Recommend a good war themed "Saving Private Ryan" type Blu-Ray for gift?

Thin red line...how can you guys forget this wonderful film!

I wouldn't classify The Thin Red Line as a Saving Private Ryan type movie.

Band of Brothers is a TV series not a film so if you want pay more for it its really good, made by spielberg, any of those you mentioned is good, platoon is ace.... smoking the naughty stuff in there den and that choon comes on, ive got a smiile on my face fricking lol

oh crap yeah seen another post it the dirty dozen is really good to, they got be so cheap prolly like 2 or 3 for ?10 on play.com maybe i dunno

I was going to suggest Pearl Harbour, but it's nothing compared to Saving Private Ryan or Band Of Brothers

Warhorse might be a good one though

Isn't Pearl Harbour the movie where a single American Pilot defeats the entire Japanese Naval Air unit, flies across the Pacific, sinks the entire Japanese Navy, and then flies across the Atlantic to single-handedly defeat the Lufftwaffe and saved the UK in the Battle of Britain?

Band of Brothers.

It's TECHNICALLY a TV Series, but you should look at it as a really long movie. There aren't seasons like

a TV Show, it's just a long movie separated into several parts. If he likes war movies, don't pass that one up.

• Like 2

Hello,

So many suggestions. Lets stick with films only please as Band of Brothers is way too expensive anyways (price isn't the point anyways but)

Isn't Pearl Harbour the movie where a single American Pilot defeats the entire Japanese Naval Air unit, flies across the Pacific, sinks the entire Japanese Navy, and then flies across the Atlantic to single-handedly defeat the Lufftwaffe and saved the UK in the Battle of Britain?

No, you're thinking of Churchill, the Hollywood Years. Not a pilot but a General Infantry soldier. And after doing everything you aforementioned, he knocks up the Queen. :p

Another recommendation for 'Band of Brothers' - it's absolutely flawless, and as others have stated, feels more like a long film than individual episodes.

Even though it's not technically a film, if you're prepared to stretch your budget, the person receiving this gift will be eternally grateful.  I guarantee it.

Hello,

So many suggestions. Lets stick with films only please as Band of Brothers is way too expensive anyways (price isn't the point anyways but)

Did you see the link I posted?  It was from Amazon Spain (if your location is accurate).  The price is similar to one movie blu-ray.

i'm a war movie fan also...

saving private ryan first 15 minutes was the best and most realistically depicted battle scene storming the beach.  wow amazing.

just about everything mentioned i've skimmed through the thread quickly is excellent.  Band of Brothers was/is my favorite.  Thin Red Line was also brilliant.  The pacific was excellent too.  some of the best modern war films would have "Black Hawk Down" on that list..tops for sure. 

also check out:

Letters From Iwo Jima

Defiance

Flags of Our Fathers

The Pianist

Downfall

if you still want more here's a great list:  http://www.imdb.com/list/15G0PDAGhvE/

Brotherhood of War is possibly the best war movie I've seen in recent years, so I highly recommend that but the catch is it is a South Korean flick, so the giftee would have to be okay with subtitles.

Stalingrad is decent, it's interesting to see it from a German perspective and you really feel the pure desperation they faced towards the end.

Stalingrad is decent, it's interesting to see it from a German perspective and you really feel the pure desperation they faced towards the end.

Might have to try and catch that myself - thanks for the suggestion!

Hello,

Did you see the link I posted?  It was from Amazon Spain (if your location is accurate).  The price is similar to one movie blu-ray.

Yes, but the audio is not in Spanish (Spain). A shame.

Again, as much as Band as Brothers might be good, lets keep it out of further discussion. He might have even seen it before so...

Hello,

Yes, but the audio is not in Spanish (Spain). A shame.

This one include Spanish (and French) dialogue:

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-Blu-ray-Scott-Grimes/dp/B00129H7VS

Again, as much as Band as Brothers might be good, lets keep it out of further discussion. He might have even seen it before so...

The same thing could be said about any of the films mentioned in this thread, surely?

Das Boot - an excellent movie.  It's a long movie and at times can be slow, but it is realistic and as gritty a WW2 movie ever made.  There are 2 versions, studio release is 149 minutes and the director's cut is 209 minutes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/

http://www.amazon.com/Das-Boot-Directors-Cut-Blu-ray/dp/B0064NTZ6W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1383552362&sr=8-6&keywords=das+boot

nETDSNE.jpg?1

Hello,

This one include Spanish (and French) dialogue:

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-Blu-ray-Scott-Grimes/dp/B00129H7VS

Movies, believe it or not, come in two types of Spanish: Spain and Latin American.

The same thing could be said about any of the films mentioned in this thread, surely?

I believe if I see it I know the films he has seen.

I should have made it clear that no TV series from the beginning so that was my fault. Lets keep it films only.