How/When did gaming become so hostile?

People turn hostile when one begins to complain about the game and the faulty thing is his rig. I think every industry has its fanbois , take cars for example- or even the military industry.

Also back in the days , gaming used to be art / hobby . Now its money and vice.

As kids I had a neighbor who always thought they had the better console but truth be told I never argued with him about it, if anything when I got bored playing mine I would run across the street and play on his.

I think society as a whole is going beyond materialism, and it's translating into something much worse. 

I've seen that on BF4, people complaining about frame rates or issues crashing and I've helped MANY of them out for free and them be much happier because it was their software/hardware setup all along (like one guy who couldn't figure out why he was crashing, 4.5 Ghz OC on an I7 on a Silent Cooler...no, just no) (mind you this is my profession so I can't always run a charity to help people for free).

I would like to add that while the internet has given rise to this abhorrent behavior, it did exist to a lesser extent before it. I would talk to friends who had a PS1 and I had N64. We'd go back and forth about which was better and at the time.

The Dreamcast had the potential to be an amazing consoles. It even had displays on the controller, which was innovative. The games also looked amazing too for the time. Sega lost so much money on it, and the launch of the PS2 put the last nail in its coffin.

How/When did gaming become so hostile?

Easy. When it became popular. In the early days the Xbox live community was actually good. Then came the COD generation.

It still is good.  People had personal preferences and "battles" of opinions long before COD.

OS/2 Vs Windows

iPhone vs Everything Else

Microsoft Dos vs DR Dos vs Novel Dos

DESQview vs Windows 3.11

Mac vs PC

Clothing Brands

Car brands

The internet made gaming hostile. Now wuss can hide behind their screen and talk trash and they don't get beat up for it. Trolling really doesn't help the situation and it's just ruining the point of gaming in the first place. You don't just walk up to a person in real life and tell them that Xbox sucks or PS4 sucks.

A keyboard and computer screen empowers kids to pretend they are the biggest, baddest, and most elite human alive.

Whereas if you encounter these people in person, they'll cower in the corner over the gentlest of disagreements.

This is the answer! Anonymity was something you and your friends didnt have as a kid, some people seem to take great pleasure in belittling others and their choices with the ability to hide behind a screen name. However also I think there is a change in attitude of the newer generations, I think there is a lot less respect for your fellow human. 

• Like 1

Silly stuff:

1) Playing FPS games with a console (controller/joypad). It's like playing a racing game with a keyboard on a PC. There are certain genres where one platform is simply correct and one is not.

2) Arguing that a console will be as good as a PC at graphics or sound

It is the way people are on the Internet. People like to cause arguments and generally be ignorant towards another person.

It's the "cool" thing to do.

I think most people here who care to read my posts know what i think of it all. It it pretty much ruining the industry.

I'm not saying people can't have an opinion, i like it when people disagree and offer another opinion but if they think their opinion is correct and stick by it to the point of being rude about it. That is where the problem is with forums, news sites today.

If you met the person in real life 9 times out of 10, that person doesn't actually have an opinion they just jumped on the popular bandwagon at that time.

I don't mind what's better, be either PS4 or X1, however I have seen persons that literally do everything to defend their console, the last one can be seen in this post: https://www.neowin.net/news/sized-up-xbox-one-is-massive-compared-to-the-ps4#comment-2413101, trying to sound smart saying that "guesses" are extremely inaccurate. People simply don't read nor have any idea about what they are talking about, even when they have like 50 years of pure research over them.

There is some strong fanfare of the Dreamcast, RIP. The Dreamcast had pretty good graphics in its day.

The Dreamcast was a great console...  One of my favorites that I've ever owned...

Ah the memories...  :)

Gaming has been hostile since competitive play (e.g. Pong).

Like it is now? I disagree. Now it is hostile to a psychotic level. People defend their platform like they'd defend their own mothers.

I'm not talking about competitiveness in gameplay. I am talking about the sheer hatred gamers seem to have towards one and other if they have different systems or prefer different types of gaming (Gamepad vs KB/M for example).

The absurdity of all of this is that diversity in this industry breeds competition, competition means more games and more content for the consumer. Trust me, you don't want any one company to have a monopoly in the gaming industry. If the big three don't keep each other on their toes, who will? The consumer? LOL. Nonsense.

I might prefer PS but I know that the only reason Sony will innovate and invest in that system is to try and keep MS at bay. If you favour Xbox, you should appreciate the same thing in reverse. Gamers of all stripes should make natural allies. We're all invested in the same hobby and our diversity of choice forces companies to compete for our attention.

Like it is now? I disagree. Now it is hostile to a psychotic level. People defend their platform like they'd defend their own mothers.

I'm not talking about competitiveness in gameplay. I am talking about the sheer hatred gamers seem to have towards one and other if they have different systems or prefer different types of gaming (Gamepad vs KB/M for example).

The absurdity of all of this is that diversity in this industry breeds competition, competition means more games and more content for the consumer. Trust me, you don't want any one company to have a monopoly in the gaming industry. If the big three don't keep each other on their toes, who will? The consumer? LOL. Nonsense.

I might prefer PS but I know that the only reason Sony will innovate and invest in that system is to try and keep MS at bay. If you favour Xbox, you should appreciate the same thing in reverse. Gamers of all stripes should make natural allies. We're all invested in the same hobby and our diversity of choice forces companies to compete for our attention.

I think you've just provided an answer in your own post - a lot of people differ on opinion and justify their decisions to an unnecessary end.

The internet made gaming hostile. Now wuss can hide behind their screen and talk trash and they don't get beat up for it. Trolling really doesn't help the situation and it's just ruining the point of gaming in the first place. You don't just walk up to a person in real life and tell them that Xbox sucks or PS4 sucks.

Exactly. 

It's always been hostile around here, except for the NES era. Well, there was a form of bullying if you didn't have a NES, you were an outcast. But then the 16-bit era was pretty hostile. We had kids getting stabbed when they argued about which Mortal Kombat console port was better. Then the PlayStation/N64 thing continued on where that left off. Then when MS originally wanted to get into consoles, people laughed at the Xbox with its gorilla controller.

I think the "PC gamer master race" thing is a newer trend though. Sure, PCs have been around all the time but it seems like with console games of the last 10 years or so largely having PC game counterparts, people can make those kinds of arguments. It wasn't really a deal back in the Nintendo/Sega days when Japanese games actually mattered and didn't have PC releases.

Silly stuff:

1) Playing FPS games with a console (controller/joypad). It's like playing a racing game with a keyboard on a PC. There are certain genres where one platform is simply correct and one is not.

2) Arguing that a console will be as good as a PC at graphics or sound

This is absurd.

FPS games play fine on controller.

1080p looks great from my couch and the audio on my TV will always blow away what i get on PC. 

You simply can't interject personal choice as matter of fact.

I did notice that "PC master race" reddit was shut down / banned because they doxxed one of the moderators..  just goes to show console users may be the sane one ;)

This is absurd.

FPS games play fine on controller.

1080p looks great from my couch and the audio on my TV will always blow away what i get on PC. 

You simply can't interject personal choice as matter of fact.

FPS games are ok on a controller, but I get a lot more precision out of a keyboard/mouse. On a console I can get a head shot, but on the PC I can shoot someone right between the eyes.

I agree with you on the resolution though. Don't need super high res if you're not sitting up close to the screen. As for the audio, my PC goes through the same surround sound as my TV does so no difference there.

It is the fact that, with the internet, and anonymous gaming for the most part, people, we people in general have lost our inter-personal skills. defending a game console? video game?

I bash on MS yes, I have stated this before as an example. I try and blend my reasons based on what I know of MS since I started using MS software Circa 1990. Then.. I'll look at how Ms does things now. a VERY stark contrast.

The internet has made things terribly impersonal.