Why Is Microsoft Setting More Money on Fire with Surface 2?

Not all IT professionals were created equally?

No, but their executives pretty much are.  And it's those execs that make many of those decisions.  It's sad to say but many choose the iPad because of it's popularity and not it's use.

No, but the author hasn't given any reasons why Surface 2 will fail other than Surface 1 failed.

The Surface 2 is just an incremental hardware upgrade. Why would anyone expect that demand for it will change at all with a new revision?

I think a big problem is that most people in the tech media and on the internet frankly don't give MS much of a chance and certainly do not apply similar standards to these situations.

I often see the point that consumers simply don't want a Surface tablet.  I would wager that its more likely that consumers simply aren't exposed to the brand enough and that the popular trend is the iPad instead.  iPads are everywhere and garner tons of praise and word of mouth advertising.

I think the major issue remaining for the Surface 2 (Arm) is a proper app ecosystem.  Of course the OS can improve, but so can iOS and Android, that doesn't stop them from being popular because they do enough things well to be good enough for most users.  I think with 8.1, Metro on the Surface 2 is at that level as well.  What still needs to improve is the app store support.  Once the word is out that it has a competent app store, then hopefully more people will be willing to check out a Surface.

The Surface line has good hardware and a slick design, I don't think anyone would say that the hardware is not nice to look at, certainly up there with the iPad or a Nexus device. Its all down to the software, app growth, and a positive word of mouth to spread around.

The history part I mentioned at the beginning is referring to how long it can take for a new platform to properly grow, especially getting app support.  Look back at how long it took Apple to get where it was considered a mature product with a strong app library.  Look at Android for the same thing.  These things take time.  Android had to go through several revisions before many even considered it a possible alternative to iOS and Google had to wait as the app market grew.  So its the same with MS and the Surface line, along with Win 8 itself.  If MS really wants to be a serious player, they must be prepared to eat slow growth, eat early losses, in order to build a proper app market and get the public interested in your products.  They must keep pushing for improvements to the OS and courting app developers.  They also must continue to plan and execute new versions of Surface that bring about useful improvements or changes. 

I expect that MS is in this for the long haul and they will likely not reach a mature point for the platform until the 3rd generation at the earliest.  MS is going up against two very strong competitors and the idea that they could just turn them over immediately is silly.  MS will have to grow slowly, but steadily, until they have a significant portion of the market and can be considered 'mature' like Apple and Google are in the smartphone and tablet space.

Last time I checked, Surface didn't launch this successfully, did it?  So again, your comparison is wrong.

it sold a lot at launch, however after andbefore that the PS2 outsold it majorly. it got a push at the start because it was brand new. 

total number of original Xbox sold

PS2

OVER 150 Million!

You still haven't listed a single limitation that cannot be overcome.

And this is why the Surface and Windows 8 is already the best product. The major obstacles are already conquered. See ya Android and iOS! (Hopefully)

I think a big problem is that most people in the tech media and on the internet frankly don't give MS much of a chance and certainly do not apply similar standards to these situations.

I often see the point that consumers simply don't want a Surface tablet.  I would wager that its more likely that consumers simply aren't exposed to the brand enough and that the popular trend is the iPad instead.  iPads are everywhere and garner tons of praise and word of mouth advertising.

I think the major issue remaining for the Surface 2 (Arm) is a proper app ecosystem.  Of course the OS can improve, but so can iOS and Android, that doesn't stop them from being popular because they do enough things well to be good enough for most users.  I think with 8.1, Metro on the Surface 2 is at that level as well.  What still needs to improve is the app store support.  Once the word is out that it has a competent app store, then hopefully more people will be willing to check out a Surface.

The Surface line has good hardware and a slick design, I don't think anyone would say that the hardware is not nice to look at, certainly up there with the iPad or a Nexus device. Its all down to the software, app growth, and a positive word of mouth to spread around.

The history part I mentioned at the beginning is referring to how long it can take for a new platform to properly grow, especially getting app support.  Look back at how long it took Apple to get where it was considered a mature product with a strong app library.  Look at Android for the same thing.  These things take time.  Android had to go through several revisions before many even considered it a possible alternative to iOS and Google had to wait as the app market grew.  So its the same with MS and the Surface line, along with Win 8 itself.  If MS really wants to be a serious player, they must be prepared to eat slow growth, eat early losses, in order to build a proper app market and get the public interested in your products.  They must keep pushing for improvements to the OS and courting app developers.  They also must continue to plan and execute new versions of Surface that bring about useful improvements or changes. 

I expect that MS is in this for the long haul and they will likely not reach a mature point for the platform until the 3rd generation at the earliest.  MS is going up against two very strong competitors and the idea that they could just turn them over immediately is silly.  MS will have to grow slowly, but steadily, until they have a significant portion of the market and can be considered 'mature' like Apple and Google are in the smartphone and tablet space.

x2

And this is why the Surface and Windows 8 is already the best product. The major obstacles are already conquered. See ya Android and iOS! (Hopefully)

History tells a different story.

If Microsoft can't get a major buy-in on Windows 8, I don't see how the Surface is going to succeed.  Maybe in the next few years...

Android has no driver support. I want to run my ATI Radeon and Epson printer on it and then play Crysis.

I didn't say you could overcome it.

ATI AMD could.

Epson could.

So again...you have listed no limitation that cannot be overcome.

You need to learn that the word 'can't' is unrealistic when it comes to technology.

92% of Fortune 500 companies are using or testing iPads in workplace.

History tells a different story.

If Microsoft can't get a major buy-in on Windows 8, I don't see how the Surface is going to succeed.  Maybe in the next few years...

Lol, dude. I understand that people hate Windows 8 and consider it a failure, but everybody takes it out of context, failure compared to what? MAC OSX? Linux? Chrome OS? Compared to Windows 7 (Microsoft's own produect) sure. Come on man, be serious.

I didn't say you could overcome it.

ATI AMD could.

Epson could.

So again...you have listed no limitation that cannot be overcome.

You need to learn that the word 'can't' is unrealistic when it comes to technology.

So what you're telling me, is that in the near future, Android will be powering desktops?

it sold a lot at launch, however after andbefore that the PS2 outsold it majorly. it got a push at the start because it was brand new. 

total number of original Xbox sold

PS2

OVER 150 Million!

Yet overall, it's still considered a success.

Lol, dude. I understand that people hate Windows 8 and consider it a failure, but everybody takes it out of context, failure compared to what? MAC OSX? Linux? Chrome OS? Compared to Windows 7 (Microsoft's own produect) sure. Come on man, be serious.

Consumer backlash.

I am being serious.

What context SHOULD I use?  If you cannot top your previous generation product, and in fact do much worse with the current generation, that is not exactly a success story.

If Apple sold less and less iPhones every year (by a massive amount), that would be one hell of a failure, wouldn't you say?

By the way, I do not hate Windows 8 and use it regularly.  I just don't pretend to close my eyes to reality.

oh good greif, this is about as dumb as the people that are STILL calling for Microsoft to be broken up into "core software" and "xbox" as different companies.... people still think XBOX is killing Microsoft, last time I checked it isn't because the name recognition that MS gets from it helps them more then it costs them... Surface will be similar, all MS stuff seems to start out rough then grow over time.. we can't all be apple where they could sell the iTurd and make a huge profit day one

Microsoft has always been one of those companies who make money in long term. They will sink a lot of money earlier but will end up making it in the long term. Xbox is a very good example. While xbox was a big flop, something important which came out was Xbox Live which is now making MS millions and possibly billion too.

For those who think Microsoft makes money only out of Windows and MS Office have no idea how successful and important Microsoft Azure has been. Cloud is the future and Microsoft is doing very well if i may add. 

Yes Microsoft's new venture isn't doing too good namely tablet, phone, bing search etc but in a long term when all of these services will be tied together, they will really be delivering results. 

Do you think Microsoft is a fool and is run by people who have no idea what they are doing? I don't think so. 

If Microsoft's Surface was given a go ahead and they are thinking ahead for next three generations then it must be a good reason even after they wrote off $900 million. 

--

Personally I'm one of those who never felt a need for a tablet simply because i could do every single thing on my phone. My real work lies in Sending/Receiving emails and working on a word processor and having a device which can be used with my other devices like phones/camera/printers etc.

Neither the iPad nor the Android allows me to do the last two scenarios. For those who think iWork or some other Office Productivity suite on Android is good have no idea how bad and pathetic it is when it comes for doing real work scenario. (I'm a corporate attorney btw) 

Consumer backlash.

I agree. But the fact remains Windows dominates businesses and desktops, and Apple and Google are way behind. So a Surface tablet running Windows is a compelling device for a business. Which has been my point.

oh good greif, this is about as dumb as the people that are STILL calling for Microsoft to be broken up into "core software" and "xbox" as different companies.... people still think XBOX is killing Microsoft, last time I checked it isn't because the name recognition that MS gets from it helps them more then it costs them... Surface will be similar, all MS stuff seems to start out rough then grow over time.. we can't all be apple where they could sell the iTurd and make a huge profit day one

It's very hard to take someone's opinion seriously when they use words like "iTurd"

So what you're telling me, is that in the near future, Android will be powering desktops?

Please.

PLEASE PLEASE!

Read over my comments in this thread and point out where I said that.

I didn't tell you any such thing.

What I did tell you is that the word 'can't' is not realistic.

Microsoft has always been one of those companies who make money in long term. They will sink a lot of money earlier but will end up making it in the long term. Xbox is a very good example. While xbox was a big flop, something important which came out was Xbox Live which is now making MS millions and possibly billion too.

For those who think Microsoft makes money only out of Windows and MS Office have no idea how successful and important Microsoft Azure has been. Cloud is the future and Microsoft is doing very well if i may add. 

Yes Microsoft's new venture isn't doing too good namely tablet, phone, bing search etc but in a long term when all of these services will be tied together, they will really be delivering results. 

Do you think Microsoft is a full and is run by people who have no idea what they are doing? I don't think so. 

If Microsoft's Surface was given a go ahead and they are thinking ahead for next three generations then it must be a good reason even after they wrote off $900 million. 

I feel really bad for Ballmer, because the public opinion (wrong opinion by the way) held by many including so called analysts is that mobile computing is the only recipe for success =/

Please.

PLEASE PLEASE!

Read over my comments in this thread and point out where I said that.

I didn't tell you any such thing.

What I did tell you is that the word 'can't' is not realistic.

You're saying that Android has no limitations to reach deskstops in the context that an Android / iOS tablet could do the same as a workstation. I'm saying that no, that will not happen any time soon without a significant amount of work done to Android / iOS which most likely Google or Apple won't invest in...

You're saying that Android has no limitations to reach deskstops in the context that an Android / iOS tablet could do the same as a workstation. I'm saying that no, that will not happen any time soon without a significant amount of work done to Android / iOS which most likely Google or Apple won't invest in...

That is not what you said at all.

Don't lie.

Sure, but they can't reach desktop-like capability.

I feel really bad for Ballmer, because the public opinion (wrong opinion by the way) held by many including so called analysts is that mobile computing is the only recipe for success =/

And the same people that ignore the failures of Google (google tv, nexus Q, Chrome, Google+, etc etc)