nobody is talking about leaving people behind. Don't make a strawman out of this.

#53 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,991 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 14:55

Sometimes businesses get away with it.  Sometimes a lawsuit works for those terminated.

There is a sneaky 'at will' clause with many employers.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!