'Back by popular demand.': HP goes back to Windows 7

+Frank B.

Screen-Shot-2014-01-19-at-22.22.33.png

It looks like HP are not convinced of Windows 8.x gaining traction. You can now buy their PCs and laptops with Windows 7 again on their US website

I can't say I'm too surprised - despite what some Neowin community members think many normal users are not at all keen on Windows 8.x, even over a year after its launch.

• Like 11
margrave

It's not selling as it was suppose to. I'm not surprised at all since Dell has been doing this too. Have to try to sell something.

User6060

didn't the same thing happen with vista and xp if I'm not mistaken? 

firey

didn't the same thing happen with vista and xp if I'm not mistaken? 

I believe so, you could pay an extra 50$ or something for them to wipe vista and put on windows XP.

MorganX

Understandable for enterprise sales. I would recommend that consumers go with Windows 8.1.

Oddly enough, with mobile devices our enterprise users are taking to it quite nicely. Still not ready for enterprise desktop IMO, but when it is, it probably won't be as bad as it once seemed, at least not for end users.

• Like 1
djdanster

Before the MS Windows 8 apologists come and trounce this thread....

HP have clearly done their research otherwise they wouldn't have done this!

• Like 3
Phouchg

But of course! Why settle for Win8x if you already have Win9x (in concept).

/stolen joke

Ace

HP know that people are inherently lazy and fear change of any kind.

Will they still be selling Windows 7 PCs to consumers in 2017-2020? I doubt it.

He's Dead Jim

I'm sure PC world had a W7 Laptops for your business range on their UK website long after 8.1 was the standard

Geoffrey B.

I really do not see why so many people have issues with windows 8. Its not like with vista there were performance issues.

• Like 1
+Red King

They could just advertise Windows 8 as Windows 7 with optional features, but they don't and it alienates some people.

Eric

I don't see much value in this. They're missing the point. People aren't deciding against buying desktops and laptops because of Windows 8. They're buying portable devices.

• Like 1
Phouchg

I really do not see why so many people have issues with windows 8. Its not like with vista there were performance issues.

Pretty much anything with mechanical hard drives, especially loaded with bloatware, sooner or later gets performance issues.

I don't see much value in this. They're missing the point. People aren't deciding against buying desktops and laptops because of Windows 8. They're buying portable devices.

I figure portable devices are selling only 1) where people can afford them to follow the trend and 2) where people cannot afford anything else. I work in retail and such portable device (namely, tablet) sales are as shyte as they can be, while enterprises keep buying desktops and people keep buying laptops in increasingly greater numbers. Now, of course, it's not a great deal of market, but I feel obligated to note that the "portable device" statement is not accurate everywhere.

Raa

If the sales are there, why not?

jakem1

So only haters are allowed to post in this thread?

Knife Party

get ready to be flamed.

djdanster

So only haters are allowed to post in this thread?

Don't twist my words.

Rickkins

HP know that people are inherently lazy and fear change of any kind.

Seriously....?? Ya don't think maybe it's because it turns out that consumers aren't the rubes microsoft thought they were and they've rejected tifkam as the (blank) that it is.....???

It's not tifkam, it's just misunderstood. It's the peoples' fault.

Nick H.

Don't forget that this doesn't mean that they have stopped offering Windows 8. They just seem to understand that everyone is different and prefers different things.

• Like 2
vcfan

Don't forget that this doesn't mean that they have stopped offering Windows 8. They just seem to understand that everyone is different and prefers different things.

it has nothing to do with that. this is part of the "war" hp declared on Microsoft recently, which I find pretty humorous. first, they armed themselves with chromebooks and android tablets. it seems the plan has quickly crumbled.

DConnell

Good call by HP.

A better one would be making decent computers. It doesn't matter what version of Windows is running on the computer if the hardware itself is junk.

Nick H.

it has nothing to do with that. this is part of the "war" hp declared on Microsoft recently, which I find pretty humorous. first, they armed themselves with chromebooks and android tablets. it seems the plan has quickly crumbled.

I've not seen anything about this "war" other than HP moving towards Android devices while also pointing out that Microsoft moving in to hardware makes them competitors, but since I can't find any specific mention about why they have made this decision, your guess is as good as mine. Personally I would consider it more of a business move than an act of agression. Offer Windows 7 as well as Windows 8 to cater to your customer's wants.

EDIT: I should probably reword that last bit as you're not saying that HP have done this as an act of agression, you're saying that they are going back on their plans with Android. But still, I may as well leave it.

Luc2k

it has nothing to do with that. this is part of the "war" hp declared on Microsoft recently, which I find pretty humorous.

I bet HP would feel quite silly if they knew W7 is a MS product.. They need new strategists, like those scroogled guys. They're brilliant!

• Like 1
LimeMaster

This isn't surprising at all. OEMs have always offered the option to buy a laptop or PC with the previous version of Windows pre-installed. :)

• Like 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      HP announces new Chromebooks for education
      by Rich Woods

Today at BETT, HP is announcing a series of Chromebooks, just like you'd expect from an educational event. For teachers, the company is introducing the Chromebook 14 G7. which packs Intel processors, a 14-inch screen, an ultra-wide HD webcam, and more.

For students, there's a wide range of products. That includes the Chromebook x360 11 G4 EE, the Chromebook 11 G9 EE, the Chromebook 11MK G9 EE, and the Chromebook x360 11MK G3 EE. these are all 11-inch laptops, the ones marked with 'x360' are convertibles, and the ones marked with 'MK' have MediaTek processors.

Another thing that they all have in common is that they're meant to be student-proof, meaning that they can stand up to things like spills and drops. In fact, they can resist spills of up to 11.8oz. They also come with HP Classroom Manager which creates a virtual environment for the students and lets teachers control students' web and app use.

HP didn't announce any pricing, but the Chromebook 11MK G9 EE and Chromebook x360 11MK G3 EE will arrive this month, the Chromebook 14 G7 and Chromebook 11 G9 EE will arrive next month, and the Chromebook x360 11 G4 EE will arrive in March.

• By indospot
      The U.S. government has revoked more Huawei licenses
      by João Carrasqueira

Huawei seems to be getting in even more trouble with the United States government. According to a report by Reuters, citing sources familiar with the matter, the Department of Commerce has issued notices indicating that the administration intends to reject a number of applications for American companies to be allowed to deal with Huawei. On top of that, some existing licenses have been revoked, including Intel's.

The United States government, particularly under the Trump administration, has been harsh on Chinese companies, and Huawei has been the most notable target of its restrictions. The smartphone manufacturer was added to the country's entity list back in 2019, restricting its ability to conduct business with American companies. That's why, since then, we've seen Huawei phones ship without Google services, while the company tries to push its own ecosystem of apps.

American companies can still apply to obtain licenses to work with Huawei, which allowed some laptops to still run Windows or have Intel processors, for example. However, the latest restriction would put even more of a hamper on Huawei's business. Aside from Intel, memory chip manufacturer Kioxia (formerly Toshiba Memory Solutions) is also said to have had its license revoked. Some sources claim that up to eight licenses for four companies have been terminated.

In a last-ditch effort to save at least part of its business, Huawei recently sold off its Honor sub-division to a Chinese consortium, which should save it from all the restrictions imposed by the government. Honor recently announced an Intel-based variant of its MagicBook Pro laptop at CES, which should still be happening since the company has been separated from Huawei.

Around the world, some countries have followed the U.S. in their efforts to curb Huawei technology, removing its products from 5G networks. However, others, such as Brazil, are still welcoming the company to build out their infrastructure.

More recently, the Trump administration appears to be doubling down on its efforts to restrict Chinese companies since the November 3 election. In December, a number of companies were added to its entity list, including SMIC and DJI, and more recently, transactions with eight Chinese apps were banned in the U.S. President-elect Joe Biden is expected to take office this week, and it remains to be seen whether the new administration will signal a new stance from the U.S. towards China.

• By zikalify
      Brazilian government allows Huawei to take part in 5G auction
      by Paul Hill

Reuters, citing the Brazilian newspaper O Estado de S. Paulo, has said that Brazil is likely to allow Huawei to participate in the 5G auction that’s set to take place in June. The Bolsonaro government of Brazil has been looking for ways to exclude the Chinese company from the country’s networks, following the lead of the United States, but between Trump’s upcoming departure from the White House and the cost of excluding Huawei, Jair Bolsonaro is being forced to backtrack on his plans.

The Brazilian newspaper had cited government and industry sources to back up claims that Brazil will allow Huawei into the 5G network auctions later this year. It said that with China being Brazil’s biggest trade partner and Huawei being more cost-competitive, Bolsonaro has faced resistance to banning the Chinese firm from industry and members of his government including Vice President Hamilton Mourao.

VP Mourao told the newspaper that any company that takes part in the auction will be subject to the country’s data protection laws and must respect Brazil’s sovereignty. One of the arguments put forth by the current U.S. administration is that Huawei has links to the Communist Party of China and therefore data won’t be safe if Huawei is allowed into 5G networks.

While Trump’s departure may have saved Huawei’s prospects in Brazil, it has come too late for the company in other countries like Poland and the United Kingdom which have already moved to ban Huawei from their 5G networks and remove it where it has already been installed.

Source: Estadao (Portuguese) via Reuters

• By Rich Woods
      HP Spectre x360 14 review: Finally, 3:2 displays are coming to more devices
      by Rich Woods

Back in October, HP announced a refresh for its smaller Spectre x360 PCs, which is typically just the 13.3-inch model. But for the first time, the company introduced the Spectre x360 14. Now, you might be thinking that the '14' indicates that it has a 14-inch display. It doesn't; rather, it indicates that '13' is already taken, as this PC actually has a 13.5-inch screen.

It's not just any 13.5-inch screen though. It's got a 3:2 aspect ratio, something popularized by Microsoft's Surface PCs. In fact, taller screens are becoming more and more common throughout the industry. HP also has an OLED option, a first for a 13.5-inch screen.

Of course, that's not all that's new here. It has Intel's 11th-generation processors with Iris Xe graphics, Thunderbolt 4, and more.

Specs
      CPU Intel Core i7-1165G7 (up to 4.7 GHz, 12 MB L3 cache, 4 cores) GPU Intel Iris Xe graphics Display 13.5" diagonal, WUXGA+ (1920 x 1280), Touch, IPS, edge-to-edge glass, micro-edge, 400 nits Body 11.75x8.67x0.67in, 2.95lb RAM 16GB Storage 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD Ports (2) Thunderbolt 4
      (1) USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
      (1) 3.5mm audio Battery 4-cell, 66 Wh Li-ion polymer Input Full-size island-style backlit keyboard, Precision Touchpad Support Webcam HP True Vision 720p HD IR camera with camera shutter and integrated dual array digital microphones Connectivity Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 combo Audio Audio by Bang & Olufsen; Quad speakers; HP Audio Boost Material Aluminum Color Poseidon Blue Price $1,589.99
      Day one
      Design
      I've said this many times before, but HP's Spectre x360 series is the sexiest line of PCs on the market. Honestly, these are great laptops, but the design is absolutely a differentiator. This is the type of PC that if you use it in public, people are going to notice it. It's a long way away from the boring old MacBook clones that we still see a lot of, and it's really impressive how it's evolved over the years.

The color of the model that HP sent me is called Poseidon Blue and it has Pale Bronze accents. This is actually the first time that the company has sent me a Poseidon Blue Spectre, which is pretty cool. It also comes in Nightfall Black with Copper Luxe accents, and that one is also stunning. And finally, there's boring old Natural Silver, a color that HP actually killed off one year and then brought back due to popular demand.

The Pale Bronze accents actually look silver, so it's very pale. You'll notice the chrome-colored HP logo stamped in the lid. You can also see the Pale Bronze hinges in the image above; what you can't really see is that the sides are also this color, along with other parts.

It also has gem-cut edges, adding to the style that you find in the Spectre x360. Note that this design is the same as we saw with the last couple of generations of the Spectre x360 14, just adapted for the larger form factor.

You'll notice on the right side that there's a microSD slot, a 3.5mm audio jack, and one USB Type-C port. That USB Type-C port is Thunderbolt 4, which frankly, isn't all that different from Thunderbolt 3. They both support 40Gbps data transfer speeds, or up to two 4K monitors on a single port. The difference is that Thunderbolt 3 had a minimum spec that used two lanes instead of four, supporting half of that, and there was no easy way to know what you were buying. HP always supported the full spec, so nothing is really changing here. That's a good thing, by the way.

Tucked in the corner there is a second Thunderbolt 4 port. The cool thing about that one is that it's designed to keep the cable out of your way, and you can fold the display back without the cable getting in your way as well.

On the left side, there's a USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A port, which gets speeds of 5Gbps. If you're unfamiliar with USB 3.2 Gen 1, you might know it better as USB 3.1 Gen 1, or USB 3.0, because they're exactly the same and it just keeps getting rebranded. I'd like to have seen USB 3.2 Gen 2 (or USB 3.1 Gen 2) on here. After all, this is a premium laptop and other PCs are getting it, so I'm not sure why we're getting last-gen ports.

Also, notice that while one of the back corners has a USB Type-C port, the other corner is empty. In previous designs, there was a power button here, but this has been moved to the keyboard.

But most importantly, this convertible laptop is sexy. When it comes down to a laptop that I want to carry with me, the Spectre x360 is it, and a big part of that is because of the design.

Display and audio
      Like I said earlier, the Spectre x360 14 has a 13.5-inch 3:2 display. If you don't like taller displays, don't worry because the Spectre x360 13 was refreshed alongside this. You can still get a 13.3-inch 16:9 screen if that's what you want. Keep in mind though that this isn't just 0.2 inches larger. Screens are measured diagonally, so the change in aspect ratio means that it's actually a much bigger display, and it's 25.6mm taller.

This is also a better aspect ratio for portrait orientation. The wider screen is great for a laptop use case, but this is a convertible. This is meant to be used as a tablet just as much as a PC. Now, it feels more natural that way.

There's also an app pre-installed called HP Display Control, which has different settings for the display. This something that the company started using when it introduced OLED displays on its Spectre lineup, because while OLED produces vibrant, beautiful colors, they're not necessarily accurate. HP's display calibration software solved that issue, and now it's available for all screens.

The viewing angle is a full 178 degrees, meaning that you can look at it from any angle without any visible distortion. Also, it's worth noting that this display does come in a 4K OLED variant. While we're starting to see more and more 3:2 laptops hit the market, this is the only one I've seen with an OLED option. I believe that HP did send OLED to some reviewers, but not this one. The company did say it was working on getting me one a few weeks ago, but frankly, I couldn't hold back this review any longer.

Also, there's a 1,000-nit Sure View Reflect option. That's HP's privacy screen technology which is designed to prevent people from looking over your shoulder and being able to see what's on your screen.

Once again, HP partnered up with Bang & Olufsen for the speakers, of which where are four. There's a speaker bar right above the keyboard, something that actually went away on the 13.3-inch model thanks to the footprint shrinking so much. But thanks to the taller display on the 13.5-inch version, it's almost like HP can just use the old chassis.

There are also speakers underneath the device. That way no matter what orientation you're using the Spectre x360 in, you have sound firing at you.

The speakers are loud and they're clear, creating a pretty solid media consumption experience. Whether you're listening to music at your desk or you're playing a game, this gets the job done.

Keyboard and trackpad
      The keyboard spans edge to edge on the deck, and it's the same as it is on the 16:9 one. Like I said, the key difference is that it once again has the speakers above it. This keyboard has grown into being one of my favorites for a consumer PC. HP had originally produced what I believe to be the best keyboard on a laptop in its EliteBook 1000 series, but now it's bringing it to more devices.

The keys don't feel wobbly at all, and they seem to have the perfect amount of resistance to be comfortable. It's also a particularly quiet keyboard, something that's really nice if you're like me and tend to hit the keys too hard at times.

HP also moved a lot of other parts to the keyboard. There's no switch on the side of the chassis for a physical camera shutter anymore, and like I said above, there's no power button on the corner anymore. The way the camera shutter works has changed too. Previously, HP disconnected it internally, an elegant solution that probably wasn't convincing enough for a feature that's designed out of distrust. Now, it disconnects it internally, but it also shows a physical block over the camera.

The fingerprint sensor is part of the keyboard now too. Previously, it was to the bottom-right of the keyboard. Adding these keys to the keyboard is a design change that we're seeing across HP's lineup.

The touchpad is a Microsoft Precision touchpad, something that HP took longer than its competitors to adopt. That means that it's faster, it's more responsive, and it supports the gestures that you're used to.

Performance and battery life
      The Spectre x360 14 that HP sent me includes an Intel Core i7-1165G7 and 16GB RAM. The CPU is a quad-core chip with eight threads from the Tiger Lake family. Tiger Lake is Intel's second-generation 10nm family, the first of which was Ice Lake, so the process has been refined a bit.

But also, it includes new Iris Xe graphics. Last year's Ice Lake chips began a focus from Intel on its integrated graphics, so that's being taken to a new level now. Yes, you can play FHD games on this machine, and it's pretty impressive. I'm doing things on thin and light PCs that I'd previously never have done without dedicated graphics.

And if you do need dedicated graphics, you can use Thunderbolt 4 to plug in an external GPU. That's a major benefit of Thunderbolt, which is more or less exclusive to Intel PCs. You can take this on the go and have the power of Iris Xe graphics, and bring it home to a desktop setup that has two 4K monitors and an external GPU, all running off of the two Thunderbolt 4 ports.

For battery life, that's impressive as well. Doing regular work, I got at least eight hours out of it, although I wasn't able to stretch it to 10 hours. This is with the power slider one notch above battery saver and the display brightness at 50%. Of course, this is the FHD model, so that number will suffer if you get the UHD OLED model or the 1,000-nit Sure View configuration. One thing that I can say about HP is that it absolutely cares about battery life in its products, and it rarely lets me down. This is definitely among the best battery life in its class.

For benchmarks, I used PCMark 8, PCMark 10, and Geekbench 5.

Spectre x360 14
      Core i7-1165G7 Spectre x360 13
      Core i7-1065G7 Dell XPS 13 2-in-1
      Core i7-1165G7 Acer Aspire 7
      Ryzen 7 4700U PCMark 8: Home 4,094 3,243 4,344 3,702 PCMark 8: Creative 4,527 3,818 4.560 4,228 PCMark 8: Work 3,896 3,034 3.980 3,689 PCMark 10 4,705 4,147 4,929 4,718 Geekbench 5 1,414 / 4,470 1,526 / 5,623
      Conclusion
      HP's Spectre x360 is my favorite family of PCs, just because they're so unique and sexy. Now that the smaller model comes with a 3:2 display, I'll tell you what I really want. I want HP to do this with the larger 15-inch model. Give me something with a 45W CPU and dedicated graphics with a bigger 3:2 display, but I digress.

My only complaints are that it's using a last-gen USB Type-A port, and also that there's no cellular option. HP did announce the Spectre x360 5G at the same time that it announced this, but that's still using the 16:9 display. If you want 3:2, there's no cellular option for the first time in years.

But this is an awesome PC, even aside from the design that I can hardly get over. I'm happy to see the speakers return to the keyboard deck, and speaking of the keyboard, this is probably my new favorite on a consumer laptop. It's phenomenal.

Everything about the Spectre x360 14 is phenomenal, and as always, I totally recommend it. You can find it on Hp.com here.

• By Rich Woods
      HP announces the ProBook x360 11 G7 Education Edition
      by Rich Woods

Today, HP is announcing the ProBook x360 11 G7 Education Edition. As you'd expect from a laptop that's clearly aimed at students, it's meant to be tough. It passes 19 MIL-STD-810H tests, has metal-reinforced corners, and has a Gorilla Glass 3 damage-resistant touchscreen. It's also designed to be easily cleaned and sanitized, tested for 1,000 cleanings. HP also has Easy Clean 2.0 software that disables the keyboard, touchpad, and touchscreen while you're cleaning it.

It has Wi-Fi 6 connectivity, although there's no cellular or anything like that. The ProBook x360 11 G7 includes Intel's new 10nm Pentium Silver and Celeron processors, along with 4GB or 8GB LPDDR4x RAM and up to a 256GB SSD. The screen is 11.6 inches with HD resolution.

It has HP's PC security features, like Sure Sense and BIOSphere, and it has HP's digital classroom tools. The company is including School Pack 4.5, which is a set of education software and system tools to help with learning. For teachers, HP has Classroom Manager, which helps to remotely control students' PCs by restricting app use and so on.

The ProBook x360 11 G7 EE is going to be available in February, although HP didn't announce pricing.