Dublin, Ireland – A teenage girl died on the street after a pharmacy refused to hand over a life-saving adrenaline injection to the girl's mother because she didn't have a prescription.
Emma Sloan, 14, suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts after mistaking satay sauce for curry sauce at a Chinese restaurant in Dublin. She told her mother, Caroline, she was having difficulty breathing.
The family rushed round the corner to the Hamilton Long chemist shop but a male worker told Caroline they couldn’t give her an EpiPen shot - a special allergy injection - without a prescription. The worker advised Sloan to take her daughter to hospital but Emma collapsed on the street outside.
A passing doctor, as well as ambulance staff and firefighters, tried to resuscitate her but it was too late. The teenager died in front of her two sisters.
This is a ****ed up situation but.....I gotta go with the pharmacist
As much as I feel for the family and the girl, the pharmacy is in the right. You are not allowed (by law) to give out prescription-only medication without a prescription, if they did give out an epipen and it made things worse, people would be howling at the pharmacy saying 'how dare they give out a prescription medication without a prescription!'
Exactly. There are just so many legal and health issues....
I say the girl was an idiot for not carrying her prescription/medicine with her.
Had this happened to a family member of mine, I would have just robbed the pharmacy. They take no hit for the stolen prescription drugs, my family member lives, and I'd stand a very decent chance of getting off due to the circumstances.
Im not sure if she was on prescription/medicine. I think she is simply allergic and thats it.
I understand from a sentimental point of view you would rob the store but do remember that it would have legal consequences.
The mother also should have immediately called 911 and probably headed to emergency if not. If she knew she had allergic reactions that serious, wth were they doing anywhere in a peanut sauce serving restaurant and how could she have eaten it without knowing? That's also somewhat irresponsible.
Thats something I dont understand; Why take her to a pharmacist shop when you should have called 911 (actually 112) FIRST then, if neccesary, take her to a pharmacist shop?
This is a tough situation but the pharmacist did nothing wrong. He is not allowed to give prescription drugs.
I remember once that I had to take some pills but ran out. I went to the pharmacy and I was denied because the prescription date for my pills was a bit later than when I went. It was my fault for losing a couple of pills so I had to go earlier but either way I needed them. I was refused so I called 112 to get medical attention at a local community health center. I told them that I HAD to get a prescription for the drugs because I had lost them and THEN I got a legal prescription.
Relating to this case, yes, it might have taken longer to do the process I did but it might have saved her life. Also, considering this EpiPen is something common, I suppose most hospital have some for emergency situations so the hospital would be administered it no questions asked...Reading while I write, even if injected with this EpiPen, it says afterwards you should seek immediate medical attention so....