Computer Speakers

You would need cables. Depending on the audio card you may be able to hook up a fiber cable or you would need a composite converter for 5bux. No big deal either way.

You are happy with what you have....keep it

Here is a review of PC speakers, some 2.0, some 2.1.  The review is by C|Net so be sure to look at other reviews if available.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-pc-speakers/

Here's another list at Newegg, check out the reviews.  (The Corsair system looks interesting, was posted earlier)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007679%20600010683%20600010685&IsNodeId=1&name=5.1

Looks like they type of system you're looking for.  Great reviews at Amazon ($359.99).  Logitech has very good customer service.  The remote is also a nice addition and a 2 year warranty.

I love music - and i'm going to hook it up to a TV for my bed room. But I want it to be extremely loud. I like the Bose - it's loud but i'm more impressed by it's clarity. More bass would be nice - but I don't see any legit suggestions. Sure getting a receiver will help but they do for $200 and I don't even have any speakers as yet. 

Yamaha AV + Polk or Energy speaker set will sound a lot louder than either Logitech or Bose with a much better clarity on high volume, especially when compared to Logitech. Compared to Bose, the sound will be richer.

By going this route, you'll be granted an entrance into a totally different dimension. I'm not kidding. 

These are 2-way speakers with 5.25" (Polk) or 5.5" (Energy) wide main drivers wrapped in quality cases. It doesn't make any sense to even try to compare them with small and loud tweeters covered in plastic.

And the bass will sound very satisfactory even without the sub. I guarantee it. These are 125W each speakers (both Polk and Energy).

If you are serious about your sound and home theatre experience, this is the way to go. It's all up-gradable. It's future-proof. It's just like with PCs. You can get a premade HP/Dell etc desktop PC, or you can purchase the parts separately and put it all together by yourself. And sometimes when you build your dream PC, you don't buy all parts at the same time as it may take several months of saving up and buying little by little. It's the same concept with home theatre setup.

p.s. The cumulative total peak output power of this Yamaha AV is 660 WATTS. 

• Like 1

Pioneer AV + Polk or Energy speaker set will sound a lot louder than either Logitech or Bose with a much better clarity on high volume, especially when compared to Logitech. Compared to Bose, the sound will be richer.

By going this route, you'll be granted an entrance into a totally different dimension. I'm not kidding. 

These are 2-way speakers with 5.25" (Polk) or 5.5" (Energy) wide main drivers in quality cases. It doesn't make any sense to even compare them with small and loud tweeters covered in plastic.

And the bass will sound very satisfactory even without the sub. I guarantee it.

If you are serious about your sound and home theatre experience, this is the way to go. It's all up-gradable. It's future-proof. It's just like with PCs. You can get a premade HP/Dell etc desktop PC, or you can purchase the parts separately and put it all together by yourself. And sometimes when you build your dream PC, you don't buy all parts at the same time as it may take several months of saving up and buying little by little. It's same thing with home theatre setup.

yes, but a little overkill for a pc, unless the pc is now the central av point in their living room

fair enough :)

I'm not pushing or anything.

But I think we can all agree that it's much better and financially sound to buy something only once even if it means paying a reasonable premium on it than to keep on exchanging trash for trash every few years.

If I didn't spill water on my first AV, it'd still be working. The one I'm using now is six years old. My speaker set is thirteen years old. I don't see a reason to upgrade any of them at all. 

Yamaha AV + Polk or Energy speaker set will sound a lot louder than either Logitech or Bose with a much better clarity on high volume, especially when compared to Logitech. Compared to Bose, the sound will be richer.

These are 2-way speakers with 5.25" (Polk) or 5.5" (Energy) wide main drivers wrapped in quality cases. It doesn't make any sense to even try to compare them with small and loud tweeters covered in plastic.

And the bass will sound very satisfactory even without the sub. I guarantee it. These are 125W each speakers (both Polk and Energy).

If you are serious about your sound and home theatre experience, this is the way to go. It's all up-gradable. It's future-proof. It's just like with PCs. You can get a premade HP/Dell etc desktop PC, or you can purchase the parts separately and put it all together by yourself. And sometimes when you build your dream PC, you don't buy all parts at the same time as it may take several months of saving up and buying little by little. It's the same concept with home theatre setup.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH540-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B00BHC7ZT4/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386715549&sr=1-12&keywords=dts-hd+master+audio+7.1  

what would the cumulative total peak be with this ?  Seems alot cheaper than the Yamaha ... and this is the American Amazon so i would need to get the Canadian cost. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH540-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B00BHC7ZT4/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386715549&sr=1-12&keywords=dts-hd+master+audio+7.1  

what would the cumulative total peak be with this ?  Seems alot cheaper than the Yamaha ... and this is the American Amazon so i would need to get the Canadian cost. 

It's $228 USD (Sony) vs $200 CAD (Yamaha). Sony's total peak power is 725W (145W x 5). 

Still, I think you should totally look for more options and better deals when it comes to both AV and speakers. The FutureShop example was more or a less a guideline of what's available at those prices. It's quite possible to save here and there a little if you shop around.

what about matching a good receiver with the Z906 ?  

I'm interested in buying the z906 first - then get a receiver later on. 

Boxing day deals are coming up soon so that will be the date I start buying stuff..

The 2.1 or 2.0 settup with the energy plus receiver sounds good... but i'm not sure how much better it would be than the Z906 by itself.. and it's something I can set up easily. 

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=64882&vpn=980-000467&manufacture=Logitech&promoid=1592

The Logitech Z906 Speakers, simply the best in their class and they sound awesome we have them in our meeting room at work...they are amazing.

Agreed, if you like your 506's and want louder this is the way to go. I have the Z-5500's (their predecessor) and I've had them for many years, they're fantastic

Agreed, if you like your 506's and want louder this is the way to go. I have the Z-5500's (their predecessor) and I've had them for many years, they're fantastic

and I can always use a receiver to upgrade them later right ? 

Sort of, not exactly. Receivers are powered, you won't be using your subwoofer you will be getting a different subwoofer for that duty. You will be able to make use of your satellites.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8699029&csid=_22

?

Actually cheaper to buy this separate (DERP!) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7664214&csid=_61

Higher model number, so I presume it's better in some way. (haven't checked)

That receiver with the package wasn't the best so I tried to find one better and the Sony I listed was slightly better in the same price range. I wanted more inputs and more power but I am asking to much in that price range.

Sort of, not exactly. Receivers are powered, you won't be using your subwoofer you will be getting a different subwoofer for that duty. You will be able to make use of your satellites.

are the sats on the Z906 better than what's available on the energy and polk ?  

The energy and Polk are better. Count the amount of speakers you see in the box. 2 is better than 1, and a tweeter and mid or a tweeter and woofer is better than two mids or two tweeters (9 out of 10 times).