Xbox One Update: March 2014

130pm CST seems like off peek to me on a weekday

Yeah you'd think so :laugh:

MN made it sound like it'd largely get to you during nighttime but who knows.  If they're using Azure to distribute updates then 1:30pm (and all other business hours) would be peak traffic time.

Yeah im betting on a E3 update

I agree

Edit: Those passionate about this industry (and Techies as well), should take a bow.  I honestly think the Xbox One is going to be a complete beast now.  But I was weary, because Microsoft can't seem to get their heads out of their rear.  But the Roar of the masses (and a punch to the gut) has given them a wake up call.  I think from hear on out the Xbox One is going to be amazing....

• Like 2

Got the update this morning. Live tv works perfectly now, haven't really noticed many more changes so far. One this I wish they'd add, is custom Kinect commands, so I could record my own Xbox On type command due to how hit & miss it is

Wish their was a way to force the update..  Also can someone post the new version number it shows in your console settings so we can see if we got the update or not? 

Anyone know how big this was?  2-3GB?  As for the version number, I think there's a area on xbox.com/support that lists the different updates and the version numbers to date but I don't know it off the top of my head.

There you go,  anyways' looking at the version number it's easy to tell, if you go past the build number you'll notice the part that says xb_rel_1403.     Xbox release 14/03,  so March 2014.    As long as you know what month you're looking for it should be easy to figure out the version you have, unless that isn't shown in the XB1's info?

That's right... 

_1403 which means March 2014

and other numbers after that build date, it is a version number for either minor or major updates.

and the OS version before the build date.. it is for OS updates... not dashboard.

For example:

6.2.10698.0 = OS updates

(xb_rel_1403.140301-2200) fre = dashboard/apps updates

Not sure what fre stands for.

But I could be wrong ... That was my guess.

Loving the update. Also love how it did it all for me, no "We need to apply an update, please wait 283839 hours for it to download and update" I just turned my box on and it was done.

That's right... 

_1403 which means March 2014

and other numbers after that build date, it is a version number for either minor or major updates.

and the OS version before the build date.. it is for OS updates... not dashboard.

For example:

6.2.10698.0 = OS updates

(xb_rel_1403.140301-2200) fre = dashboard/apps updates

Not sure what fre stands for.

But I could be wrong ... That was my guess.

fre is also shown on Windows updates/build strings as well.  The 6.2.x = kernel/OS updates.  Pretty sure it's just the compilation. 

Edit: Quick google search turned up:

chk - this is a checked build used for debugging purposes by developers.

fre - Free Build FRE usually the normal build used on non checked versions of Windows

fre is also shown on Windows updates/build strings as well.  The 6.2.x = kernel/OS updates.  Pretty sure it's just the compilation. 

Edit: Quick google search turned up:

Thanks. That's what I figured.

Alright, well I got the update a little while ago and I thought I would comment on a few smaller changes that have not been directly mentioned. Of course things like the new friends layout are great changes. Its now much quicker to find out who is online and in general get things done in that section.

Here are a couple changes I have noticed so far:

1. Under the "Games & apps" section, the list of games actually shows the file size on each tile automatically. You dont have to hover over a tile and click the menu button to get that info.

2. The Upload app has had a couple UI changes made (maybe these were there with the previous update, but I dont remember them). There are now a couple more sections to choose from on the home page. Under 'My Clips' there are now more sorting options to choose from. Along with sorting by date, you can look at just clips have been uploaded, just saved, or unsaved. I still want an option to view the list of clips by game title, but I like these options.

Then there are a handful of changes made within the 'Settings' section:

1. Under 'Kinect', there is now an option to turn off hand gestures while playing a video. I would assume this would apply to any app, but that is a nice option. Also, the troubleshooting section to the right has an option for 'Kinect doesn't hear me'. I feel like I have seen a similar option before, but it was not in the same place, so I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if the tutorial section under that was the same before.

2. Under 'Preferences', the option that use to read 'Allow Game DVR' now reads 'Allow broadcasts and Game DVR uploads'

3. Under 'TV & OneGuide Settings', a new option was added to the 'Devices' section that make it easy to remove any device you added to be managed through the X1. It was not nearly that clear before how you would remove or change devices you had added. A new option was also added to the 'Troubleshooting' section to manually add a remote code for any device added (this may have been there previously, but its another one that I dont remember seeing).

4. Under 'Display & Sound', they made a minor UI change to switch the places of the digital audio and video fidelity sections. They also added 'Bitstream out' as an option to both the HDMI and Optical connections and of course a section to choose which bitsreaming method prefered. Under those options is a new note that says that you should reclibrate Kinect after making any audio changes using the 'Kinect doesn't hear me' troubleshooting option I mentioned above.

5. Under 'Power & Startup', the 'Resume games quickly' option no longer has the beta tag and I believe it is now checked on by default.

I also think they have changed the UI for avatar management, but I haven't checked that since launch, so I'm not sure.

Alright, well I got the update a little while ago and I thought I would comment on a few smaller changes that have not been directly mentioned. Of course things like the new friends layout are great changes. Its now much quicker to find out who is online and in general get things done in that section.

Here are a couple changes I have noticed so far:

1. Under the "Games & apps" section, the list of games actually shows the file size on each tile automatically. You dont have to hover over a tile and click the menu button to get that info.

2. The Upload app has had a couple UI changes made (maybe these were there with the previous update, but I dont remember them). There are now a couple more sections to choose from on the home page. Under 'My Clips' there are now more sorting options to choose from. Along with sorting by date, you can look at just clips have been uploaded, just saved, or unsaved. I still want an option to view the list of clips by game title, but I like these options.

Then there are a handful of changes made within the 'Settings' section:

1. Under 'Kinect', there is now an option to turn off hand gestures while playing a video. I would assume this would apply to any app, but that is a nice option. Also, the troubleshooting section to the right has an option for 'Kinect doesn't hear me'. I feel like I have seen a similar option before, but it was not in the same place, so I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if the tutorial section under that was the same before.

2. Under 'Preferences', the option that use to read 'Allow Game DVR' now reads 'Allow broadcasts and Game DVR uploads'

3. Under 'TV & OneGuide Settings', a new option was added to the 'Devices' section that make it easy to remove any device you added to be managed through the X1. It was not nearly that clear before how you would remove or change devices you had added. A new option was also added to the 'Troubleshooting' section to manually add a remote code for any device added (this may have been there previously, but its another one that I dont remember seeing).

4. Under 'Display & Sound', they made a minor UI change to switch the places of the digital audio and video fidelity sections. They also added 'Bitstream out' as an option to both the HDMI and Optical connections and of course a section to choose which bitsreaming method prefered. Under those options is a new note that says that you should reclibrate Kinect after making any audio changes using the 'Kinect doesn't hear me' troubleshooting option I mentioned above.

5. Under 'Power & Startup', the 'Resume games quickly' option no longer has the beta tag and I believe it is now checked on by default.

I also think they have changed the UI for avatar management, but I haven't checked that since launch, so I'm not sure.

Maybe I am missing it, but do you know where you can delete game saves? For example, I downloaded some Project Spark maps. How do I go into memory management and delete those maps? Or delete game saves? I only see the ability to delete the entire game.

Maybe I am missing it, but do you know where you can delete game saves? For example, I downloaded some Project Spark maps. How do I go into memory management and delete those maps? Or delete game saves? I only see the ability to delete the entire game.

How do I delete saves that I no longer need?

You can manage your data for individual games through My games & apps on your Home screen.

1. From the Home screen, select My games & apps.
  2. Highlight the game, press the Menu button on your controller, and then select Manage game.
  3. Scroll to the right, highlight the saved data for your gamertag under Saved Data, and then press A on your controller.
  4. You will be prompted to confirm deletion of this game save data:
    • Delete from console will remove the local copy of this save. You can retrieve it from the cloud the next time you play.
    • Delete everywhere will remove your saved data from this console, the cloud and all other consoles you play on.
    • Cancel will leave your data intact.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/games/manage-cloud-saves

• Like 2

Makes me wonder how big the next update will be compared to this one because if you look at the list it's pretty massive.  I expect the next update to add developer options, that feature that they talked about that will allow a developer to unlock their retail unit and make it a dev unit.  I'm betting we hear about that at BUILD and then the update after will allow for it.  Unless they want to hold off and let the ID@Xbox program go for longer.

Makes me wonder how big the next update will be compared to this one because if you look at the list it's pretty massive.  I expect the next update to add developer options, that feature that they talked about that will allow a developer to unlock their retail unit and make it a dev unit.  I'm betting we hear about that at BUILD and then the update after will allow for it.  Unless they want to hold off and let the ID@Xbox program go for longer.

I hope so. I would love to have a dev unit.

Got the update.. 2 things..  First off where can I find the option to custom set how the volume works with Kinect? I want to set my sound to go up by 5 and not 2-3 like default.. They said that was added.

Also is it just me or did the battery meter that was just added in the February update go away? I am not seeing it by the clock anymore? 

Got the update.. 2 things..  First off where can I find the option to custom set how the volume works with Kinect? I want to set my sound to go up by 5 and not 2-3 like default.. They said that was added.

Also is it just me or did the battery meter that was just added in the February update go away? I am not seeing it by the clock anymore? 

While you are on the homescreen... hit the xbox button on the controller...  the battery level is near the clock in lower right hand corner on that screen.

Does anyone elses One now look blurry after this update??? It is driving me nuts, and I know I am not crazy as my wife said she noticed it as well. I simply cannot fix it no matter what settings I change either. Someone please tell me this is a known issue and there is a fix for it??

Does anyone elses One now look blurry after this update??? It is driving me nuts, and I know I am not crazy as my wife said she noticed it as well. I simply cannot fix it no matter what settings I change either. Someone please tell me this is a known issue and there is a fix for it??

What is blurry? I can test it for you... 

What is blurry? I can test it for you... 

The text on everything. It is like the anti aliasing or sharpness is not doing something it should be. Almost like a ghosting effect is the best way to describe it. A fuzzyness to the text. Anything that is white, which is the text and outlines of the boxes, just looks fuzzy/blurry. I am checking it out inbetween commercials on a show me and my wife are watching, I am going to restart to see if that helps. I did try to change the display settings to see if that "kicked" it back. Did not.

EDIT - Restarting totally fixed it, Phew. That was weird. Freaked me out for a second. Thanks for offering to help. (Y)