Photo

Apple: iOS 7, iPhone 5C/S, ETC Live Blog news

official iphone ios 7 os x mavericks

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you expect to see during the Apple Media Event keynote?

What do you expect to see during the Apple Media Event keynote?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• 6,213 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:03

You should probable say its your opinion.   I have no problem with the amount of ram.

well the fact that I say "my problem" kind of make it opinion (open up more than 5 apps with a few of them being games and you'll most likely notice a slow down. at least this is my experience & i haven't really messed with anything newer than the 4)

#77 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 22,475 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 10 September 2013 - 20:01

You can now watch the video of today's keynote on apple.com: http://www.apple.com...september-2013/

#78 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• 9,799 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:46

Keynote is now up on the Apple Keynotes podcast. (They now have a 1080p version, as well.)

#79 einsteinbqat

einsteinbqat

Neowinian

• 1,244 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S 64GB • iOS 7.1

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:04

They do?

Keynote is now up on the Apple Keynotes podcast. (They now have a 1080p version, as well.)

#80 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 22,475 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:07

Does anybody else find it disappointing how they held the event a week before hard- and software are available to the public? This hardly ever happened in the days of Stevenotes.

#81 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• 9,799 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:52

They do?

Yes. Search for Apple Keynotes and one of the versions offered in 1080p, going all the way back to October 2011. The podcasts are huge, several GB each, but look much better. Watching the latest one in 1080p right now.

#82 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,150 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:27

The $1,129 cost for the 64GB 5S is hilarious, it's only slightly cheaper than buying both a Xbone and PS4.

#83 shifts

shifts

Neowinian

• 680 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:49

It's never mentioned by Apple, but I'll take a guess at 1 GB. It shouldn't need any more really. 64bit allows more RAM, but it doesn't need it. The reason no one else has gone 64 bit yet is because it's unnecessary still. Apple usually doesn't need quite as much for iOS as others have, so I'd expect that 1 GB, MAYBE 2. 64bit will start getting bigger at the beginning of next year.

Im not sure I agree with this point.  All of that physics stuff needs sufficiently more instruction sets and pulling / pushing of data down those lines so I'd se 64 bit as a good way to go rather than chucking more cores.  Does a phone really need 8 cores for example.  Are there any devs out there who can shine a light on why 64 bit is more than just ram?  I think it's to do with the amount of addressable locations at any one point therefore speeding up stuff?

#84 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,150 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:25

More cores allow for better multitasking, while 64bit doesn't provide much gain (The reason it was good on x86 was because it allowed Intel to drop a lot of backwards compatibility crud, and allowed them to mandate support for stuff like SSE2, so apps can use vector instructions everywhere, instead of only in special functions)

Edit: I should clarify, maths heavy code could run faster due to being able to load more data in less operations (Like loading 2 32bit values in one instruction, vs. 2), but stuff like word processors is barely going to be faster.

#85 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

• 2,193 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:35

Does anybody else find it disappointing how they held the event a week before hard- and software are available to the public? This hardly ever happened in the days of Stevenotes.

i totally agree, apple were never this bad with releases and would mostly have the software ready right after the keynote. Either they can't get the timing right for the software or it's just an intentional hang on. It's frustrating though, that they build up the hype for the product and then you have to wait a week or two. 

#86 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• 1,739 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:56

i totally agree, apple were never this bad with releases and would mostly have the software ready right after the keynote. Either they can't get the timing right for the software or it's just an intentional hang on. It's frustrating though, that they build up the hype for the product and then you have to wait a week or two. 

I agree about iOS thats a bit annoying not to have it ready as normally they do, what seems strangest is that it'll be released separate from the new phones, I;d have expected that classic "and thats available today!" or it'll release with the new phones on Friday..

But seriously people...a 2 week wait...Apple consistently has about the shortest announcement to release of any tech company....when were the XBO and PS4 announced...months ago! when are they released...not until Nov!

#87 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

• 651 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:10

The only surprise as far as I am concerned is the price of the 5C. WAY too expensive for a phone that I thought was supposed to be a more middle of the range device. €/$100 difference just doesn't make it worth it!

#88 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• 6,603 posts
  • OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:54

Smart release by Apple. My wife said, "Look they are finally releasing his and her phones at the same time" lol  5c for the women, 5s for the men. 

What we usually do is, I get the newest, and then we do a hand me down all the way to my son. This year though, we are talking about trading in my 5, buying the 5s for me and the 5c for my wife and giving my daughter my wifes 4s. This will be the first year I have ever done a trade in as well though. 

#89 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• 6,603 posts
  • OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:55

The only surprise as far as I am concerned is the price of the 5C. WAY too expensive for a phone that I thought was supposed to be a more middle of the range device. €/$100 difference just doesn't make it worth it!

You do realize the 5c is the 5 with just a plastic body right? Doesn't have ANY cheap parts inside or reduced processor or camera!! Yet you still says its WAY to expensive?

#90 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

• 651 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 13:13

You do realize the 5c is the 5 with just a plastic body right? Doesn't have ANY cheap parts inside or reduced processor or camera!! Yet you still says its WAY to expensive?

I sure do understand that, but if Apple wants to compete with an Android/Samsung market, they will need to be more competitive. Quality only goes so far if you don't have more money in your wallet. I love Apple products, but can see where price can be an issue.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!