Call of Duty: Ghosts And Titanfall To Run At 720p On Xbox One?

One thing which strikes me as alarming with the community over there is that the discussion which has sparked this discussion is the IGN PS4 footage. There's the unified idea over there that all mutli-plats will perform better on the PS4. My mind boggles sometimes.

Regarding the Activision PR, have you ever worked inside a company like that? To get a PR statement released around this discussion could takes days to get approved, especially with something as tight-lipped and spoonfed as next-gen consoles. That;s even if they choose to reply, considering articles like this already exist:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-call-of-duty-ghosts-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4

Personally, if its 720p it shows a pure time constraint and hardware unfamiliarity which probably would get resolved by next iteration. 

The point that this is singled to the X1 shows the bias.

One thing which strikes me as alarming with the community over there is that the discussion which has sparked this discussion is the IGN PS4 footage. There's the unified idea over there that all mutli-plats will perform better on the PS4. My mind boggles sometimes.

Regarding the Activision PR, have you ever worked inside a company like that? To get a PR statement released around this discussion could takes days to get approved, especially with something as tight-lipped and spoonfed as next-gen consoles. That;s even if they choose to reply, considering articles like this already exist:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-call-of-duty-ghosts-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4

Personally, if its 720p it shows a pure time constraint and hardware unfamiliarity which probably would get resolved by next iteration. 

The point that this is singled to the X1 shows the bias.

It's the resolution a game is running at, not an unannounced title being leaked. Activision provided IGN with copies of the PS4 version and didn't say a non disclosure agreement is needed to talk about resolution, hence IGN telling us 1080p. It's even surprising they sent a copy of the PS4 version, they're suppose to be in bed with MS with the maps deal and all that jazz. Previous versions of COD it has always been 360 copies/footage used.

That Eurogamer article is from June. That was 4 months ago. What you target and what you get when you go gold aren't always the same. Ironically as well the only thing the dev actually says in his quotes is 60FPS. IGN are saying 1080p.

It's the resolution a game is running at, not an unannounced title being leaked. Activision provided IGN with copies of the PS4 version and didn't say a non disclosure agreement is needing to talk about resolution, hence IGN telling us 1080p. It's even surprising they sent a copy of the PS4 version, they're suppose to be in bed with MS with the maps deal and all that jazz. Previous versions of COD it has always been 360 copies/footage used.

That Eurogamer article is from June. That was 4 months ago. What you target and what you get when you go gold aren't always the same.

So Activision will of made false promises in June when they've probably already had XDK's or relevant spec'd machines for over a year?

You're trying to argue a point with no evidence other than people like you and me who've said otherwise, it has no weight especially when we have official word which confirms the opposite.

EDIT: Especially when the people who are the 'insiders' for this have been wrong on numerous occasions. As pointed out above.

So Activision will of made false promises in June when they've probably already had XDK's or relevant spec'd machines for over a year?

You're trying to argue a point with no evidence other than people like you and me who've said otherwise, it has no weight especially when we have official word which confirms the opposite.

We're talking about the games industry here, and you're surprised at false promises? I do not include myself in amongst the people who are mentioning 720p, I do not have any contacts at all, they've at least proven they do have some ways of getting information, reliable all the time or not.

Also we know for a fact PS4 and Xbox One hardware was not finalized back in June, so yes, developers would have had to speculate end results, most likely going on PC hardware or early dev kits.

Just to make a point, this article got published today 60minutes ago. I place bets on this not even making it on NeoGAF or it being locked and shoved down the page list.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/10/23/resident-evil-creator-says-ps4-and-xbox-one-are-almost-identical/

• Like 2

Just to make a point, this article got published today 60minutes ago. I place bets on this not even making it on NeoGAF or it being locked and shoved down the page list.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/10/23/resident-evil-creator-says-ps4-and-xbox-one-are-almost-identical/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702448

We're talking about the games industry here, and you're surprised at false promises? I do not include myself in amongst the people who are mentioning 720p, I do not have any contacts at all, they've at least proven they do have some ways of getting information, reliable all the time or not.

Also we know for a fact PS4 and Xbox One hardware was not finalized back in June, so yes, developers would have to speculate end results.

You make a fair point, if the sources you referred to haven't been wrong on numerous occasions. It's not hard to speculate based on information released.

Common sense should tell you that if you have a game as graphically pronounced as Ryse, then a ported over current gen game shouldn't be a problem on both platforms.

Read every single reply on that thread, are you telling me that the bias on that site isn't there? That's actually unbelievable about how biased that is.

An 'unnamed' edge source which claims 50% more powerful is true, yet a guy who has made some of the most defining titles in the gaming world is false, even John Carmack is talking ######. Get my point?

• Like 3

If this is really the case then Activision should be posting PR right now to stop this discussion? Or MS. I mean one tweet is all that's even needed from either.

Why does Microsoft have to do PR when they did NOT make the game?

Microsoft made the console.  They have to answer for that.  Microsoft has a first party studio they have to answer for that.  They don't and should not have to answer for anything that Respawn, Activision, etc are doing.  Those companies have a Community Manager that should be handling this stuff.  And if they aren't addressing it, then they must feel it's not worth the time or effort to do so.

Read every single reply on that thread, are you telling me that the bias on that site isn't there? That's actually unbelievable about how biased that is.

An 'unnamed' edge source which claims 50% more powerful is true, yet a guy who has made some of the most defining titles in the gaming world is false, even John Carmack is talking ****. Get my point?

The 'bias' on NeoGAF tends to swing whatever way the **** slides that month(s). To ignore the PS3 launch, removal of BC, $599, PSN hack and Vita sales topics on GAF, and then get upset about the Xbox One topics is to pick and choose to make your point. NeoGAF has 116,000 members, if you want to say they're all pro-Sony then the issue isn't really about bias but about how low MS' online fanbase seems to be.

As for the article, you aren't doing yourself any favours as a dev not posting why, when all we know of is a 6% overclock for the Xbox One.

The 'bias' on NeoGAF tends to swing whatever way the **** slides that month(s). To ignore the PS3 launch, removal of BC, $599, PSN hack and Vita sales topics on GAF, and then get upset about the Xbox One topics is to pick and choose to make your point. NeoGAF has 116,000 members, if you want to say they're all pro-Sony then the issue isn't really about bias but about how low MS' online fanbase seems to be.

As for the article, you aren't doing yourself any favours as a dev not posting why, when all we know of is a 6% overclock for the Xbox One.

I'll be honest, I've been browsing that website for a very long time and the bias is clearly there. Obviously it's not as clear cut as that as you get threads like the Ryse one the other day, but with threads like that you cannot deny what the majority opinion is.

I was an active member on there for 2 days, until I got banned for "console bashing" even though I was explaining why the Edge article was complete hit making and false.

Have the other articles stated why? I really don't want to dive into technicalities because this thread will turn into a train wreck but, even the MS engineers have stated how the 6% upclock was beneficial. For example, outperforming 2 additional CU's. Yet everyone seems to disregard these comments and claim they're 'MS PR'?

It's the same story with the 14+4 with a minor benefit to rendering argument. Even a leaked PS slide was released which mimic'd the VGLeaks documents and it was claimed false for being old, even official. People say Cerny debunked it, but all he did was give a wordy explanation that GPGPU was possible across all 18 CU's and even stated that GPGPU processing should be used. For example, audio processing which on the PS4, will be heavily GPGPU based. Yet all the so called 'insiders' and 'techies' on that website just seem to brush over that as well and spread FUD which has become mainstream.

• Like 2

I appreciate the thread Audioboxer, but couldn't you at least try to post a positive thread in the Xbox forums? lol

Not taking away from this topic at all, its just something I took note of. Maybe these are the only topics Xbox wise that interest you, which is fine.

Anyway, I think we are once again seeing the power of the internet mob at work. This happens time and time again. Rumors are started and then suddenly you have people spreading it as fact, propped up most by those that want the rumor to be true.

We have no facts to back up the rumors, other then some vague claims of how accurate the rumor starters are. I would like to see what the reality is. If the ps4 version of COD is 1080p while the X1 is 720p, then there is indeed a serious problem. The ps4 has more powerful hardware, but its not that much more. I mean on paper it looks like both machines should be capable of 1080p gaming. Heck, Forza is pushing 1080p.

If its not hardware related, I guess one issue could be optimizing since the X1 and PS4 are built a bit differently and maybe developers are finding it easier to get up to speed on the PS4 than the X1. I hate to add more speculation, but I guess that's the point of something like this.

I just don't think anyone needs to get worked up until we see confirmation one way or another. Sometimes I feel like these rumors get started in order to draw attention and it works over and over.

I appreciate the thread Audioboxer, but couldn't you at least try to post a positive thread in the Xbox forums? lol

obligatory --> You must be new here. ;)
  • Like 1

All of this could have been avoided if Microsoft simply had a decent PR firm...

Neither sony nor microsoft has come forth with any solid info yet and yet, you somehow believe neogaf and blame Microsoft for poor PR? lol

Neither sony nor microsoft has come forth with any solid info yet and yet, you somehow believe neogaf and blame Microsoft for poor PR? lol

Which is strange considering how close we are to the launch. I'll definately wait next year to have a clear picture of what both consoles are capable of and what exclusive will be avalaible before the end of 2014.

We have no facts to back up the rumors, other then some vague claims of how accurate the rumor starters are. I would like to see what the reality is. If the ps4 version of COD is 1080p while the X1 is 720p, then there is indeed a serious problem. The ps4 has more powerful hardware, but its not that much more. I mean on paper it looks like both machines should be capable of 1080p gaming. Heck, Forza is pushing 1080p.

If its not hardware related, I guess one issue could be optimizing since the X1 and PS4 are built a bit differently and maybe developers are finding it easier to get up to speed on the PS4 than the X1. I hate to add more speculation, but I guess that's the point of something like this.

I just don't think anyone needs to get worked up until we see confirmation one way or another. Sometimes I feel like these rumors get started in order to draw attention and it works over and over.

Plenty of people believe them.  We won't be able to discredit the rumormongers until the consoles are out and we can see if the claims are accurate or not.

While I personally think they're full of crap, I'm not saying it can't be true.  I'm wondering how many of them are Sony/PS4 devs who picked a side and just want their ###### to sell better.

Which is strange considering how close we are to the launch. I'll definately wait next year to have a clear picture of what both consoles are capable of and what exclusive will be avalaible before the end of 2014.

i agree, it is strange we know very little about the ps4 and xb1 at this point in time..    i have a preorder but i'll probably cancel unless we get some solid info here soon.. If i have to wait a year to get similar functionality to what the 360 has today, i'll wait a year and save my money :)

Both companies are holding the cards very very close to the chest... I have yet to see one video or power point of the complete Xbox One experience from a end user perspective when they get the console home.

Maybe 11/1/13 will be when the floodgates open with information.

My #1 concern as of right now, is to catch up with Trooper in the amount of comments made.  Trooper only joined Neowin, 1week before I did...  grrrrrrrrrrr :crazy:  :D  :)  :laugh:

It's to a point now, that I don't really even care any longer about this kind of nonsense..  If graphics are the be all end all in gaming, well gaming is doomed.  One of my favorite games (Magicka on PC) isn't a graphics ###### at all and blows away a ton of 1080p, 60fps games.

I will take the 720p - 900p, or whaterver and 30-60fps and the overall package than just a "Graphic Better" bragging point

The ONLY downfall people can find with the Xbox One is "GRAPHICS"...  Thats sad, when that is the ONLY flaw you can find, so they hamper on it to no end...  PATHETIC

Titanfall and Halo will make all of this irrelevant once released.

I think the reason people hammer away at "Graphics" is because, aside from graphics, the 2 systems are mostly identical, with mostly the same games and online services.

I think the reason people hammer away at "Graphics" is because, aside from graphics, the 2 systems are mostly identical, with mostly the same games and online services.

I guess you are correct...

It seems that Microsoft wanted to do their own thing but consumers would not allow that, and wants Sony and Microsoft to be tied at the hip and forever compared...

I guess Nintendo's O.G. card allows them to do as they please...

To sum up:

A Couple Weeks Ago

• CBoAT the infamous Microsoft leaker said to expect more sub 1080p games

Yesterday

• IGN is having CoD week, and for the first time ever Call of Duty is being shown on a Playstation console before release instead of a Xbox.

Today

• The Guy who leaked the DriveClub delay hints at Xbox One version of CoD being 720p, but he needs to double check

• Another leaker confirms that it is 720p

• Another famous Microsoft leaker says its 720p but Microsoft isnt worried about that because it has bigger problems, Xbox One OS is in need of major work [Currently crashes and hangs once per session]

• A Mod asks all leakers to message him proof and how they got the info

• Mod confirms the proof is legit

• Albert Panello [Microsoft PR] responded by pretty much saying that it will be upscaled anyway and the difference wont be noticeable but not directly confirming its 720p

• CBOaT comes back from his slumber and attacks Albert for not being transparent, as it would be better in this situation than lying. He confirms TitanFall and CoD are 720p

Uh, no it's not.

yes, it is.

this is the source of the rumor

Ok.

Well, **** being coy, obviously this is the rumor I heard. It's really thin, guys. Really thin. I want two sources on anything I post here or talk about on my podcast but this I really, really wanted two sources on. And there's a few wrinkles to it as well which are interesting (if they are true). I just cannot say whether it's true or not and this is obviously a huge ****ing deal. Sales are at stake. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if MS put a goddamn hit out on me.

Anyway, this is the rumor. And it's thin. It's ****ing thin. To be completely honest I don't believe it. I mean... it's just weird. Anyway - supposedly Activision is doing a controlled environment review process that only huge ass games can get away with. What I heard was you got to chose a version.... either xbox one or PS4 and you didn't get to see the other one. You then go in and play it at their setup for a certain number of hours and that's it. Someone who saw the Xbox one version claims it's 720p.

Did this person count pixels? Is this known info they are telling people? Is it upscaled? I don't know the answers to any of these questions. It doesn't even make sense to me... CoD is a pretty ****ty looking game, why in the hell could it not run at 1080p? I feel like if they took the time they could get the 360 version at 1080p if they wanted to... the engine is older than me. But, that's what was said.

It's impossible to get a second source because everyone is, obviously, under NDA. No one wants to get blacklisted by Activision.

and now this is what he is saying on reddit 

But... but... but...! I've been right about a lot of ****. I should have never teased this because this rumor is ****ing flimsy. More flimsy than PS4 in October which the entire internet believed. I'm not saying it's true. I expect 900p to be honest. That's a guess. I don't know. I do know there is a lot of chatter about the xbox struggling to hit 1080p.

As for other folks like Thuway and whoever else.... I have no idea if they have real sources or not. I wouldn't be surprised if my story just made it in a circle so many times that I'm the same source to like 9 different people who all think i'm someone different. The internet is stupid.

you can see why im not buying it. if it ends up being true, I will eat my hat. even the source of the info doesn't think it makes any sense.

beautiful reply to him from albert penello

Look, I get some people claim such amazing eyesight as to be able to instantly distinguish native vs. upscaled when you're in a room watching and enjoying a game demo, despite the fact that it requires normal people access to a direct feed screenshot with very particular sections zoomed up 8x to pixel count, while also making sure you're accounting for other intentional environmental effects that may blur or otherwise impact the image.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...pixel+counting

But hey, if you're saying you can tell the difference with enough accuracy to make a public disclosure about it, just by watching someone play the game, then I say wow.

I've seen a bunch of other 3rd party games running at various times, and I can't tell you the *native* resolutions of those either.

So me, I'm not making that claim. I'm sorry if you think that's a job requirement.

OXM UK interview with Infinity Ward's Exec. Producer: as shown in June CoD: Ghosts will run @ 60 FPS / 1080p.  (written Oct. 23, 2013)

• CBOaT comes back from his slumber and attacks Albert for not being transparent, as it would be better in this situation than lying. He confirms TitanFall and CoD are 720p

Um these two posts contradict each other. So I don't follow GAF directly since it seems like such a crazy place to try and have discussions, plus it seems to infect all over relevant forums anyway. Via a discussion on NeoGAF, some are claiming that Albert confirmed that CD and Titanfall are running at 720p? Is that his exact words? I knew that Ryse was not running at 1080p and Albert made a statement about the upscaling attributes of the X1, but has he actually included COD and Titanfall into that?

Finally, how does that explain the fact that there is an OXM article up TODAY with a direct claim by Infinity Ward that the X1 version is running at 1080p/60?

Something is not right here. Either the developer is lying, or the guys on NeoGAF got it wrong.