microsoft 8. rtm

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 18:25

All Microsoft is doing is hurting themselves. Now it will well after launch before developers can finish testing and releasing new code. 

#47 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,315 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 August 2013 - 00:25

All Microsoft is doing is hurting themselves. Now it will well after launch before developers can finish testing and releasing new code. 

Consumers will berate developers for having buggy apps when they update and developer interest in the MS ecosystem will continue its decline.

I really wish I could understand what they are thinking in Redmond. First they kill TechNet subs which are basically the primary advocate for adoption of more MS technology in the enterprise (as IT pros can make the case to their companies why they need to upgrade or buy another MS solution) and now they are attacking MSDN. If this is a start of a new trend, MSDN gets no early access for developers, I just can't see how MS' ecosystem will do anything buy start to severely strangle itself until it dies out.

The reason it is absolutely nuts to me is that the new generation of developers care heavily about iOS and Android, for obvious reasons. MS has their stable of developers mainly due to enterprise development needs that have spent gobs of money investing in MS solutions. With MS's latest moves they are burning the last camp of supporters they have.

Does anybody really think MS is in a position to have any less developer interest for their platform?

In long story, couldn't agree with you more +Growled :)

#48 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,418 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 00:35

Consumers will berate developers for having buggy apps when they update and developer interest in the MS ecosystem will continue its decline.

I really wish I could understand what they are thinking in Redmond. First they kill TechNet subs which are basically the primary advocate for adoption of more MS technology in the enterprise (as IT pros can make the case to their companies why they need to upgrade or buy another MS solution) and now they are attacking MSDN.

I never under stood why they killed Technet either, it was a great way for Pirates to actually pay them money!

#49 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,273 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 18:05

I understand both sides of the argument but I don't see how waiting a couple months really kills anything.

8.1 is clearly done.  The drivers that should be released with it to truly show how devices will perform I wouldn't bank on it.

If it was a service pack, you know, whatever, but with a new WDDM among other things theres plenty of external testing to do as well.

#50 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,948 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 13:32

That external testing includes software applications, making it available to OEM only is about one thing, and one thing only...

KERCHING!

#51 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,419 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 02 September 2013 - 13:49

It would be in Microsoft's best interests to release Windows 8.1 to developers and enthusiasts through official channels, as otherwise that only encourages them to turn to unofficial channels. I can understand delaying the consumer release to allow developers and manufacturers to update their software / drivers for Windows 8.1 but there's no sense in hurting those who most contribute to the ecosystem.

Windows 8.1 should be the ultimate goodwill tool, a free update to a widely criticised operating system. The delay here is doing nothing to help Microsoft.

#52 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• 1,412 posts
  • Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 02 September 2013 - 15:06

It would be in Microsoft's best interests to release Windows 8.1 to developers and enthusiasts through official channels, as otherwise that only encourages them to turn to unofficial channels. I can understand delaying the consumer release to allow developers and manufacturers to update their software / drivers for Windows 8.1 but there's no sense in hurting those who most contribute to the ecosystem.

Windows 8.1 should be the ultimate goodwill tool, a free update to a widely criticised operating system. The delay here is doing nothing to help Microsoft.

The problem is that MS doesn't want to deal with the complication of having to market digital copies while the products in stores are still Win8.0. It gets confusing from a marketing perspective and is bound to lead to a mess, so their holding off is justified. But this still does not preclude them from not giving access to devs before general release, especially when devs pay hundreds of dollars to maintain subscriptions for the exact reason of getting early access. If devs were expected to update their apps on the preview, which was not final either, then what is so unfinished in rtm that devs cannot use it? They need to get with the times.