• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Jeremy Clarkson 'begs forgiveness' over N-word footage

Code Name: Lockdown    9,535

He didn't say the word.  Simple as that.

Unless "Curgh a nurgh burgh hurgh turgh" is suddenly offensive

• Like 1

LOC    1,170

Wait, the N word is in that nursery rhyme in the UK? I could have sworn here in the US that word should have been, uh...tiger?

MindTrickz    190

Oh you know how it goes in today's society. Something is only racist if a white man says it.

Yes, and lets completely forget that it was white men that enslaved black african men, and created that very word to derogate and disparage said black men. Yes indeed, let's forget all that, because white men are the true victims.

Phouchg    2,048

White men enslaved other white men long before they enslaved black men. Black men enslaved other black men long before they sold other black men to be enslaved by white men. In fact, they still do, by and large. And then there's all sorts of differently colored men that enslaved other men in between all that. But we'll have none of that, obviously, because it just might be inconvenient to know at best.

Stop banging the drums. None of that is going to help.

• Like 5

FloatingFatMan    21,013

Yes, and lets completely forget that it was white men that enslaved black african men, and created that very word to derogate and disparage said black men. Yes indeed, let's forget all that, because white men are the true victims.

Let us also completely forget that those same black African men employed slavery themselves, and actually sold rather a lot of their fellow black African men to the evil evil white European & American men.

Slavery has always happened throughout history. You don't hear people crapping on the Romans/Italians for once enslaving most of Europe, do you?

• Like 4

leesmithg    226

Clarkson is a public school boy Nazi.

He is brash and boring an as far as I am concerned very very very far right, near touching the B.N.P.

I want him sacked from the B.B.C. I pay for them to employ him.

If I stopped paying a t.v. licence I could spend a month in jail.

He calling someone a N****R gets him wanted publicity.

I don't watch his crappy shoes on Dave as I ma not interested in cars.

I have noticed in Britian over the past 40 years, that racism has increased an it's because of morons like Clarkson.

He is brash and boring an as far as I am concerned very very very far right, near touching the B.N.P.

I have noticed in Britian over the past 40 years, that racism has increased an it's because of morons like Clarkson.

Raa    1,604

If the video is accurate, I honestly can't see the issue here.

I'd be hard pressed to make the word out in the video, not to mention the fact it's not even aired!

Dotdot    322

Nobody. Clarkson literally owns the show. Without him, there is no Top Gear.

This is all just a witch hunt anyway.. Seriously? People getting upset over a deliberately mumbled word that was NEVER AIRED but, in fact, left on the cutting room floor?

Sheesh...

Besides which, Top Gear thrives on controversy.. The Beeb love it.

This.

Is where any right minded person should stop reading...

You continue to completely misunderstand TV licensing, and use these false arguments ALL the time.

Not at all.  Oh wait, you mean if you accessed their services without paying?  You mean if you went and broke the law?

Who exactly did he call that word??? Show me!

Irrelevant!?

Absolute toss!

Now, as for saying he is near BNP - you just made your entire argument a joke.  He mocks the right wing views, he doesn't subscribe to them.  That is his schtick - and if you can't understand that, then that is your problem, and not his.

• Like 5

Jim K    15,725

He didn't say the word.  Simple as that.

Unless "Curgh a nurgh burgh hurgh turgh" is suddenly offensive

Yes!  Yes it is to narrow minded racist fools.

MikeChipshop    3,458

Let us also completely forget that those same black African men employed slavery themselves, and actually sold rather a lot of their fellow black African men to the evil evil white European & American men.

Slavery has always happened throughout history. You don't hear people crapping on the Romans/Italians for once enslaving most of Europe, do you?

Quoted because this is exactly what i was going to say. I'm not guilty of being white.

MindTrickz    190

White men enslaved other white men long before they enslaved black men. Black men enslaved other black men long before they sold other black men to be enslaved by white men. In fact, they still do, by and large. And then there's all sorts of differently colored men that enslaved other men in between all that. But we'll have none of that, obviously, because it just might be inconvenient to know at best.

Stop banging the drums. None of that is going to help.

Yeah, in this reponse, which I feel is aimed at me, you're arguing against positions I didn't make at all. So I'm not going to go on the defensive on something I didn't say.

Onto my second point. This entire discussion is about the word Ni##er. Let's take it from the top: Someone brought up rappers using the word, in defense of Jeremy Clarkson using it. At this point ignoring the obvious difference between Nigger and Nigga. And then another poster cleaverly remarked that in today's society only white people can be racists. To which I pointed out that white men created this particuller derogatory to term for the black men that they were enslaving. I was pointing out the obvious historical context surrounding this word. How white men have used it for 400 years and to this very day to disparage black men.

But the discussion is not about slavery as such. That is another discussion entirely. As I mentioned above you, the discussion is about the racial slur. Slavery was brought up to highlight the orirign of the word.

MikeChipshop    3,458

Maybe you should try watching the video before claiming he called some one a ni*****

Mindtrickz:  So you argue that it has changed context but also it has not changed context, dependant upon the skin colour of who is saying it (if a black man says it, it clearly has an "a" at the end, right?)...

Hmmmmmmmmmm

• Like 1

cacoe    568

Maybe you should try watching the video before claiming he called some one a ni*****

Sounds like either flamebait to me or someone really didn't like Clarkson before this little fiasco.

• Like 3

Soldiers33    139

Wheres the so called freedom of speech? I have never understood people who call up to complain. Yes sometimes I complain at TV's but I dont go ringing up companies to tell them Im not pleased with something.

dauma    4

He said "ni gger" or "negro"?
Edit: looked at wikipedia. And why there's an edit in neowin since "ni gger" isn't under law in my country?

blerk    316

Poetry as flamebait?

:laugh:

Wheres the so called freedom of speech? I have never understood people who call up to complain. Yes sometimes I complain at TV's but I dont go ringing up companies to tell them Im not pleased with something.

You need to firstly understand what freedom of speech ACTUALLY means.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country#United_Kingdom

But yeah, some people look to be offended and complain, and Top Gear is prime for it.

That said, if he got someone black on, berated him and called him that word, then yes, complaints are just.

cacoe    568

Sounds like either flamebait to me or someone really didn't like Clarkson before this little fiasco.

Oh really, you pay his whole wage? Nope, a tiny amount of the money you pay for your TV licence (probably a penny or less) goes to Clarkson. This does not mean you have a direct right to demand they sack someone (and actually expect it to happen). You would go to jail for not paying your TV licence because it is law that you must pay it if you watch live broadcast television. 

Two statements here, taken out of context to make people feel that they're been treated wrongly. You should write for The Daily Mail :)

• Like 1

MindTrickz    190

Mindtrickz:  So you argue that it has changed context but also it has not changed context, dependant upon the skin colour of who is saying it (if a black man says it, it clearly has an "a" at the end, right?)...

Hmmmmmmmmmm

No, I'm not. But that word has a changed context depending on the ending. One is the original ending with "ER", that even black people do not use. The other is the one black people/rappers use. It's context is similair to "dude" or "man". "What's up n-word", "What's up, dude", "What's up, man". So why exactly are black uncomfortable with white people using the later definition? Well supposedly because of how close the two words sound and the prelevant of racism and racists that still use the first definition.

Now, can a white person say either of those words without any malice? Absolutely. For example, If I'm on public transportation and a white kid whose rapping along a song says N**a, I'll probably side-eye him but think nothing of it. But if this same kid said "N**er", I'd probably think "WTF".

Returning to the topic. Jeremy Clarkson used the one that black peope themselves don't use.

xrobwx71    844

Why not use the replacement word Tiger Like we did when I was a kid when the ol parents were around. I know,I know, those poor tigers.  :)

MindTrickz    190

Freedom of speech does not protect against hate speech. You should know that. You also can not call in bomb threat and cite freedom of speech. You can't call your boss an a-hole and cite free speech when you find yourself without a job. Freedom of speech protects you from the government. But it does not protect you from consequence outside of the government.

The BBC happens to be public and government owned, but this returns us to the first thing I mentioned.

timster    1,501

nobody should EVER have to apologize or beg for forgiveness for speaking, or inaudibly slurring a word.

####ing political correctness has turned everything into something offensive.

FloatingFatMan    21,013

He didn't call anyone that, but don't let facts or reality dissuade from your hatred of the guy.

• Like 1