chrome for windows phone

Right so you don't know what you are talking about and got caught in a lie. Pretty much all of the BIG AAA apps as you call them are on windows phone. I can't wait till mobile world congress when we get to see new windows phones!

Hope you are ready to be disappointed then, Nokia is the only comapny putting any real effort into WP8 and MS is about to absorb them, and even those devices have been hit or miss

The app gap right now is not that big apps are missing, but rather that new apps arrive first on ios and android and then, eventually, on windows phone. They are obviously not on par right now. Then obviously there's way more than apps in a smartphone. I absolutely love my Lumia 925 and would never change it for anything.

Who knows.  Just speculation and he said/she said at this point.  They should just do it to shut up everyone...on both sides.

Surprised FireFox hasnt released an app for WP yet.  Then again, they are probably more concerned with their own phones.

You won't see Firefox for Windows Phone for a while. Microsoft doesn't allow third party browsers on RT or Windows Phone devices. Firefox won't release a browser that isn't truly Firefox. This is the same reason you won't find Firefox on iOS.

Google on the other hand could since they released a Chrome shell for iOS. I'd imagine they won't due to their current war with Microsoft.

Will Microsoft ever allow third party browsers such as chrome or firefox to work on the windows phone or the surface?

Seems like antitrust issues again, like way back with windows 95. I hate it when companies control what you can have and can't.

WP isn't in a dominant position, so no antitrust. Its MS's phone OS and they don't have to do anything just like you don't have to buy it, the reason they got into trouble in the past was that windows was in a monopoly position and they used this to kill off the competition, this is obviously not the case here.

Question is: why would you want Chrome on Windows Phone anyway? I you really cared about which browser you were using then you would have chosen your phone to match your preference to start with?

From what I can gather, most people don't care which browser they're using on their phone or tablet.

I've got more a feeling that we're discussing with a wall, rather than you talking to a wall, the wall resembles you. You say that there are still big apps missing in the Windows Phone Store but you refuse to give an example. Who's the wall here?

Guess i've been talking to a wall. Nevermind.

Anyway. Do not expect Chrome or any other Google app ever to hit the Windows (Phone) Store, they are just being rediculus over there. If they don't want to play the game, so be it. The actual fun comes when Windows Phone takes a big part of the pie and Google is too late with its apps. They are just scared, after all, if they release their apps on Windows Phone, there realy is no reason for a customer to stick on Android. For browsers in general: it's possible to create and distribute your own browser with its own render engine trough the Windows Phone Store (the required languages to do so are available), however, no one is doing it. That's not Microsofts problem, but Mozillas and Googles or any other browser vendor.

I've got more a feeling that we're discussing with a wall, rather than you talking to a wall, the wall resembles you. You say that there are still big apps missing in the Windows Phone Store but you refuse to give an example. Who's the wall here?

Anyway. Do not expect Chrome or any other Google app ever to hit the Windows (Phone) Store, they are just being rediculus over there. If they don't want to play the game, so be it. The actual fun comes when Windows Phone takes a big part of the pie and Google is too late with its apps. They are just scared, after all, if they release their apps on Windows Phone, there realy is no reason for a customer to stick on Android. For browsers in general: it's possible to create and distribute your own browser with its own render engine trough the Windows Phone Store (the required languages to do so are available), however, no one is doing it. That's not Microsofts problem, but Mozillas and Googles or any other browser vendor.

ok sure, I'll name a few :

HBO Go+ app

Yahoo messenger

Google Mail App, G Docs, G Earth

Flipboard

Native Opera browser

Youtube..... proper features

Steam App. Supported by steam to ensure safe transactions and all the full features, not available on WP.

official Minecraft app

Swype keyboard app

And in general the wide range of Android / iOS games

Tinder App - got taken down, Tinder doesn't want its services on the platform.

Happy? No offcourse not.....i'm probably gonna get flamed so hard for this list amongst the lines of "no one uses those apps/ they aren't important".

Happy? No offcourse not.....i'm probably gonna get flamed so hard for this list amongst the lines of "no one uses those apps/ they aren't important".

take it easy man. It's not the world vs you.

Google on the other hand could since they released a Chrome shell for iOS. I'd imagine they won't due to their current war with Microsoft.

The reason there is Chrome for iOS is because WebKit is built into iOS because of Safari. It was extremely easy for Google to basically shell Safari to create Chrome for iOS. Google would have to totally port WebKit over to Windows Phone/Windows RT from scratch which would be a huge task. I'm sure Google has other more pressing issues to concern itself with right now than to port WebKit or Chrome to a platform that doesn't have 5% market share. It would be nice to see other rendering engines make their way over to Windows Phone, but until more people start using the OS, the browser makers have no reason to spend their time or money doing so.

I found an article indicting Microsoft bans firefox on arm based windows.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57431236-92/microsoft-bans-firefox-on-arm-based-windows-mozilla-says/

I love my windows phone, but when companies don't give me a choice I tend to move on.  Ms is moving to one system any way right?

You should start to think when it says "Mozilla says" and when the date is from Windows 8's beta stage. Microsoft didn't ban anything, Mozilla is to lazy to build and then start blaming them, in fact, they have more freedom on Windows RT then on iOS, never heard them complain about that.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57431236-92/microsoft-bans-firefox-on-arm-based-windows-mozilla-says/

I love my windows phone, but when companies don't give me a choice I tend to move on.  Ms is moving to one system any way right?

HBO Go+ app

Yahoo messenger

Flipboard

Native Opera browser

Steam App. Supported by steam to ensure safe transactions and all the full features, not available on WP.

official Minecraft app

Swype keyboard app

You forgot the "If those are important to you, why aren't you using android" answer :D

HBO Go+ app

Yahoo messenger

Flipboard

Native Opera browser

official Minecraft app

Swype keyboard app

Well, since you asked for it:

HBO Go+: Never heard of it, must be a local thing?

Google Apps: Go and blaim Google, anyway, who uses them anyway on a Windows Phone? Third parties do a good job, through.

Flipboard: Coming soon (wait, isn't it there already anyway?)

Opera: What's wrong with IE?

YouTube: see "Google Apps", anyway, there was an official perfect app, but Google took it down, because they s*ck. Third parties do a good job, through.

Steam: the big question is, why would you want to buy games on a smartphone for your PC?

Swype: isn't even possible, so who cares?

Tinder: lot's of third party apps that are as good as, perhaps even better then, an official client

Games: nha, who cares, most popular games are on Windows Phone, not all games are cross platform anyway, not even between Android and iOS, so why would every game be crossplatform for Windows Phone? Just to have a point to blame?

What AAA apps are missing from the WP platform? Its got pretty much everything out there excepting if its made by Google.

Well for one, a suitable dropbox app, many google apps missing and really there are no decent equivalents, metro talk is "ok" but it's getting shut down, google drive equivalent completely blows, unfortunately the store is one big "giant sadness", still love my Lumia 1520 though.

I don't have the time or energy since there are soo many missing. You do the math.

Its just the Google / Mozilla is not making the apps. There are browsers on the WP market: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-pk/store/search?q=internet+browser

If you say that they are not browsers just skins, then so is Chrome / other browsers on iOS. So if anyone will be sued, its Apple :)

%Snipped% You already did.

That basically means that MS is following the Apple footpath, you can create a skinned version of your browser, just like Google/Mozilla do on iOS.