Thanks!

musiX doesn't take the "Disc" tag into account yet. These track probably have the same album name but a different disc number. MusiX doesn't understand that and just puts all these track under the same album header. Could you verify in Itunes is the disc tags for these albums have values?

I've been meaning to add disc tag support, but forgot about it. I'll plan it for the next build.

They do have disc tags :) 

Thanks once again! Looking forward to the next build with excitement.

Great program! Thank you for coding it.

Now I've just begun using my Windows 8 PC and right away took musiX to heart. Now I'm in the situation that all tracks that I have taken out directly from my iTunes library which appear correctly as being on seperate albums in iTunes doesn't appear as being on the second album for example within musiX.

For instance I have an album from Miss Kittin that has is purchased in iTunes but has tracknames like "2-02 Cosmic Love Radiation.m4a" and so forth. This track comes right after the 2nd track on the first album.

How can this be done better? Is there a way around it while still keeping my iTunes installation as is?

Edit:

I think I have got it all wrong. The track mentioned comes before the actual second track on the first album. I've seen similar behaviour within the Music application on Windows 8. Sorry about the confusion and poor explanation on my part.

Disc and disc count support was just added:

JZMlAbM.png

• Like 2

Scrolling through the collection list isn't very smooth. You are working on different views, right? Because having to scroll through every song to reach the next album kinda sucks, especially when it's an 8 disc compilation, with 20 tracks per disc. It also seems to make the graphic eq  spectrum analyzer? struggle even more while scrolling.

Is the expanding scrollbar worth it? I mean, once you have your mouse over it for it to expand, you've already nailed it, so whats the point of it jerking over to the left and taking the song list with it? Looks like a glitch rather than a feature.

Being able to use the scroll wheel while hovering over the volume slider would be nice, and maybe for the track postion too.

Gapless playback?

I cant skip back and forth through a track if it's a .flac file

Scrolling through the collection list isn't very smooth. You are working on different views, right? Because having to scroll through every song to reach the next album kinda sucks, especially when it's an 8 disc compilation, with 20 tracks per disc. It also seems to make the graphic eq  spectrum analyzer? struggle even more while scrolling.

Is the expanding scrollbar worth it? I mean, once you have your mouse over it for it to expand, you've already nailed it, so whats the point of it jerking over to the left and taking the song list with it? Looks like a glitch rather than a feature.

Being able to use the scroll wheel while hovering over the volume slider would be nice, and maybe for the track postion too.

Gapless playback?

I cant skip back and forth through a track if it's a .flac file

Scrolling through collection is slow: that's correct. The wpf listbox isn't the greatest at scrolling. Unfortunately I discovered that only after implementation. To make it faster, I'll have to look for another component. So that's for later. Different views are planned, as soon as I get the basics right.

Expanding scrollbar: agreed. I was never sure of that one to be honest... It'll be static in the next build.

Scroll on volume and progress: added to TFS tasks, nice idea, no ETA yet.

Gapless playback: added to my TFS tasks, no ETA yet.

Flac skipping: that's a known issue (described also in the Information -> Help section in musiX). The flac component I'm using crashes the application when seeking, so I've disabled it. I've been in contact with the developer of the component and he's creating a new improved one. Until it's ready, flac seeking is disabled. Also important to know: there are more mature (read: non-free as in liberty AND in beer) .NET audio components out there than the ones I'm using, but I'm trying to make a nice audio player with free and open source components for .NET and no license costs.

Awesome sauce :)

I'll wait for the next release or two, before trying to poke any more holes in it :laugh:

• Like 1

I have to correct myself, as I think I have insulted Microsoft :). The wpf listbox performs fine as long as you don't do crazy stuff with it :) It seems the coverpictures slow down scrolling a lot in musiX (I should have known it was my fault :)). I've been able to improve that for the next build.

I dont use windows at all let alone windows 8 but this is one of the first threads i check on a daily basis

the speed you are updating is amazing and the program looks amazing

I actually want to go out and buy windows 8 just to use your app

keep up the great work

Not sure if musiX is worth that much that you should get Windows 8 :) but thanks a lot, that's a nice compliment! :)

Not sure if musiX is worth that much that you should get Windows 8 :) but thanks a lot, that's a nice compliment! :)

I've tried it now and let me answer that for you: yes it is.  :rofl:

I'm not sure how to describe this in any coherent fashion, but here goes: I have 3 80's compilations with 3 CD's each and I decided to do a search for just "80's" in the search field - results pop up - but the way musiX played the tracks was somewhat odd. It would jump from the first listed track to somewhere longer down the list in no apparent order.

I'm wondering that the Disc entry has something to say here? That what musiX is doing is not playing back to back from the top but instead taking the next track that appear on the particular cd?

What I expected to happen was that when the first track was finished playing that it would just take the next track listed.

I haven't tried creating a playlist just yet but I think that'll solve my problem.

Also - I can't get any album artwork for my music. Not sure what is going on.

I'm not sure how to describe this in any coherent fashion, but here goes: I have 3 80's compilations with 3 CD's each and I decided to do a search for just "80's" in the search field - results pop up - but the way musiX played the tracks was somewhat odd. It would jump from the first listed track to somewhere longer down the list in no apparent order.

I'm wondering that the Disc entry has something to say here? That what musiX is doing is not playing back to back from the top but instead taking the next track that appear on the particular cd?

What I expected to happen was that when the first track was finished playing that it would just take the next track listed.

I haven't tried creating a playlist just yet but I think that'll solve my problem.

Also - I can't get any album artwork for my music. Not sure what is going on.

The first issue could be caused by the disc tag which isn't used. Please try build 241. I've just released it here

How is your album artwork organized? Currently musiX only supports artwork which has these names (I have to improve this, or make it customizable): cover.jpg, front.jpg, folder.jpg, cover.png, front.png, folder.png.

Build 241 is available here

This is the changelog:

- Switching between themes doesn't require a restart anymore
- Tag changes outside musiX are now detected and applied to the collection
- The spectrum peaks are now more snappy
- The playlist headers now reflect the selected sort mode
- Added "disc" and "disc count" tag support
- Added new "Mixed" theme
- Fine-tuned the themes
- Added artist info on the playlist if the album artist is different than the track artist

Edit: ok this is weird. The second part of my post was supposed to be a separate post but Neowin keeps pasting it inside my last reply...

Sorry I haven't replied back - but the reason is that I'm no longer in the possession of a Windows PC. I never got to try the release that you posted.

Sorry I haven't replied back - but the reason is that I'm no longer in the possession of a Windows PC. I never got to try the release that you posted.

No worries. Glad to have had you on board for a little while :) I've been quiet myself (compared to before at least). I've just got back from a business trip of 1 week. Development is still ongoing. Since the last build things have been improved only under the hood (has to happen also :)) but I'm preparing to implement new stuff.

Hey Raphael!, how's thing coming along?

There's nothing worth releasing yet (day job and private life have been consuming a lot of my time lately). But the project is still actively being worked on (everyday). What has happened since the last preview:

- a lot of cleanup and rework under the hood (internal communication was getting messy, it was time to rework some things)

- fixed bugs

- added multi-select of songs and multi-song drag and drop to playlists. Multi-select will now allow me to add bulk tagging, probably this week.

• Like 1

Here's a teaser of the drag-multiple-songs-at-once. It's a basic feature which should have been there from the beginning, but was very hard to implement due to the strange way WPF handles selection/deselection of items in the listbox. I finally got it right and here is how it looks like at the moment:

• Like 1

I seem to be getting this each time I open the program. I have tried installing the latest version again but it still happens :(

post-161662-0-34432400-1402954987.png

You seem to be infected with a variant of the Norton virus. You should take steps to remove it immediately. :shifty:

• Like 6

I seem to be getting this each time I open the program. I have tried installing the latest version again but it still happens :(

attachicon.gifohnoes.png

You seem to be infected with a variant of the Norton virus. You should take steps to remove it immediately. :shifty:

I'm afraid so. I wonder on what base the Norton heuristic detection defines a treat (even the xml is marked!). Conclusion: false positive, and there is nothing I can do about it :(

attachicon.gifohnoes.png

Doesn't norton have an exclusion list? (most av programs do), add the musix directory to it :)

Just finished adding bulk-tagging. Here's a demo:

Changes which will be applied are highlighted in the accent color.

Doesn't norton have an exclusion list? (most av programs do), add the musix directory to it :)

Didn't even think of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi everyone. Long time no news. I'm still improving things under the hood and here is a teaser of what I'm also working on:

eft3z19.png

• Like 3

Hi everyone!

To keep you updated on development progress. I've been struggling a long time with file associations (I spent more time doing research on the net than actual coding, and I hate when I can't code :)). Things are working well now. MusiX appears in the "Open with" list and you can associate musiX with mp3, wma, flac, ogg and m4a so when double-clicking they open in musiX.

The fancy dialog in my last post doesn't exist anymore though. Due to UAC I had to follow Microsoft's recommendations and let Windows handle the associations by itself when the user selects to use musiX as a default program. And that's actually the only good way to do it.

Stay tuned. I'm now starting to work on notifications when a new song starts playing. And after that, I'd like to release a build.