xbox one microsoft dashboard update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
179 replies to this topic

#16 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:39

Obviously its not a waste of time for them. I doubt they did it that way jsut to anger you.

Its free access to future updates, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Indeed.

Got my invite, but I sure hope I am elected as part of the program. I have been a Live member for 11 years, so please throw me a bone :)

#17 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:38

Is this March update the one that is rumoured to give developers an updated SDK that has been said to help them out automatically on how they use esram and which 1 developer has come forward and said they will easily hit 1080p with the new SDK?

It could be but we don't know for sure yet, I expect some new SDK for the Xbox One to come out at build at least.

#18 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 22 February 2014 - 14:54

What in the world has gotten into you?

X Factor audition? :laugh:

To remind you of the past beta programs on the 360. That program you had to first sign up for and then you would be selected at some point. Not everyone that signed up got in immediately. Same thing here, the only difference is that you put in a code and join the pool of testers.

Exactly, what was wrong with that sign up process? Why is it multi-stage selection now? They could be sending codes to people who have no interest, so completely missing their target user altogether.

No need to remind me, I know exactly how they worked, which is why it's bewildering they're screwing with something that wasn't broken. Especially for features they perfected 5 years ago!

They've already made a blog post on what will be included. The news article on the front page had all the relevant links.

OP updated.

#19 BoDEAN

BoDEAN

REDHead

• Phone: Iphone

Posted 22 February 2014 - 15:51

I wonder if they are done sending out codes...

#20 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 22 February 2014 - 16:36

Exactly, what was wrong with that sign up process? Why is it multi-stage selection now? They could be sending codes to people who have no interest, so completely missing their target user altogether.

No need to remind me, I know exactly how they worked, which is why it's bewildering they're screwing with something that wasn't broken. Especially for features they perfected 5 years ago!

Maybe I'm missing a piece of the process you had to go through. You were sent a code that you then had to register. Registering that code told MS that you are interested in the beta. That means you are now part of the pool of users that will want to take part in this stuff in the future. They will select testers as they need them out of that pool. Compare that to the 360 method: You went to a website and signed up, which told MS that you wanted to do beta testing. They would then select people from that pool to participate when a beta came up.

I think the reason they changed it from going to a website to just sending X1 users a code is that they could get more willing testers this way. Since most gamers don't follow these gaming sites/forums/blogs like we do, they probably missed many of the announced betas on the 360. Here, everyone will know its going on becuase they will be contacted by MS with a code.

#21 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 22 February 2014 - 20:45

Maybe I'm missing a piece of the process you had to go through. You were sent a code that you then had to register. Registering that code told MS that you are interested in the beta. That means you are now part of the pool of users that will want to take part in this stuff in the future. They will select testers as they need them out of that pool. Compare that to the 360 method: You went to a website and signed up, which told MS that you wanted to do beta testing. They would then select people from that pool to participate when a beta came up.

I think the reason they changed it from going to a website to just sending X1 users a code is that they could get more willing testers this way. Since most gamers don't follow these gaming sites/forums/blogs like we do, they probably missed many of the announced betas on the 360. Here, everyone will know its going on becuase they will be contacted by MS with a code.

I just think it's redundant and lacking in effiency. Not trying to make a big deal out of it, just giving my opinion.

Hope they go back to the old sign up process next time.

#22 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 22 February 2014 - 20:47

I just think it's redundant and lacking in effiency. Not trying to make a big deal out of it, just giving my opinion.

Hope they go back to the old sign up process next time.

Me too.

#23 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 February 2014 - 21:08

Again, its no different then the old process (code vs website), so I'm not sure what you guys are upset about, but if it feels diffrent to you, then that is all that matters.

#24 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 22 February 2014 - 21:17

Again, its no different then the old process (code vs website), so I'm not sure what you guys are upset about, but if it feels diffrent to you, then that is all that matters.

It's slightly different. If people wanted in on the beta, they registered and maybe they got in. Now invites are being sent randomly and I am sure some people won't be interested. The old method they knew 100% of the people that signed up were going to be interested in doing the beta

#25 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 February 2014 - 21:21

It's slightly different. If people wanted in on the beta, they registered and maybe they got in. Now invites are being sent randomly and I am sure some people won't be interested. The old method they knew 100% of the people that signed up were going to be interested in doing the beta

Andy pointed out that you had to submit the code in order to accept being part of the beta. Then you would be selected at some point. Getting the invite does not mean you are in the beta, so its basically just like getting an email saying you could be in the beta if you follow a link in it. Anyone not interested ignores the message.

I understand a little more now though. The issue is that they dont like the random nature of the invite process. Fair enough.

#26 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 22 February 2014 - 21:25

Wrong.

After I signed up, I got a message that says 'You are in. Check for the beta update in a few days.' ... something like that... Then on Xbox 360, I turned it on and got the message. I gave Xbox my console serial number in order to receive the update. 

#27 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 February 2014 - 21:35

Wrong.

After I signed up, I got a message that says 'You are in. Check for the beta update in a few days.' ... something like that... Then on Xbox 360, I turned it on and got the message. I gave Xbox my console serial number in order to receive the update.

Right, you signed up and then you were selected to be part of the beta. Not everyone got immediate access to the beta. I guess it was MS' way of slowly growing the number of users over a period of time.

Here, your submitting a code and then MS selects you to be in the beta at some point.

Your certainly right that before we had to give them a bunch of details such as our console serial numbers. I guess now they dont need to gather that info from us, so they can just push out a general message to X1 users to see who wants to join.

If you prefer the old way, that's fine, I just didnt think it was a big deal.

#28 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:32

The big difference here is that, from the screenshot posted before, this doesn't sound like it's just for the March update but also for future ones until you decide to leave it. This could be why the process has changed a bit this time around.

#29 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:16

no invite on my X1, and while glad folks here seem to like it, not sure what the point is? I mean is this like with AMD now where they have beta drivers for months before actually releasing an official driver...I don't really get the point. Get the community involved in beta testing features? OK, maybe that's the idea, but not something i'm keen on.

#30 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 February 2014 - 16:53

Major Neilson posted up a new video on his blog today that shows the changes to party chat and friends list.

http://majornelson.c...e-march-update/