Giving iOS a try, email and vpn problems

Hey

Got an iPad Mini Retina, but im not finding some really basic functionality with iOS(im not sure if its hidden, or some apple is choosing not to include some really basic functionality, which would be very pathetic)

1.)  Gmail labels:  I've got my gmail filters set up to 'Skip the Inbox' and move mail to labels(imap folders).  iOS (but mail, and the gmail app) is only making a sound or notifying me(through badge icon or whatever) of any mail that goes anywhere but the Inbox.  I called apple, they have no idea and will be getting back to me, but that will take a week so i thought id ask here also.  This seems like functionality that is included in every free mail client that exists on android or desktop...

2.) VPN:  Why doesn't it reconnect when you wake the device.  On-demand VPN is another basic(and necessary feature) of vpn itself.  I dont see it anywhere in settings and its rather frustrating that theres no automation included with iOS. 

If anyone can help it would be appreciated, so far iOS is the seeming to be verrrry primitive for anything more than being a toy?

1.  If the email is skipping the Inbox, then there is an assumption made at some level that you do not want a notification about the email.  On iOS, if the email supports Push notifications, then you can select which folders you receive notifications for beyond the Inbox.  GMail does not support Push notifications through IMAP so you don't have that feature available.  Google's own GMail app for iOS doesn't seem to support what you are looking for either (although I'm sure they could implement it if they thought it was important enough).  I think you are fighting against people's assumption that if you don't want something in your "Inbox" then you do not want a notifications for it.  I suggest you change your rule so that it still hits your Inbox and then just archive the email after you have read it.  You can keep the auto-labeling...it just needs to hit your Inbox to generate a notifications unless you switch email providers to iCloud or an Exchange server that supports selecting the folders that you receive notifications for.

2.  Not sure how you can overcome that issue.  There doesn't appear to be an option to maintain the VPN connection indefinitely.  Your best bet here would be to wait until there is a Jailbreak available, I'm afraid.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated, so far iOS is the seeming to be verrrry primitive for anything more than being a toy?

Then don't use it...  If you'd like I can give you a mailing address you can send your useless toy to because I know a lot of people who would love to have it.

check these sources for VPN

http://www.derman.com/blogs/Setting-Up-iOS-OnDemand-VPN

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4550?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/featuredarticles/iPhoneConfigurationProfileRef/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010206

i don't get your email config, no offence but i don't get it. do you want full push banners and lock screen previews of ur mail but right now you're only getting badges or sounds? you can add banners/badges/sounds in the settings for notifications under mail. or is there something else you expected to happen or want to stop happening :)