Jeremy Clarkson 'begs forgiveness' over N-word footage

I quite like Clarkson. That's entirely irrelevant to this topic, but I was just surprised to see how many people don't seem to like him.

As for the issue, he didn't say the word which makes the whole discussion pointless.

Returning to the topic. Jeremy Clarkson used the one that black peope themselves don't use.

By your own definition, it's how the word is SAID?  He said "neurghrhrhh".  Sorry, I've never heard anyone called that - but you seem to understand fully what blacks do or don't say.  Quite prejudice of you really to suggest.

No, I'm not. But that word has a changed context depending on the ending. One is the original ending with "ER", that even black people do not use. The other is the one black people/rappers use. It's context is similair to "dude" or "man". "What's up nigga", "What's up, dude", "What's up, man". So why exactly are black uncomfortable with white people using the later definition? Well supposedly because of how close the two words sound and the prelevant of racism and racists that still use the first definition.

Now, can a white person say either of those words without any malice? Absolutely. For example, If I'm on public transportation and a white kid whose rapping along a song says Nigga, I'll probably side-eye him but think nothing of it. But if this same kid said "Nigger", I'd probably think "WTF".

Returning to the topic. Jeremy Clarkson used the one that black peope themselves don't use.

It's not two different words, it's the same word spelt two different ways.

And Clarkson didn't use the word either.

It's not two different words, it's the same word spelt two different ways.

And Clarkson didn't use the word either.

But it has different meanings, but fine. And yes he did use it. He admitted it as much. Denying that is pointless.

Now, will I stop watching Top Gear? No, because I don't think he is a racist.

Let me put it another way...

• He used a nursery rhyme, which originally contained the word n*gger.
  • He mumbled and obscured the offensive part for a number of reasons:
    • So as not to actually offend (obviously for a veteran TV presenter)
    • So as to mock the apparent racism that once used to be pervasive in such rhymes
    • So as to play upon the comedy persona of him being a grumpy, right-wing old man (he actually is not, and is a very will spoken and educated person when not playing the role)

So...

• He didn't say the word.
  • He didn't direct towards anyone.
  • He actually didn't offend anyone (this doesn't mean people cannot take offense),

THEN suddenly the self-rigteous brigade grab their pitchforks and it becomes "Jeremy Clarkson calls people n*ggers on TV"

So, if you even reference the word without saying it - it is as bad as being a slave-owner!  BAM!  Sorry but "nigga" is referencing the word - undeniably so...

• Like 3

But it has different meanings, but fine. And yes he did use it. He admitted it as much. Denying that is pointless.

Now, will I stop watching Top Gear? No, because I don't think he is a racist.

Have you watched the video?  He doesn't actually say the N word clearly, he mangles it in mumbling and your brain just fills it in.  The point is rather irrelevant though, as it was never transmmitted.  I'm kinda wondering how the Mirror even got hold of the cut takes...

Same as the Russel Brand "controversy". Someone is responsible for these things being made available.

The fact he has apologised for it is nothing more than him playing nice for the BBC so they can call it sorted.

Same as the Russel Brand "controversy". Someone is responsible for these things being made available.

The fact he has apologised for it is nothing more than him playing nice for the BBC so they can call it sorted.

I'm kind of reminded of when he got in trouble for calling Gordon Brown a "One eyed Scottish idiot", and then later apologised for calling him "one eyed". :p

What rappers are employed by the BBC, tax payer money, use the N word, again? None. So the comparision in invalid.

There can't be much left to play on Radio 1Xtra if the BBC are really trying to not be complicit.  S'ok when it sells records tho.  It think they call that "semantics".

• Like 1

I'm kind of reminded of when he got in trouble for calling Gordon Brown a "One eyed Scottish idiot", and then later apologised for calling him "one eyed"

Daily Mail ran a story from Jade Goodie's mother because she took offense to being called a "One-armed lesbian from a council estate".

The had 1 arm

She was a lesbian

She lived on a council estate

The fact this was never aired coupled with it not being directed at anyone (very important) makes this a non-issue really. What next, Nikelodeon teen actors being fired as the outakes are shown of them swearing profusely as they mess up their lines? Priorities people, no need to bring slave chat and everything else up, jeez.

Not arguing for or against Clarkson being a racist, only he knows his true feelings about other races, just arguing this specific example is causing one heck of a carnival of stupid.

I'll leave this here - http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=29555

is it a hurtful word? sure. there's lots of those in the world today. i love how people use it as a crutch to feel better about themselves and use it as an excuse to condemn other people. creates fake drama, right?

• Like 1

Are any black people offended by that video?

Moot point.  This isn't racism but...

You don't have to be part of the demographic targeted to find racism offensive.

I think the majority of people complaining either don't like Clarkson to begin with or haven't actually watched the video and jumped on the bandwagon.

Watch the video, he mumbles a word that sounds like it.

I'm shocked no one has put "gate" on the end of this fiasco yet. Probably because it would be n*****-gate.

• Like 4

The fact is, the version left on the cutting room floor was obviously conceived in the first place to poke fun at those who whine and cry (and more than likely read the DM) about stupid s***. It was then left on the cutting room floor for safety sake. 

Someone leaked it to cause sh**.

• Like 2

In this day and age, who seriously finds the word offensive anyway?
It's common slang, and used all around the world. Hell, black people use it every day, and was the 2nd word spoken in GTAV. I dont know anyone causing a fuss over that game. 
I dunno, this world seems to find the smallest things insulting to people these days... quite frankly, its just embarressing. 

I dont know anyone causing a fuss over that game.

Did you genuinely argue that you've heard no (so called) "controversy" around GTA 5?

Jeremy Clarkson is a complete mong. But in reality plenty of far more offensive crap than this goes on air every day. I thought he was a prat and I still think he's a prat, this hasn't changed my opinion of him one bit.

Did you genuinely argue that you've heard no (so called) "controversy" around GTA 5?

Not a peep here. 

Like I said, everyone uses it here, and it causes no offense to anyone. Thats why im surprised it still causes offense to people there...

Not a peep here. 

Like I said, everyone uses it here, and it causes no offense to anyone. Thats why im surprised it still causes offense to people there...

I'm not surprised people took offense, whether I agree or not.

But man, the more I read about Australia, the more I feel you guys just know how to chill the ###### out!