Dell: 'Windows 7 for the win.' promotion

umm.. dell has always been also selling windows 7 pcs. they just happen to have a sale on these devices. this is not the same thing as what hp did (back by popular demand on the main page).

Once more this goes to prove what customers really want. Windows 8.x it ain't.

how?

• Like 3

umm.. dell has always been also selling windows 7 pcs. they just happen to have a sale on these devices. this is not the same thing as what hp did (back by popular demand on the main page).

how?

This is the first time since the Windows 8 release Dell are promoting Windows 7 this heavily. 

How is it a sign of customer demand for Windows 7? You know, two major OEMs promoting it like this to me is a definite sign that consumers don't really care for Windows 8.x. 

• Like 2

Or it's a sign that PC sales in general are down and they think W8 is the cause. Which it isn't imo but I wish them luck with their little marketing stunt. Now the next step should be looking at other companies like Lenovo that are doing much better than HP and Dell and think about why that is the case.

This is the first time since the Windows 8 release Dell are promoting Windows 7 this heavily. 

How is it a sign of customer demand for Windows 7? You know, two major OEMs promoting it like this to me is a definite sign that consumers don't really care for Windows 8.x.

No, they just want to blow out their pre-imaged old hardware before their sales bottom out.

I don't see where you get that these are being promoted "heavily". they are merely promoting a sale on devices they've always been selling. who's to say they aren't trying to unload product that's not moving? therefore I fail to see how this has anything to do with demand for windows 8. In fact, in the same slide, they are "heavily" promoting windows 8 with the venue tablet, ehm.

No, they just want to blow out their pre-imaged old hardware before their sales bottom out.

Couldn't have out it better myself. So i wont :p

Looks like you don't want to see the truth. It's all pretty new hardware, with Haswells and pretty good configurations.

All brands are doing pretty much the same. In Belgium Sony is starting to actively market that you can downgrade all their laptops to Windows 7. 

• Like 2

Newsflash, Dell, HP and everyone else "never" stopped selling Windows 7. It's just more marketing as all traditional PC Sales' "growth" is down year over year. There is a small market of those who are avoiding Windows 8, most consumers could care less and are probably more attracted to 8. There's just no compelling reason, or applications. Consumers play games and those run on 7 just as well as 8.

There simply is no "need" to upgrade to 8 right now on the desktop. I don't mind Modern UI in 8.1, there's just no significant desktop apps in Modern UI. There's helpful utilities, some I'm not relying on for convenience, but no killer app or game exists yet for Modern UI.

Dragon's Lair for Windows 8 is actually well done (and overpriced, though I would pay $9.99 for a Modern version of the old Laser Disc game Cliff Hanger though I have it on Mame64), far from a killer app but I like the quality. This year may see higher quality Modern apps and the eventual Modern Office (stripped down functionality for Modern UI of course).

Microsoft is going to recover from the disasters that were Windows 8 RTM and Sinofsky.

Unfortunately for gaming, Xbox for Windows is basically dead IMO.

Looks like you don't want to see the truth. It's all pretty new hardware, with Haswells and pretty good configurations.

All brands are doing pretty much the same. In Belgium Sony is starting to actively market that you can downgrade all their laptops to Windows 7.

It is the truth. They already paid for those OEM licenses and want to sell them.

As for your second comment, everybody doing something doesn't make it the right thing to do. Downgrade rights are not new and all OEMs have offered them when a new version of Windows is released. Many corporate customers demand it because it's expensive to do an infrastructure upgrade.

HP and Dell are just trying to capitalize on the overblown "let's hate Windows 8" trend. Marketing 101.

It's just like car dealers having "blow-out" and "clearance" sales on last year's models.

"The old ones have to go so we have room for the new ones!"

Does that mean last year's Ford Focus or Mustang is any better than this years?

Nope.

It's just like car dealers having "blow-out" and "clearance" sales on last year's models.

"The old ones have to go so we have room for the new ones!"

Does that mean last year's Ford Focus or Mustang is any better than this years?

Nope.

Thing is, they're not old models. They're brand new Haswell laptops. Launched in Q3 or later.

• Like 1