Why Did Titanfall Fail Commercially?

it failed because of miscalculation, they made an exclusive in a less sold current gen console at that time... it was obvious that its gonna bomb...

i dont need to be patcher to not see that this its coming.

at the time of release the difference was insignificant and wouldn't have affected sales had it been reversed.

I hate to say it, but because it was an Xbox-exclusive title? Ryse suffered the same fate and nearly bankrupted Crytek. Exclusives are a bad idea financially, and even worse when the target console is performing as badly as the Xbone is.

Ryse has some bad ass visuals. They should make that game available for the PS4.

Ryse and Dead Rising 3 were X1 exclusives, but eventually made it to PC.  Titanfall was PC from day one.  Considering the insane system specs on some of the new crossovers to PC I'm not expecting them to sell any better there.

Hopefully EA realize its mistake and make titanfall 2 multiplatform

They've said 2 would be all current gen consoles practically since launch.

I played the beta.  I did not like it, at all.  when I saw the $5 price I was not surprised.  the reason why it failed I think is cause a large percentage of people don't find the UT style of game appealing anymore.  I don't want to play something thats feels like it was 10 years ago.

I personally want to see ww2 fps games now.  I'm tired of the modern/future fps games they've been doing for the past 7 years.  I want to see battlefield go back to ww2 with those great bf3/4 graphics.  it seems about time.

A bit off topic Gabe3 but I went and saw FURY great WWII movie. I'd also like to get back to some ww2 games. They just ran them into the ground but then again they haven't stopped with the fps future crap either. 

I'm not sure it can be pinned down to a single reason but I'd say:

1) The MS hype machine overhyped it as the great savior of the Xbox One and while it was a good game it couldn't match the insane hype so ended up leaving people disappointed.

2) It launched as a Xbox One console exclusive before MS dropped the Kinect and lowered the price so the platform it was tied to was performing poorly at the time.

3) The "Campaign" was universally panned along with the lack of a true single player experience.

4) The "Cloud" was overhyped.  This was supposed to show the power of the cloud but released with 6 vs 6 multiplayer that was doable even with player hosted games on the Xbox 360.  Heck the M.A.G. game for PS3 had up to 256 person battles and didn't even have "cloud computing" to support it.  8 vs. 8 should be pretty standard in current gen games as both the PS4 and Xbox One support 8 player chat for teams.  Sure the game has AI characters too but even then tops out at around 50 which is still nothing amazing.  Battlefield 4 has 64 player matches on PC, PS4, and Xbox One and was a launch title.

5) Not enough Content.  What was there was pretty good but people wanted more perks, more maps, more weapons, etc.  This made the game fun at first but killed the longevity as you quickly got used to what there was and moved on.

• Like 1

But single player (campaign) is boring as hell. The fun is on multiplayer online gaming.

IN YOUR OPINION.  Please try and learn to use that phrase.  For me, I have absolutely no interest in multiplayer online gaming with franchises like this one (Call of Duty, etc.).  For me, it's all about the single player campaign.

Played it for a few hours the same day it was released.  Put it in the case after and have not touched it since.

But single player (campaign) is boring as hell. The fun is on multiplayer online gaming.

Personally, I prefer single player.  Single player or co-op .  Playing against others who have master the game, or know how to manipulate things, is no fun at all.   I play purely to enjoy the game and to relax.  Playing against other players, or grinding, is boring and to much like work.

I don't own the game on PC but have played it on my friend's xbox one.

1. It's an exclusive game. Exclusive games need to be of superior quality to succeed as much as multiplatform games.

2. According to people i know the PC version is lackluster and probably did not sell much since online shooters is a very competitive market on PC.

3. Lack of content. Online only games need lot of content to keep people around for a while.

4. AI of grunts is atrocious. I understand it's supposed to be the case since the pilots are supposed to be god but still grunts pose no threat and are more a distraction than anything else.

Overall it's a nice game that was not very well marketed. They marketed it as the next big thing in the online shooters market and it failed to deliver.

I'm not sure it can be pinned down to a single reason but I'd say:

1) The MS hype machine overhyped it as the great savior of the Xbox One and while it was a good game it couldn't match the insane hype so ended up leaving people disappointed.

2) It launched as a Xbox One console exclusive before MS dropped the Kinect and lowered the price so the platform it was tied to was performing poorly at the time.

3) The "Campaign" was universally panned along with the lack of a true single player experience.

4) The "Cloud" was overhyped.  This was supposed to show the power of the cloud but released with 6 vs 6 multiplayer that was doable even with player hosted games on the Xbox 360.  Heck the M.A.G. game for PS3 had up to 256 person battles and didn't even have "cloud computing" to support it.  8 vs. 8 should be pretty standard in current gen games as both the PS4 and Xbox One support 8 player chat for teams.  Sure the game has AI characters too but even then tops out at around 50 which is still nothing amazing.  Battlefield 4 has 64 player matches on PC, PS4, and Xbox One and was a launch title.

5) Not enough Content.  What was there was pretty good but people wanted more perks, more maps, more weapons, etc.  This made the game fun at first but killed the longevity as you quickly got used to what there was and moved on.

TitanFall is still the BEST shooter of 2014...

6vs6 is good enough, since you have plenty of cannon fodder to shoot at as well...

Respawn added a lot of content (free and paid) to game as the months went on...

People knock Titanfall... All I say is, just play it...  

And the power of the cloud is very much there... Everything you see in the background (the wildlife, ships jumping in and out of orbit, and the cannon fodder AI are all from the cloud...

And the multi player in TF is top notch... let any one person jump out/in, and the game doesn't stop, skip or anything of the sort...  The cloud definitely works... its the media and others who tried to make it BIGGER than life...

KZ, CoD:AW, BF4, Halo:MCC, Destiny and any other shooter, do not run smoother than TF... 

And props to Respawn... small team with a BIG goal...  People are quick to dog the game... but they achieved a lot for what they had to work with... Imagine they had the amount of people that Bungie, or 343 had to make a game....

According to what metric? Your own personal feelings? It's certainly not the best selling shooter of 2014. I was trying to give a reasonable explanation of why Titanfall "failed commercially" (the OPs words not mine). I made a point to say it was a good game in point 1 and fun in point 5 as I was not trying to bash it, just explain why it didn't do even better.

6vs6 is good enough, since you have plenty of cannon fodder to shoot at as well...

"good enough" compared to what? Are we still just basing this off your personal feelings? 6 vs 6 is doable on last gen player hosted systems. Even with your "plenty of cannon fodder" the number of characters (players and NPCs combined) tops out at around 50 which is less than the 64 vs 64 of other games and the AI just isn't that impressive.

Yes they did and I give the props for continuing to support it but since it launched with so little content a lot of players moved on before all that content came out.

I'm not trying to knock it, I'm trying to honestly answer the OPs question of why it didn't do better.

And the power of the cloud is very much there... Everything you see in the background (the wildlife, ships jumping in and out of orbit, and the cannon fodder AI are all from the cloud...

I don't see anything in Titan that blows away non-cloud hyped games in terms of graphics, AI, etc.

The power of the cloud seems to have only manifested itself in the stability of it's multiplayer at launch.

And props to Respawn... small team with a BIG goal...  People are quick to dog the game... but they achieved a lot for what they had to work with... Imagine they had the amount of people that Bungie, or 343 had to make a game....

I totally agree with this but it in no way contradicts what I said or has anything to do with my post you replied to. It's a great game by a small developer that has supported it well but it isn't the super game changer it was overhyped as and as a result many are disappointed in it. That's not Respawn's fault, they didn't do the marketing.
  • Like 1

And the multi player in TF is top notch... let any one person jump out/in, and the game doesn't stop, skip or anything of the sort...  The cloud definitely works... its the media and others who tried to make it BIGGER than life...

KZ, CoD:AW, BF4, Halo:MCC, Destiny and any other shooter, do not run smoother than TF... 

1. Wolfenstein is the best 2014 Shooter, de facto. 

2. The textures are absolutely horrible. walk close to a wall and omg, its 2003 era textures with zero detail all over again. You can really see the developers understood the concept of good detail /s, not.

3. The cloud "AI" is a joke and honestly a marketing gimic. Come on.... the engine is old and nothing needs to be offloaded because honestly the console is seriously under powered if that is the case. Cloud AI brings no benefit to the consumer, its just for the developers to cut corners..

4. There are no servers for my country or anywhere in Africa....so....its limited to EU and US. Fail once again. Nice way to marginalize large gaming communities. 

5. Boring, boring, boring. This game has zero edge, titans are an unoriginal concept and honestly the guns/packs are average at best.

this game is a solid 6/10 that's for sure. 

It had no story or singleplayer what so ever.  I don't play multiplayer FPS's on consoles cause it hurts my hands after a while (I have small hands that don't fit the XB1 controller comfortably).

that depends. If they created the game in the formula of farcry or cysis, with both singleplayer and multiplayer, make the games great. single player gives the player a storyline while multiplayer gives the player a chance to play others online. I can't stand MP because of run n gun bunnies. I like tactical shooters myself.

Totalbiscuit and many many other people..... and you  too soon..  :rofl:

I played it for a good 1-2 hours and got bored pretty quickly, but have well over 100+ hours in Titanfall and Farcry 4

I played it for a good 1-2 hours and got bored pretty quickly, but have well over 100+ hours in Titanfall and Farcry 4

no no no no. Stop that. Farcy 4 I can accept, but dirty dirty Titanfail? No!  :laugh:

Companies like EA are doing more harm than good for the gaming community.  They have become experts at "pay to win" strategies, or withholding content that should have been part of a game only to sell it to you again later as DLC.

I haven't played the game, so I can't comment on how good or bad the game actually is, but what I can say is that locking it down to the XBox One before Microsoft had a chance to recover from the disaster that was their console release was probably a bad idea.

• Like 1

Says who?  I prefer a decent story to multiplayer.

Same here. The only game that I play on multiplayer is Counterstrike (1.6 & Source). Everything else, I preffer I good single player experience and never rate a game based on the mp experience.

Same here. The only game that I play on multiplayer is Counterstrike (1.6 & Source). Everything else, I preffer I good single player experience and never rate a game based on the mp experience.

That is what I find so shocking about the Halo Master Chief Collection.  I have seen some scores where it got 2.5 / 5 just because of multiplayer issues.  I am only interested in single player, and all these very low scores are skewed.