ibm microsoft bill gates windows

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,137 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 13:57

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates has finally admitted that forcing users to press the Control-Alt-Delete key combination to log into a PC was a mistake. In an interview at a Harvard fundraising campaign, Gates discusses his early days building Microsoft and the all-important Control-Alt-Delete decision. If you've used an old version of the software or use Windows at work then you will have experienced the odd requirement. Gates explains the key combination is designed to prevent other apps from faking the log-in prompt and stealing a password.

"It was a mistake," Gates admits to an audience left laughing at his honesty. "We could have had a single button, but the guy who did the IBM keyboard design didn't wanna give us our single button." David Bradley, an engineer who worked on the original IBM PC, invented the combination which was originally designed to reboot a PC. "I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous," Bradley said in an interview previously, leaving Bill Gates looking rather awkward. To this day the combination still exists in Windows 8, allowing users to lock a machine or access the task manager. While Windows 8 defaults to a new log-in screen, it's still possible to use the traditional Control-Alt-Delete requirement and a number of businesses running on Windows XP and Windows 7 will still use it every day.

Control-Alt-Delete isn't the only recent mistake admission by Bill Gates. Earlier this year the Microsoft chairman admitted that the software maker didn't nail the mobile market when it had the opportunity. "We didn't miss cellphones, but the way that we went about it didn't allow us to get the leadership," said Gates at the time, before admitting the strategy was "clearly a mistake." Current CEO Steve Ballmer, who plans to retire shortly, has also been admitting his mistakes recently. "I regret there was a period in the early 2000s when we were so focused on what we had to do around Windows [Vista] that we weren't able to redeploy talent to the new device called the phone," explained Ballmer at a recent Microsoft financial analysts meeting. Microsoft is now searching for a new CEO who can help with the company's fresh devices and services plan to regain some mobile market share and move away from its PC and Control-Alt-Delete legacies.

source

#2 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,852 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 26 September 2013 - 13:58

they did move it to a single button with windows 8 (space bar)

#3 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,367 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 14:06

Why was it a mistake? Ok, he says that they could have made it so that it only took one button instead of three, but I can't say I've ever been bothered by using ctrl+alt+delete.

#4 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 14:13

I wonder if he isn't getting Alzheimer's in his old age. I don't see it as a mistake at all.

#5 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,137 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 14:17

^ Seems more secure than just hitting one button.

#6 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 14:57

^ Seems more secure than just hitting one button.

Exactly. I could see me "accidentally" hitting one button but not all three.

#7 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

• 2,867 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:00

Exactly. I could see me "accidentally" hitting one button but not all three.

That's exactly why it's this odd combination of keys.  Something's being quoted out of context in this article.

#8 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,364 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:00

AFAIK ctrl + alt + del is a key combination built into windows itself and you can't find out if the combination was pushed from a normal program unless you use undocumented APIs, so yes it is a very good combination.

#9 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• 3,440 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:01

they did move it to a single button with windows 8 (space bar)

Or any other key (doesn't have to be space bar).

But on Server 2012 on a domain, you still have to use CTRL-Alt-Del.

#10 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,229 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:01

I see it as at least a good protection from an inadvertent key press

#11 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

• 1,091 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:12

Recognizing insignificant mistakes... There should be better errors to recognize.

Maybe ten years later ...

#12 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 26 September 2013 - 21:13

Bill Gates says the famous Alt Control Delete was a mistake. He says the triple key login should have been made easier (single button), but the IBM keyboard designer back insisted on a more complex step.

130926110622-01-bill-gates-0926-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Read More

http://www.cnn.com/2...atesmistake330p

Be sure to check out the photo gallery also when viewing the full article also.

#13 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• 467 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 21:18

News sites are flocking over this like crazy. For what reason? Who cares about Ctrl + Alt + Del ???

#14 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,229 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 21:19

Yea Ive seen it mentioned today on the register with video of him looking unamused at the comment

http://www.theregist...delete_mistake/

#15 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,541 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 21:20

It's iconic now :laugh:

I do wish it was a combination that could be performed with one hand, though. Del, y u so far away D: