Photo
north carolina standard procedure profiles privacy invasive and unfair litigation

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 16:44

I have no problem with them lookup up applicants Facebook profiles. Have something you don't want to be made public? Don't make it public then.

Asking applicants for their Facebook password is ridiculous though and I'd never do it (even if I did have a silly Facebook account).

#17 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,869 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 14 January 2014 - 16:53

Eh, that is ridiculous.

It's public information, why wouldn't you be allowed to look it up.

it's not public information most of the time though. if you're smart you have your account set to only allow those you've friended to see you posts (which i think is the default anyway)

#18 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,166 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 14 January 2014 - 17:06

it's not public information most of the time though. if you're smart you have your account set to only allow those you've friended to see you posts (which i think is the default anyway)

Exactly, in that case they can't see anything anyway. I don't say they should friend you or make you accept their friend request or have you show them your Facebook, but why wouldn't they be free to find you through Google/Search and look at whatever is there publicly?

#19 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,190 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 17:19

Eh, that is ridiculous.

It's public information, why wouldn't you be allowed to look it up.

Its not entirely public information. This is why we have privacy settings.

Its information you wish to share with a certain number of verified friends, not for the general public.

Also its made illegal as I imagine its a form of social discrimination, i.e just because i go free-fall parachuting, doesnt mean im more likely to die on my days off and thus a no hire.

Allowing discrimination on a much broader spectrum is not a good thing, and employers need to realize that.

#20 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,190 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 17:24

Exactly, in that case they can't see anything anyway. I don't say they should friend you or make you accept their friend request or have you show them your Facebook, but why wouldn't they be free to find you through Google/Search and look at whatever is there publicly?

Fragmented posts and usernames from across the net via google arent going to be anywhere near as accurate as a FB profile. Simply as the information there looking up is not necessarily you.

Nor can you build an accurate idea of someone from as I say random fragments. Would be easier if there was a profile or page that held all of it... oh wait....

#21 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,166 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 14 January 2014 - 17:27

Fragmented posts and usernames from across the net via google arent going to be anywhere near as accurate as a FB profile. Simply as the information there looking up is not necessarily you.

Nor can you build an accurate idea of someone from as I say random fragments. Would be easier if there was a profile or page that held all of it... oh wait....

Well still, if it's public there's no real thing they can (or should) do to ban it if you ask me.

And that is something I'll never know. Ambroos is my real first name and there are very few people named Ambroos on the internet.