Photo

Why did Opera become Chrome?

opera

67 replies to this topic

#1 STNN

STNN

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:25

I so hate Opera for using chrome engine for their browser. Goddamn do i hate the new password management system, the bookmark system and everything about it. Nice way to ruin something so original and imitate crappiness. No offense to chrome users but i was never fan of it and never will. Presto engine had me since the day i first used it.

The only reason i am using it now is because i am so used to Opera, have like hundreds of bookmarks and so much data stored in it and for nostalgia of it. I am gonna write my own browser based on internet explorer and call it stnowser, at least i won't claim originality which opera so proudly claim now. It is basically chrome remodeled.

PS: You won't understand my frustration if you haven't been a fan of opera, i used it since version 8 and that was eternity ago and it truly was unique back then.

PS2: If anyone know of another awesome browser that isn't chrome/firefox, fire away.

#2 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:36

I so hate Opera for using chrome engine for their browser. Goddamn do i hate the new password management system, the bookmark system and everything about it. Nice way to ruin something so original and imitate crappiness. No offense to chrome users but i was never fan of it and never will. Presto engine had me since the day i first used it.

The only reason i am using it now is because i am so used to Opera, have like hundreds of bookmarks and so much data stored in it and for nostalgia of it. I am gonna write my own browser based on internet explorer and call it stnowser, at least i won't claim originality which opera so proudly claim now. It is basically chrome remodeled.

PS: You won't understand my frustration if you haven't been a fan of opera, i used it since version 8 and that was eternity ago and it truly was unique back then.

PS2: If anyone know of another awesome browser that isn't chrome/firefox, fire away.

Ha well there's always IE :p

#3 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:39

It's slowly transitioning to what it used to be. Using another engine is easier than just spending loads of cash for RnD.

#4 CJ33

CJ33

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:39

i tried to get myself to like opera, but never could. some webpages wouldnt load/display correctly, had to trick gmail into not loading the not showing the HTML view, annoying mouse scrolling. It was a mess

#5 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:45

I think I've read that they felt it more valuable getting their people to contribute to the open-source Blink platform than for them to keep on developing Presto.

I always found pages never looked quite right with Presto so I'm happy about the switch. 

#6 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:47

i tried to get myself to like opera, but never could. some webpages wouldnt load/display correctly, had to trick gmail into not loading the not showing the HTML view, annoying mouse scrolling. It was a mess

That changed when they switch to chromium

#7 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:52

Presto had too many issues, so they opted for the easy way out and redo Opera based on Blink/Chromium. I probably won't try Opera again for another few years. If I want to use Chrome, I'll just use Chrome or better yet Chromium. :p

#8 OP STNN

STNN

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:53

Ha well there's always IE :p

I am seriously considering that, the new IE is not that bad...at least it is original  :D

Opera wasn't that famous with its presto engine but there was still a very loyal following, they ###### everyone of their fans by becoming something those fans despised, their forums are full of complaints and they mass deleted and banned a lot of people, not very good thing to do.

They should open source the presto engine and let someone else develop a browser based on it, i am sure it will be success.

#9 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:53

Welcome to a year ago. :p

#10 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

Posted 23 March 2014 - 20:56

anyone know of another awesome browser that isn't chrome/firefox, fire away.

There isn't one.

#11 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted 23 March 2014 - 21:01

Maxthon, but it's based on Webkit (not Blink... currently) but it can use IE's Trident too (dual engine browser). Other than that, nope.

#12 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 March 2014 - 21:05

Don't forget that Opera now contribute to the whole Chromium/Blink code, so anything they've done in Presto previously that worked great technically could be implemented by them into this new engine.

#13 DoctorD

DoctorD

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2014 - 21:08

Another reason for the switch.... Cash and probably boatloads of it.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 23 March 2014 - 21:08

While I liked the old presto engine and it was a great engine. 

remember NONE of the great opera features where part of the engine, but the browser built around the engine. most of the good old features are coming back but it takes time to recode it all.

#15 OP STNN

STNN

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2014 - 21:16

Maxthon, but it's based on Webkit (not Blink... currently) but it can use IE's Trident too (dual engine browser). Other than that, nope.

Does look nice, i'll give it a try. I am liking K-Meleon it is similar to Firefox but i don't hate firefox as much, it just doesn't have the features i am used to in (old) opera e.g notes, email manager/irc but it does have amazing add-ons so maybe i will end up with firefox after all or k meleon.

I only switched to opera 20 today because v12 is pretty much useless now and very buggy, i would probably have used it for eternity if it worked half as much as it was a year ago lol. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!