official xbox one microsoft support

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#16 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 25 November 2013 - 15:47

DNLA - streamed a few avi and mp4 movies with no issues using the Play To function on my laptop.  As expected, mkv files did not..

I know this is not really convenient but have you tried Play To with M2TS files? (They work for me on 360). Most common MKVs have H.264+AC3 in them which is same as M2TS. All PS* and Xbox* support that format.
Try remuxing a MKV into M2TS and see if that works.
http://ps3muxer.org/

#17 +LightEco

LightEco

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 November 2013 - 16:34

trooper11, on 25 Nov 2013 - 00:18, said:

Game DVR is not called Upload.

There are 3 apps at work there:
Game DVR
Upload
Upload Studio

I think this is the major issue at play here. It seems that Microsoft made the core dashboard launcher and then modularized everything else into individual apps that feel like they were made by different teams. This leads to a rather jarring experience when every other page you enter has its own splash screen and every app feels rather different from the others. Do I really need a splash screen to view a list of my games and apps or to go from friends to achievements? On the 360 everything felt like it was an integral part of the dashboard and had to be integrated carefully. While most "apps" here share the same UI design theory, they don't all follow it in practice, leading to a majority of my complaints above. I would love to see the rifts between the apps flattened out a bit more - kill the splash screens, enforce a common theming color (including background), etc.

As for the Game DVR example, its really jarring because the button in Friends is literally labeled "Game DVR", but hitting it opens "Upload". That is just terrible UI design. Its like clicking a shortcut on your computer called "Word Processor" and the computer opening Word.

Like you said though, I can't wait for future updates. The console has a lot of potential and I would hate to see it fail due to a ton of little problems like these.

#18 OP trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 25 November 2013 - 16:57

I think this is the major issue at play here. It seems that Microsoft made the core dashboard launcher and then modularized everything else into individual apps that feel like they were made by different teams. This leads to a rather jarring experience when every other page you enter has its own splash screen and every app feels rather different from the others. Do I really need a splash screen to view a list of my games and apps or to go from friends to achievements? On the 360 everything felt like it was an integral part of the dashboard and had to be integrated carefully. While most "apps" here share the same UI design theory, they don't all follow it in practice, leading to a majority of my complaints above. I would love to see the rifts between the apps flattened out a bit more - kill the splash screens, enforce a common theming color (including background), etc.

As for the Game DVR example, its really jarring because the button in Friends is literally labeled "Game DVR", but hitting it opens "Upload". That is just terrible UI design. Its like clicking a shortcut on your computer called "Word Processor" and the computer opening Word.

Like you said though, I can't wait for future updates. The console has a lot of potential and I would hate to see it fail due to a ton of little problems like these.

Great points. I agree that they can certainly work on unifying these apps more with the overall system in terms of design. There are definitely lingering issue that can be ironed out.

As far as the Game DVR thing, I agree that they need to either change the name or combine functions with say 'Upload'

#19 IceBreakerG

IceBreakerG

Local Ninja! Code Ninja That Is.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:57

I've posted a few of the things I've thought about the system so far in the launch thread, but here's an "official" mini-review I guess:

Things I Like

• The performance of the new dashboard is leaps and bounds better than the 360.  Switching in and out of apps is fast and fluid, and while it can get a little laggy, is still very nice.
  • The voice commands with Kinect 2.0 are very impressive.  It's very similar to the way speech recognition works on Windows now, but I'm sure it'll get better over time too.
  • The new controller is awesome in almost every way (I'll point out the negative below).  The feel, the triggers, the new dpad (which has a very nice feel to it), the weight.  All good stuff.  I also like that they moved the guide button further up as well, as this pretty much eliminates accidental presses (it's happened more than I care to mention on the 360).
  • The overall experience of using the system, from the controller to the voice commands together is great.  Just using the system in general feels completely different from anything else I've used.
  • Going back to voice commands, being able to quickly get to pretty much any app from anywhere in the system by just saying "Xbox go to <app name>" is so much faster in most cases than using the controller, not to mention other things that would be more difficult to get to (like the help menu).
  • Voice chat quality is much improved over the 360.

Things I Don't Like (Or Needs Improvement)

• The navigation can be very confusing at first.  Too many things are buried in other areas that make it difficult to get to (at least without using voice commands).  The UI navigation needs to seriously be reworked to make it easier to move around (ie. the store example, if you go to an app in the store, pressing the back button doesn't take you to the home page of the store, it takes you to the home screen.  Going back to the store takes you back to the app page.  This is not intuitive at all).
  • Party "chat" is muted by default.  Seriously?  Who made this stupid decision?  If I'm joining a party "chat" I expect to be able to chat.  It also seems that party chat can be a little slow in general too if you're in a game.
  • The whole 3 app deal with the Game DVR, Upload and Upload Studio.  Seriously, this needs to be one app.  Also, Game DVR really needs to allow for recording of clips longer than 5mins.  For something as small as a boss fight, that can take longer than 5mins.
  • Small gripe here, but when you use the voice command "Xbox Select...", often it stops listening on it's own too soon, especially if I'm waiting for something to load, by the time it loads I don't have enough time to read the options then say them before it stops, which makes me have to repeater the command.
  • Before yesterday and today, I never saw an achievement notification.  Apparently, you can only unlock achievements if you're online.  This is something that seriously needs to be fixed, because I'm always online.

Oveall, I'm happy with the system.  It's not perfect by any means, but all the issues I have with it can be fixed through software updates later on.

#20 deadonthefloor

deadonthefloor

Neowinian

Posted 26 November 2013 - 20:45

Time for me to chime in on my launch experience.

Due to my own stupidity, I had to make a 90min round trip to the next town over to pick it up.

Once I got home is when the problems began.

Unboxing:  Protective plastic on the shiny parts was not completely covering the unit, so there is some surface scratches.  This is a non-issue, just a sad inconvenience.

Controller is not assembled properly.  The left palm grip is off by about .5MM which means the outer edge has a ridge, and the inner edge has a sharp edge where the three plastic bits meet.  I felt soreness where the ridge was after playing DR3 for 3 hrs straight.

The rest of my experience is in line with the rest of the folks here.

I don't know how to join my friend's DR3 game though, as online seems to do automagic matchmaking.

#21 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 November 2013 - 20:52

I know this is not really convenient but have you tried Play To with M2TS files? (They work for me on 360). Most common MKVs have H.264+AC3 in them which is same as M2TS. All PS* and Xbox* support that format.
Try remuxing a MKV into M2TS and see if that works.
http://ps3muxer.org/

I have many files, how long does it take to convert? Can you convert multiple files?

---

The only issue I have right now is Kinect / voice commands. Apparently I need my Kinect to be mounted above the TV. What are people using to mount their Kinect to the top of the TV?

#22 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:00

I have many files, how long does it take to convert? Can you convert multiple files?

---

The only issue I have right now is Kinect / voice commands. Apparently I need my Kinect to be mounted above the TV. What are people using to mount their Kinect to the top of the TV?

why do you need to have it on top of your tv?  mine is not and I have no issues with the voice commands..

#23 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:05

why do you need to have it on top of your tv?  mine is not and I have no issues with the voice commands..

Thought installation said Kinect works best high up. I don't know, I didn't set my Xbox One up, my roommate did and we have an Ikea media center, so it's like low-profile the ground.

#24 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:10

Time for me to chime in on my launch experience.

Due to my own stupidity, I had to make a 90min round trip to the next town over to pick it up.

Once I got home is when the problems began.

Unboxing:  Protective plastic on the shiny parts was not completely covering the unit, so there is some surface scratches.  This is a non-issue, just a sad inconvenience.

Controller is not assembled properly.  The left palm grip is off by about .5MM which means the outer edge has a ridge, and the inner edge has a sharp edge where the three plastic bits meet.  I felt soreness where the ridge was after playing DR3 for 3 hrs straight.

The rest of my experience is in line with the rest of the folks here.

I don't know how to join my friend's DR3 game though, as online seems to do automagic matchmaking.

have you tried join his party first?I havent had a chance to do the online co-op yet on DR3

#25 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:29

Thought installation said Kinect works best high up. I don't know, I didn't set my Xbox One up, my roommate did and we have an Ikea media center, so it's like low-profile the ground.

Mine seems to work better right in the middle. The install game gives the same recommendation, up to something like 1.7m high but in some games it will complain it can't see floor at that height for me. I'm building a small shelf to go right under the tv

#26 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:35

Mine seems to work better right in the middle. The install game gives the same recommendation, up to something like 1.7m high but in some games it will complain it can't see floor at that height for me. I'm building a small shelf to go right under the tv

I found this, it's not in english.

Xbox.png

I don't have any games, I just want to use the voice command for now.

But, they make Kinect mounts for under the TV don't they?

#27 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:39

My housemate and I were geeking out last night with my XB1 that arrived.  There were so many "WOW" moments.  My favourite was when he came back inside after a smoke and the Kinect automatically signed him in using facial recognition and then a  "Welcome <snip>..."  notification appeared and we were BOTH signed in.

Oh, and achievements and status updates are earnt for all signed in profiles so it didn't matter who was "playing", we were there together.  It's a very social and much welcomed experience.

#28 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:40

But, they make Kinect mounts for under the TV don't they?

I believe they do, i just enjoy working in my wood shop too :) I'll make something that matches my media shelf or speaker cabinets because i'm strange like that.

#29 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:41

My housemate and I were geeking out last night with my XB1 that arrived.  There were so many "WOW" moments.  My favourite was when he came back inside after a smoke and the Kinect automatically signed him in using facial recognition and then a  "Welcome <snip>..."  notification appeared and we were BOTH signed in.

Oh, and achievements and status updates are earnt for all signed in profiles so it didn't matter who was "playing", we were there together.  It's a very social and much welcomed experience.

It is awesome.. it makes gaming with my kids so much easier. They no longer default to my profile because it was such a hassle to have their own and with it recognizing them when they walk in they won't go in and crash all of dad's career mode cars.

#30 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:44

It is awesome.. it makes gaming with my kids so much easier. They no longer default to my profile because it was such a hassle to have their own and with it recognizing them when they walk in they won't go in and crash all of dad's career mode cars.

Indeed!  It's awesome.  I can only imagine if you have friends over and it signing the entire room in automatically.

Honestly, I see why Microsoft was so intent of bundling a Kinect with the console itself.  It's a core part of the experience, even if you don't want to use it for voice commands or games.  It makes a lot of the previous manual labour automatic so you can just enjoy.