Finally bought a Wii U

One odd thing I noticed is that when a disc in in the drive and the Wii U is off it has a white LED lit up. I don't know the point of having another light on the front to tell you there is a disc in the system when it is off :s

This is a brilliant idea actually for slot-loading devices. Its very handy to instantly know if you left a game in there, or moreso if theres a game in there before you shove another in on top of it.

I fixed at least 20 original Wii units where someones kid shoved a 2nd disc in the slot, instantly realizing they screwed up and proceeding to throw a tantrum for hours until it got fixed. Sometimes the eject button had broke and was clear unintentional, sometimes the lens had failed so there didn't look to be a disc in there, sometimes they were just too impatient to wait for it to turn on and hit eject. The PS3 also has this disc LED feature. It makes a lot of sense for slot-loading devices. The 360 had a tray so it wasn't needed. Not sure about the Xbone or PS4.

That said, I'm not 4 years old and impatient. I know how things work. Nintendo should give me an option to enable/disable it via software. PS3's isn't on all the time.

You're assuming people look at the light and knows what it means. it's just a tiny dot light there's no indication what it actually means, so you'll find yourself fixing just as many units. 

You're assuming people look at the light and knows what it means. it's just a tiny dot light there's no indication what it actually means, so you'll find yourself fixing just as many units. 

well they shoiuld know what it means   either  by the supplied  materiel that comes with the console  in the box or the fact that when they had no disc  in there the light did not show up 

people don't read manuals and people don't pay attention to such things. people in general are idiots and the light has no obvious meaning. 

people don't read manuals and people don't pay attention to such things. people in general are idiots and the light has no obvious meaning. 

so your telling me people cant read this  

post-74594-0-35288200-1395611526.jpg

Well, I suppose that explanation makes sense. I don't have kids and I usually find that slot drives are pretty sensitive to inserting a new disc. If you insert it 1-2 cms and it doesn't take the disc from you from that distance then you can assume there is a disc in there and then press eject.

I just don't like unnecessary lights on things (or are denied the option to turn them off). Especially in a room you are trying to make as dark as possible to view a screen.

Hawk, i agree with you that lights can be confusing if there's no overt explanation, but come on, people are not stupid...not all of them. Don't be so negative. This red light is a good idea, it's very handy to know if you left a disc in the drive, i do that often and it's not generally good. Of course there was also the time i wondered why Ryse didn't work. After putting it in the PS4. Let me revise my stance on people being stupid, at least in my case...

there was also the time i wondered why Ryse didn't work. After putting it in the PS4. Let me revise my stance on people being stupid, at least in my case...

LoL. Were you drinking or partaking of some illicit substance on that particular occasion?  :laugh:

• Like 1

LoL. Were you drinking or partaking of some illicit substance on that particular occasion?  :laugh:

Certain barleys, hops, and malts were definitely implicated in this affair!

I have to say the battery in the gamepad is smaller than I thought it would be. It looks like there is plenty of room in there for a larger battery, I wonder why they left so much space around it.

cW5iYCJ.jpg

Lithium batteries are expensive, that's why. Also heavy. 

If expense was the concern then it is baffling why they made this gamepad. When it launches here in Australia the estimated retail price is $199

As far as weight goes you can buy a larger battery and apparently it only add 30grams

Maybe so they can sell you the bigger battery pack later...or maybe they started to sell the bigger battery as an honest addressing of a genuine issue brought up by users...either way i think many have said battery life on the gamepad is not that great.

Maybe so they can sell you the bigger battery pack later...or maybe they started to sell the bigger battery as an honest addressing of a genuine issue brought up by users...either way i think many have said battery life on the gamepad is not that great.

Given they've left a lot of room around the battery and made the gamepad battery user replaceable, I would wager the former.

Nope. And I doubt that I would. I have easy access to an  outlet when I sit so I can easily plug in the gamepad if the battery starts to go dead.  :jump:

• Like 1

Hahaha yeah that's better, save the money. Besides, unless you really binge on the gaming i'm sure the battery life is sufficient - unless it's under an hour, in which case it would be annoying :D

Hahaha yeah that's better, save the money. Besides, unless you really binge on the gaming i'm sure the battery life is sufficient - unless it's under an hour, in which case it would be annoying :D

It is about 4 hours give or take. I have had it last as little as 3.

It is about 4 hours give or take. I have had it last as little as 3.

That sounds like the default screen brightness setting. While i haven't ran mine out completely, with the brightness a bit lower(default is too bright imo) it takes 1.5 hours for one bar to disappear from the battery meter. So i'd probably get about 6 hours out of mine, more if i'd turn on power saving mode and dropped brightness lower still.

I get about 5 hours from mine on moderate brightness. It doesn't take too long to charge though, so it's not a big deal. After 5 hours I should probably be taking a break anyway!

That sounds like the default screen brightness setting. While i haven't ran mine out completely, with the brightness a bit lower(default is too bright imo) it takes 1.5 hours for one bar to disappear from the battery meter. So i'd probably get about 6 hours out of mine, more if i'd turn on power saving mode and dropped brightness lower still.

I definitely just left it on the defaults so that sounds right.

Reason I left it on the defaults is I am in the same boat as compl3x, I can charge my GamePad easily while still playing it, so I never touched any settings to extend the battery life.

It perhaps would be different if my GamePad allowed me to play upstairs for example, however it does not, so I am pretty much stuck to playing downstairs in my home. Which if I am downstairs, I am then going to be in my TV room where I can charge it.

I really wish it reached upstairs, but the only way to make it so it does is to set up my WiiU on top of one of my Bookshelf Speakers instead of my entertainment center, and my wife is not a fan of that whatsoever.

If I was a bachelor I would hook it up wherever I needed to to make sure it reached upstairs.

Then again if I was a bachelor I would probably not own a home, so it would be a moot point hopefully. But I digress.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I definitely just left it on the defaults so that sounds right.

Reason I left it on the defaults is I am in the same boat as compl3x, I can charge my GamePad easily while still playing it, so I never touched any settings to extend the battery life.

It perhaps would be different if my GamePad allowed me to play upstairs for example, however it does not, so I am pretty much stuck to playing downstairs in my home. Which if I am downstairs, I am then going to be in my TV room where I can charge it.

I really wish it reached upstairs, but the only way to make it so it does is to set up my WiiU on top of one of my Bookshelf Speakers instead of my entertainment center, and my wife is not a fan of that whatsoever.

If I was a bachelor I would hook it up wherever I needed to to make sure it reached upstairs.

Then again if I was a bachelor I would probably not own a home, so it would be a moot point hopefully. But I digress.  :laugh:

I can get mine to work upstairs without really positioning the console in any special way, but it's mostly limited to the room(s) directly above where the console is. I guess maybe i have a bit less interference in the place i live.