Xbox One Owner Impressions

And hmmm, vents on top of it make me want to stay away from putting anything on top of it, even if I avoid the vents. Thanks for the info. (Y)

yeah, Kinect never gets warm or hot, but I know they put in all the vents around it due to the chips built into Kinect this time around. If you can keep it clear, that's just being smart in my opinion.

So you don't have a shelf above your TV then? Your TV sits in the open, but is attached to the entertainment center via a mount that runs along the back of it down into the base cabinet?

Would be a great idea if my TV was mounted, unfortunately it is not. My entertainment center itself has a stand on it, so it is mounted to it, not the wall.

And hmmm, vents on top of it make me want to stay away from putting anything on top of it, even if I avoid the vents. Thanks for the info. (Y)

You can place kinect on the float shelf above the TV while your TV is mounted to the stand... 

If you have the entertainment center that look something like this:

amish%20plasma%20entertainment%20center%

Then you can place kinect on the shelf above the TV where you see the train with flower sits... you take that out and place sensor (kinect or PS camera) on that.

Not a problem.

New X1 arrived. I've been sent the wrong bundle. I got Fifa Day One instead of Forza. Phoned them up to complain. They've sold out of Forza bundle (not surprised). They're sending me a free copy of Forza. Great right?

Nope.

New console is damaged too :argh:  Bravo Microsoft, but hey at least there's no blood included this time! :rolleyes:

New X1 arrived. I've been sent the wrong bundle. I got Fifa Day One instead of Forza. Phoned them up to complain. They've sold out of Forza bundle (not surprised). They're sending me a free copy of Forza. Great right?

Nope.

New console is damaged too :argh:  Bravo Microsoft, but hey at least there's no blood included this time! :rolleyes:

What? Oh man I can't even empathise with how badly things have gone for you. Glad you are getting a copy of Forza, that is only fair.

How is it damaged this time?

What? Oh man I can't even empathise with how badly things have gone for you. Glad you are getting a copy of Forza, that is only fair.

How is it damaged this time?

Covered in scratches at the front where the DVD drive is. I didn't even take all the "protective" sheet off before I could see the damage. Dread to think what the rest of the console looks like.

Will be losing my ###### with MS on the phone later & demanding compensation for this whole mess.

If you guys haven't picked up Max: Curse of the Brotherhood yet.. Do yourself a favor and get it! Probably my personal game of the year. The next generation of platforming is a wonderful and addictive thing!

Nope.

Ouch, at least you got a free game out of it! :)

Kinda dodgy that they sent you a Fifa bundle instead of the Forza one just because the fifa bundle was less popular.

Maybe ask for a free controller or something after waiting for so long and getting duds so far I'd hope they'd give some compensation.

Turns out the PS4 camera came with a stand for the top of the TV, so I am cool with trying to find a solution. Kudos to Sony for including one in the box.

The camera itself, suspect at best. Right now I cannot even get it to do the first step in the process called depth recognition. It is telling me my room is not bright enough.

It is a very rainy day in NJ here, so hoping that is just the reason why, although I am not sure.

So nice they included a mount for the top of the TV, but so far, not so nice on the actual results.

Oh also, having a cat named Mason is apparently not good for the voice recognition stuff on the PS4.  :laugh: 
Everytime I have yelled his name, which is quite often as he is a mischievous bugger, the voice recognition starts since it does sound like PlayStation LOL

And Andy, that just sucks.

Ouch, at least you got a free game out of it! :)

Kinda dodgy that they sent you a Fifa bundle instead of the Forza one just because the fifa bundle was less popular.

Maybe ask for a free controller or something after waiting for so long and getting duds so far I'd hope they'd give some compensation.

I haven't been offered any compensation at all, not even for my original console (which has far more wrong with it), despite the news stating MS are giving away free games.

I'm betting that Shopto never had the Forza bundle at all and just selling Fifa to everyone. ###### I have that awful game printed on the sleeve but at least they made up for it with a free game. Far more than Amazon/MS ever did for me.

Looks perfect. Sure enough, no US version available. LOL Damn it. I did see a Kinect clip when I was at Best Buy last night. Maybe I can do the reverse.

Would be a great idea if my TV was mounted, unfortunately it is not. My entertainment center itself has a stand on it, so it is mounted to it, not the wall.

There was a DIY kinect stand post on /r/xboxone. Make your own using a wire hanger? :p

Nope.

Covered in scratches at the front where the DVD drive is. I didn't even take all the "protective" sheet off before I could see the damage. Dread to think what the rest of the console looks like.

Will be losing my **** with MS on the phone later & demanding compensation for this whole mess.

why are you blaming Microsoft for damage that was done by a third party?

I like my XB1 and love the controller, but the main disappointed to me is how powerful it is, but i knew this going in. I'm used to high-end gaming PC's and playing at higher res than 1080p, and the fact that quite a few games are not even 1080p bothers me. 720p looks nasty. So i wont be buying any game thats 720p no matter how good it is. That resolution is unacceptable, especially combined with 30fps.

When the 360 came out, it almost matched a high-end PC in graphics and power, but these latest consoles are very far behind PC hardware. Neither MS or Sony lose any money on each console sale this time, where as with the 360 and PS3 they both lost considerable money on each console sale at launch because the hardware was better for its time.

Will be losing my **** with MS on the phone later & demanding compensation for this whole mess.

Man, that really sucks, you have my condolences again. :(

It sounds like this shop you bought it from has some real explaining to do and SOMEONE needs to set it right.

Turns out the PS4 camera came with a stand for the top of the TV, so I am cool with trying to find a solution. Kudos to Sony for including one in the box.

The camera itself, suspect at best. Right now I cannot even get it to do the first step in the process called depth recognition. It is telling me my room is not bright enough.

It is a very rainy day in NJ here, so hoping that is just the reason why, although I am not sure.

So nice they included a mount for the top of the TV, but so far, not so nice on the actual results.

Oh also, having a cat named Mason is apparently not good for the voice recognition stuff on the PS4.  :laugh: 

Everytime I have yelled his name, which is quite often as he is a mischievous bugger, the voice recognition starts since it does sound like PlayStation LOL

And Andy, that just sucks.

That's the sensitivity to light issue that I have no stomach for.  It frustrated me with the first Kinect and Sony did nothing to address it with its ps4 camera.  It could be the reason I don't get one ever. It sounds like such a small thing, but Kinect's IR emitter really is a big deal for daily reliability and usage of the camera.

I haven't been offered any compensation at all, not even for my original console (which has far more wrong with it), despite the news stating MS are giving away free games.

I'm betting that Shopto never had the Forza bundle at all and just selling Fifa to everyone. ****ed I have that awful game printed on the sleeve but at least they made up for it with a free game. Far more than Amazon/MS ever did for me.

That's a serious problem for ShopTo.

You mentioned the console, but did the controller turn out to be fine this time?  If so, at the very least you are fully aware of what MS can do and they will dispatch a replacement console asap.  Then you can lean on them to get that free game others have gotten. 

ShopTo really needs to hear it though.  They screwed you over.

###### ShopTo. They were charging ?10 more than everywhere else when Kinect 1 launched. Got a blunt reply on twitter regarding price matching. ###### will never see a ? of mine.

You've had a right old time of it, munky. Hope you get it sorted soon.

I like my XB1 and love the controller, but the main disappointed to me is how powerful it is, but i knew this going in. I'm used to high-end gaming PC's and playing at higher res than 1080p, and the fact that quite a few games are not even 1080p bothers me. 720p looks nasty. So i wont be buying any game thats 720p no matter how good it is. That resolution is unacceptable, especially combined with 30fps.

When the 360 came out, it almost matched a high-end PC in graphics and power, but these latest consoles are very far behind PC hardware. Neither MS or Sony lose any money on each console sale this time, where as with the 360 and PS3 they both lost considerable money on each console sale at launch because the hardware was better for its time.

Games look good to me and I have a GTX Titan haha. Considering the X1 is half the cost of my graphics card alone, I would say it is amazing in performance. I would even say Forza and Max: Curse of Brotherhood look better than any PC game I currently own.

That's a serious problem for ShopTo.

You mentioned the console, but did the controller turn out to be fine this time?  If so, at the very least you are fully aware of what MS can do and they will dispatch a replacement console asap.  Then you can lean on them to get that free game others have gotten. 

ShopTo really needs to hear it though.  They screwed you over.

They know they sent the wrong bundle. They don't have any Forza bundles in stock. Nothing else they can do but accept a return. They've given me a free copy of Forza and I get to keep Fifa (not that I want it). At this stage I'm at the end of my tether with it all. At least Shopto will be out of pocket and I'll be making sure Microsoft are too.

**** ShopTo. They were charging ?10 more than everywhere else when Kinect 1 launched. Got a blunt reply on twitter regarding price matching. ***** will never see a ? of mine.

You've had a right old time of it, munky. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Replacement is set up; "3 to 5 days". Not a chance with xmas in the way. With my luck, December 2014 is more likely ;)

Well, at least you'll have a whole bunch of my ghosts to try and beat in Forza, buy the time you finally get it sorted.

BRING IT!!! :| :laugh:

Sorry missed these replies..

why are you blaming Microsoft for damage that was done by a third party?

There was no damage caused by a 3rd party?

Man, that really sucks, you have my condolences again. :(

It sounds like this shop you bought it from has some real explaining to do and SOMEONE needs to set it right.

There's no way anyone has stock of a Forza Day One bundle by now. Couldn't believe I even managed to think I found one on Friday when I ordered, but I guess I should have seen it coming. Either they really did have them and they sent me the wrong one, or they just wanted to fleece people and send FIFA bundles to get rid of them because nobody wants them.

That's the reason I have given up on Amazon/MS. They would have to create a new box etc just for me. No way they'll go to that length for Joe Bloggs. This is why I've never owned a LE console before. It dies and you're SoL. Just didn't think it would happen with a basic console.

Well, at least you'll have a whole bunch of my ghosts to try and beat in Forza, buy the time you finally get it sorted.

BRING IT!!! :| :laugh:

I suppose that's one way of looking at it :p

That's the reason I have given up on Amazon/MS. They would have to create a new box etc just for me. No way they'll go to that length for Joe Bloggs. This is why I've never owned a LE console before. It dies and you're SoL. Just didn't think it would happen with a basic console.

Well that is a risk, that is true.

Honestly though, the root of all of this is the faulty controller.  Think about it.

If your controller was in fine shape, then you would have simply taken MS up on the advanced exchange for the console, kept your day one bundle and be back up and going in days. 

Well regardless of your insane and might I add fairly unlikely troubles, I hope you have a good holiday.  Hopefully you can relax and actually do something fun instead of dealing with this stuff.

Looks perfect. Sure enough, no US version available. LOL Damn it. I did see a Kinect clip when I was at Best Buy last night. Maybe I can do the reverse.

I bought the pdp tv mount for $20 at bestbuy, works great... Can you put ps4 camera in front of the tv?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kinect-sensor-kit-for-xbox-one/1838482.p;jsessionid=913D7F82EEEE927916418B034E95A503.bbolsp-app04-108?id=1219065985770&skuId=1838482&st=pdp%20kinect&cp=1&lp=1

Well that is a risk, that is true.

Honestly though, the root of all of this is the faulty controller.  Think about it.

If your controller was in fine shape, then you would have simply taken MS up on the advanced exchange for the console, kept your day one bundle and be back up and going in days. 

Well regardless of your insane and might I add fairly unlikely troubles, I hope you have a good holiday.  Hopefully you can relax and actually do something fun instead of dealing with this stuff.

Oh trust me, there is a lot of problems with my original bundle. I'm a collector as much as a gamer and the whole package was not fit for sale. Just last night I was taking new detailed photos of it before I send it back and I notice the Xbox logo on the console is falling off :no: Cheapest glue available was used obviously.

And thanks, you too. At least I still have my PS4 (Y)

Glad you like it man. I haven't gone next gen yet. I was at Target a couple days ago and the PS4 shelf was empty and they had like 4-5 one's. I wonder if that indicates that the PS4 is better...

Glad you like it man. I haven't gone next gen yet. I was at Target a couple days ago and the PS4 shelf was empty and they had like 4-5 one's. I wonder if that indicates that the PS4 is better...

You been living under a rock recently? Microsoft has been able to replenish stock as fast as it's selling out.  Sony hasn't.  It has nothing to do with one being better than the other.  If you want to go by anecdotal evidence, I was at my closest target two days ago and saw both consoles in stock.  What does that mean in your world?