Why Is Microsoft Setting More Money on Fire with Surface 2?

Then that same line of thinking should apply to Google; how much has Google invested, both directly and indirectly into Android, into Chrome, and their derivatives - all of which Google gives away?

That's the rub, though, isn't it?  Google, and other companies, are encouraged to throw money away to compete with Microsoft (either directly or indirectly) - yet Microsoft is discouraged, if not outright scorned, at trying to compete itself.  It's not always about domination - even for Microsoft.  Yet the very idea of a competitive Microsoft seems to scare certain parties witless.  Please - as much as some would like to think so, Microsoft isn't the Cybermen - or even the Daleks.

And the same people that ignore the failures of Google (google tv, nexus Q, Chrome, Google+, etc etc)

I don't recall anyone singing the praises of Google with the failures of Google TV or Nexus Q either.

Interesting that you list Chrome and Google+.  Those are not failures.

I feel really bad for Ballmer, because the public opinion (wrong opinion by the way) held by many including so called analysts is that mobile computing is the only recipe for success =/

That opinion isn't as wrong as you think.  Look at where the majority of profits at Apple and Samsung come from.  And how big of a company it's made them.  It's not that Microsoft isn't in the mobile game, it's the fact they came in late and didn't appease consumers as much as consumers expected them to.

I don't recall anyone singing the praises of Google with the failures of Google TV or Nexus Q either.

Interesting that you list Chrome and Google+.  Those are not failures.

Well why is Microsoft being held to a higher standard? (If you're not #1, you've failed). Chrome OS, what is their marketshare? Google+ marketshare vs Facebook? Come on... be serious.

That opinion isn't as wrong as you think.  Look at where the majority of profits at Apple and Samsung come from.  And how big of a company it's made them.  It's not that Microsoft isn't in the mobile game, it's the fact they came in late and didn't appease consumers as much as consumers expected them to.

What are other mobile companies that are successful? Take a look at the percentage of mobile smartphone users in the world vs regular phones. You'd be surprised.

It's very hard to take someone's opinion seriously when they use words like "iTurd"

what's hard to take seriously about it? Apple could make a product literally called the "iTrud" and it would still make a huge profit somehow... that's been the LONG running joke about Apple, not made up by me, but used by many to show how genius Apple's marketing is.

Well why is Microsoft being held to a higher standard? (If you're not #1, you've failed). Chrome OS, what is their marketshare? Google+ marketshare vs Facebook? Come on... be serious.

I am being serious.  You aren't apparently.

It is not about being number 1.  It is about not hemorrhaging money and repeating the mistake.

That is what the whole thread is about, in case you forgot.

It is not about being number 1.  It is about not hemorrhaging money and repeating the mistake.

You just said Chrome OS and Google+ are not failures. But they are losing money for Google, and do not have #1 marketshare. I am applying the same criteria to those products as they've been applied to Microsoft Surface to define failure.

You just said Chrome OS and Google+ are not failures. But they are losing money for Google, and do not have #1 marketshare. I am applying the same criteria to those products as they've been applied to Microsoft Surface to define failure.

Are you reading impaired?

Look at my post again.

In other words, if you don't consider Chrome OS and Google+ failures, how can you agree with the article and say Microsoft Surface is a failure and will continue to lose money?

History tells a different story.

If Microsoft can't get a major buy-in on Windows 8, I don't see how the Surface is going to succeed.  Maybe in the next few years...

But that's the point right?

History tells us that new platforms take time to both mature in capability and in their app markets. MS is not immune to these forces and can do little to accelerate the process.

If MS wants to start from scratch as they have with the Metro side of 8 and the Surface line  (this applies to WP as well), its impossible to expect them to suddenly gain significant marketshare considering all the variable involved.  Maybe if there were no other strong competitors, but the reality is that Apple and Google are strong competitors making quality products.  MS cant just step in and flip the numbers, even if everything was perfect.

So MS has to play the long game, or not play at all.

92% of Fortune 500 companies are using or testing iPads in workplace.

Its no shocker at all, that follows the trend of the consumer changing of IT.  Its popular in the public and they start bringing it to work and now these companies have to support it and work with it.

If MS wants to compete for those numbers, they need to create the same demand in the consumer space.

But that's the point right?

History tells us that new platforms take time to both mature in capability and in their app markets. MS is not immune to these forces and can do little to accelerate the process.

If MS wants to start from scratch as they have with the Metro side of 8 and the Surface line  (this applies to WP as well), its impossible to expect them to suddenly gain significant marketshare considering all the variable involved.  Maybe if there were no other strong competitors, but the reality is that Apple and Google are strong competitors making quality products.  MS cant just step in and flip the numbers, even if everything was perfect.

So MS has to play the long game, or not play at all.

Its no shocker at all, that follows the trend of the consumer changing of IT.  Its popular in the public and they start bringing it to work and now these companies have to support it and work with it.

If MS wants to compete for those numbers, they need to create the same demand in the consumer space.

I get you, it is a gamble.  However, what exactly makes Microsoft think that a small bump in specs suddenly will make the Surface a winner?

When has that alone ever made someone a winner?

Serious question, maybe you can enlighten me to when it has worked out.

but out of those 90% of top 500 companies, how many of them will actually deploy them? Anyone can say they are evaluating or testing... doesn't mean it will be implemented... heck we evaluate devices when they come out all the time, it's part of IT... have we deployed everything we evaluated? heck no... so that stat is technically meaningless... get the real stat of how many of them deployed and actively use the iPad and then we have a stat

and evaluating could mean they bought 1 just to stare at for all we know too...

I get you, it is a gamble.  However, what exactly makes Microsoft think that a small bump in specs suddenly will make the Surface a winner?

Seriously?

Any iPhone? Any Samsung Galaxy? Lol... you're delusioned.

Why do you care so much about them "hemorrhaging money" if they can afford it? It's a new product entering an already jump-started market. To expect them to be successful out the gate is not being honest with yourself. Let them push their product for more than a year before you start going off like one of those so-called analysts.

Microsoft is building the surface to compete in the business tablet market.  Business is slow to adopt change, so obviously the growth isn't going to be rapid by any means.  Compound that with Apple's head start in the business tablet market with the iPad and it's going to be an uphill battle.  Apple has the jump on apps and devices.  Microsoft has to leverage their business products (Office being the biggest offering) to sway people to adopt the Surface tablet over the iPad.  

You'll notice i've strayed away from mentioning android.  Fact is, most of the cheap android tablets aren't meant for a business environment.  The few google android based tablets that are meant for the enterprise environment haven't really worked well.  They lack the polish that Apple and Microsoft's products have, and they don't run Office.  I know someone will comment that you can get Quick Office and work with the files on Android, but I've read a lot of negative reviews for Quick Office.  A co-worker actually botched a bunch of files by trying to work with them in Quick Office.  

Surface may not make a lot of money now, but it's going to win out in the long run if businesses begin to adopt it.  I plan on getting a second generation Surface Pro and I look forward to using it at work.  

Why do you care so much about them "hemorrhaging money" if they can afford it? It's a new product entering an already jump-started market. To expect them to be successful out the gate is not being honest with yourself. Let them push their product for more than a year before you start going off like on of those so-called analysts.

I don't "care".

I just don't understand the reasoning, and that was the point of the slashdot article too.

Microsoft is building the surface to compete in the business tablet market.  Business is slow to adopt change, so obviously the growth isn't going to be rapid by any means.  Compound that with Apple's head start in the business tablet market with the iPad and it's going to be an uphill battle.  Apple has the jump on apps and devices.  Microsoft has to leverage their business products (Office being the biggest offering) to sway people to adopt the Surface tablet over the iPad.  

You'll notice i've strayed away from mentioning android.  Fact is, most of the cheap android tablets aren't meant for a business environment.  The few google android based tablets that are meant for the enterprise environment haven't really worked well.  They lack the polish that Apple and Microsoft's products have, and they don't run Office.  I know someone will comment that you can get Quick Office and work with the files on Android, but I've read a lot of negative reviews for Quick Office.  A co-worker actually botched a bunch of files by trying to work with them in Quick Office.  

Surface may not make a lot of money now, but it's going to win out in the long run if businesses begin to adopt it.  I plan on getting a second generation Surface Pro and I look forward to using it at work.  

Lol you just summarized everything I've posted for the past 30 min. :)

what exactly makes Microsoft think that a small bump in specs suddenly will make the Surface a winner?

Who ever said that's what Microsoft expects? Only you (and others in the same bandwagon) are expecting this.