2014-07-22 15:46:28.8307|Info|musiX.Application.Application_Startup|### STARTING musiX, version 1.0 (Build 291) ###
2014-07-22 15:46:34.5439|Info|musiX.MainWindowViewModel.AddDirectoryFromWelcomeExecute|Adding folder from welcome screen
2014-07-22 15:46:39.1750|Info|musiX.CollectionManager.IsUpdateNeeded|An update of the collection is required
2014-07-22 15:46:39.1750|Info|musiX.CollectionManager.UpdateLibrary|+++ STARTED UPDATING COLLECTION +++
2014-07-22 15:46:39.2000|Error|musiX.CollectionManager.CreateSong|Failed to get tags of D:\My Music\Air - All I Need.mp3. Exception: Could not load file or assembly 'taglib-sharp, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db62eba44689b5b0' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
2014-07-22 15:46:41.9392|Error|musiX.CollectionManager.CreateSong|Failed to get tags of D:\My Music\Zero 7\Zero 7 - Your Place.mp3. Exception: Could not load file or assembly 'taglib-sharp, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db62eba44689b5b0' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
2014-07-22 15:46:41.9392|Error|musiX.MainWindowViewModel.AfterUpdating|Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
2014-07-22 15:48:25.2302|Error|musiX.EditTagsWindowViewModel.mGetTagsWorker_DoWork|There was a problem getting the tags. Exception: Could not load file or assembly 'taglib-sharp, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db62eba44689b5b0' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
2014-07-22 15:48:32.4005|Error|musiX.EditTagsWindowViewModel.mGetTagsWorker_DoWork|There was a problem getting the tags. Exception: Could not load file or assembly 'taglib-sharp, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db62eba44689b5b0' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
2014-07-22 15:48:44.7195|Error|musiX.EditTagsWindowViewModel.mGetTagsWorker_DoWork|There was a problem getting the tags. Exception: Could not load file or assembly 'taglib-sharp, Version=2.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db62eba44689b5b0' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
2014-07-22 15:49:24.4275|Info|musiX.MainWindow.MetroWindow_Closing|### STOPPING musiX, version 1.0 (Build 291) ###

thats the log with just the tracks in between A to Z cut out for space saving.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

The issue is pretty clear. MusiX cannot find the assembly "taglib-sharp", which means the taglib-sharp.dll is missing from the folder you have extracted musiX too. Probably caused by the manual extract. Can you verify this?

Did you ever experiment with using sqllite or a similar internal database with regards to storing/reading the music library?  Just wondering since it looks like you store that information in a xml file and was wondering if something like sqllite would be faster and/or better at memory allocation then a xml file.

Either way, nice work on this player.  Glad to see fast response times to issues/suggestions.

I didn't experiment with sqlite yet, but I have been thinking about it. I've been trying to figure out if it would improve performance over xml. What I could conclude until now (from documentation on the web):

- storage in xml is faster for smaller amounts of data (I couldn't find a data limit though) especially since actions/queries on the xml can be done completely in memory

- sqlite is faster for larger amounts of data, but actions/queries are executed on the sqlite file and thus on disk

So for now I chose to keep the xml storage. Basically this is how musiX treats the XML:

- the xml is loaded in memory completely at startup

- all actions are performed completely in memory, large queries are ran using several CPU cores

- the xml is saved in background (you'll never notice when) every few minutes and on shutdown of musiX

You've probably also noticed I'm relying a lot on attributes in the xml to song save data, while lots of other software prefer to use child elements. I prefer to use attributes for now, as it makes the xml more human-readable in case of issues.

I'm interested though if anyone has more information or experience in comparing xml and sqlite storage for this type of data :)

I didn't experiment with sqlite yet, but I have been thinking about it. I've been trying to figure out if it would improve performance over xml. What I could conclude until now (from documentation on the web):

- storage in xml is faster for smaller amounts of data (I couldn't find a data limit though) especially since actions/queries on the xml can be done completely in memory

- sqlite is faster for larger amounts of data, but actions/queries are executed on the sqlite file and thus on disk

So for now I chose to keep the xml storage. Basically this is how musiX treats the XML:

- the xml is loaded in memory completely at startup

- all actions are performed completely in memory, large queries are ran using several CPU cores

- the xml is saved in background (you'll never notice when) every few minutes and on shutdown of musiX

You've probably also noticed I'm relying a lot on attributes in the xml to song save data, while lots of other software prefer to use child elements. I prefer to use attributes for now, as it makes the xml more human-readable in case of issues.

I'm interested though if anyone has more information or experience in comparing xml and sqlite storage for this type of data :)

It seems this topic at stackoverflow goes through the pros/cons:  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/77726/xml-or-sqlite-when-to-drop-xml-for-a-database

Thanks!

The issue is pretty clear. MusiX cannot find the assembly "taglib-sharp", which means the taglib-sharp.dll is missing from the folder you have extracted musiX too. Probably caused by the manual extract. Can you verify this?

well yes and no...   I don't have a taglib-sharp.dll in my extracted folder, but I do have a TAGLIB_SHARP.DLL in there.

a simple rename of the file from an underscore to a dash made the tag editing work again.

When it's ready for the prime time, I've got roughly 560GB / 5100 files to throw it's way. So what ever works best for that would be good :)

well yes and no...   I don't have a taglib-sharp.dll in my extracted folder, but I do have a TAGLIB_SHARP.DLL in there.

It's not case sensitive, so you have the correct file.

Would you also be able to make shuffle and repeat be able to be toggled on at the same time ? so that i can have non stop listening.

At the moment, one cancel's out the other.

When it's ready for the prime time, I've got roughly 560GB / 5100 files to throw it's way. So what ever works best for that would be good :)

It's not case sensitive, so you have the correct file.

No it's not the case that is the difference, one has a dash, the other an underscore.

Would you also be able to make shuffle and repeat be able to be toggled on at the same time ? so that i can have non stop listening.

No it's not the case that is the difference, its the underscore and dash between.

yep, totally missed that, even after double checking :/

Edit the file name yourself? What's the worst that could happen? :innocent:

a simple rename of the file from an underscore to a dash made the tag editing work again.

And I think I know why. The MSI internally uses ID's for the files to install. As ID's don't support "-" I replaced all "-" by "_". ID's are also uppercase. So somehow, by extracting the MSI manually, you got the filesnames as ID's and not with their correct name.

To prevent this, I can provide a portable musiX build next time if you want.

No it's not the case that is the difference, one has a dash, the other an underscore.

The shuffle is infinite :) It's already looping. Technically it's not really shuffling, more like a randomizer. That's the reason they now cancel each other out.

yep, totally missed that, even after double checking :/

Edit the file name yourself? What's the worst that could happen? :innocent:

That's asking for breakage. I'm providing a portable musiX next time :)

That's asking for breakage. I'm providing a portable musiX next time :)

ooh great news :)

would that also be truly portable by having all the config files and databases save to the program folder instead of the user folder ?

Sorry for breaking things by doing it a different way, but hopefully more knowledge has come from this.

I'm Just a big fan of portable apps :p

ooh great news :)

would that also be truly portable by having all the config files and databases save to the program folder instead of the user folder ?

Sorry for breaking things by doing it a different way, but hopefully more knowledge has come from this.

I'm Just a big fan of portable apps :p

Yes, I working on saving in the program folder for the portable version.

No problem, I've indeed learned something from this issue.

Is it just me or does this look a lot like zune music player?

It's just you. No j/k :) It borrows some ideas of Zune. But I try to keep it cleaner/simpler though (I hope I will succeed)

musiX 1.0 Build 292 has just been released here http://raphaelgodart.tumblr.com/downloads

Changelog:

- Finally fixed the FLAC seeking issues

- Fixed some minor problems caused by changing the audio component

- There is now also a portable version of musiX together with each release. The portable version saves collection info and settings in the location musiX is started from

• Like 2

Is it just me or does this look a lot like zune music player?

yes it does look very much like Zune, but Musix is smaller lighter and more simplistic.

The Zune install file is 277mb where as Musix is just over 4mb

It doesn't have a built in store, it doesn't rip or burn CD's, you don't have to sign in.... I just plays my Musix :)

yes it does look very much like Zune, but Musix is smaller lighter and more simplistic.

The Zune install file is 277mb where as Musix is just over 4mb

It doesn't have a built in store, it doesn't rip or burn CD's, you don't have to sign in.... I just plays my Musix :)

Well said! :) And musiX will never have as many features as Zune for these reasons:

- I'm only a 1 man show :)

- I'm targetting an audience who just wants to listen to music (no videos, no pictures), with a simple player, which offers just enough to do that

I would like to add support for last.fm and automatic fetching of album art in the future. So these things are coming, but first I need to rethink the user interface a bit. Because for large collections, musiX is a bit of a pain in the *** at the moment :)

found a couple reproducible errors.  Open player, seek to the end of the playing song, let it play to the end and go the the next song, repeat seven or eight times.  The player becomes unresponsive and takes forever to switch to the next song in the list.

Well after a couple of hour listening to music playing around with build 292, testing all it's features, it's been working almost 100%

The only small problem i have had so far is with the preferred embedded album art, all my music has embedded art, but Musix sometimes shows other artwork, even though I have the setting set to preferred embedded

As for the portable version, it still creates a Musix and Rapha?l_Godart folders in the user folder.

So when I moved the extracted Musix folder to a different location on the hard drive, all the settings and music library was gone and needed to be setup again.

found a couple reproducible errors.  Open player, seek to the end of the playing song, let it play to the end and go the the next song, repeat seven or eight times.  The player becomes unresponsive and takes forever to switch to the next song in the list.

OMG, that was a stupid one. It's fixed and will be in the next build. Thanks for reporting!

Are you able to add support for Zune Playlist (.zpl) files? 

You want to be able to save or load Zune playlists? Or both?

Do you still use Zune?

Just wondering if something like this would be the better option in the long run. http://www.tothepc.com/archives/convert-zune-playlist-zpl-to-m3u-pls-format/

Well after a couple of hour listening to music playing around with build 292, testing all it's features, it's been working almost 100%

The only small problem i have had so far is with the preferred embedded album art, all my music has embedded art, but Musix sometimes shows other artwork, even though I have the setting set to preferred embedded

As for the portable version, it still creates a Musix and Rapha?l_Godart folders in the user folder.

So when I moved the extracted Musix folder to a different location on the hard drive, all the settings and music library was gone and needed to be setup again.

Cover art issue: does it happen randomly or always with the same files?

As for creating a musiX folder in the user folder: indeed, I forgot that the logger has its own settings. I'll have to make it log in the same directory as the musiX executable for the portable version. The Raphael_Godart folder I'm not sure yet, but I'll look into it.

What do you mean by "  music library was gone"? The settings could indeed be gone, but I'm expecting the library to stay, as it is saved in the same folder as the exe.

I think iTune library support would be a better investment of time personally.