Photo

Bloodborne

official bloodborne from software hidetaka miyazaki sce japan sony ps4 dark souls demon souls

412 replies to this topic

#406 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 24 June 2015 - 14:36

Larry, I give hints, not holding your hand ;)

But yes :p The guy behind the barred window.

You gave a hint and I guess (correctly I might add) based on that hint. What else was I supposed to do??  :laugh:

You know what is funny is I went back to that area to do some echoes farming and I actually went to the window and then said screw it, I have heard everything this guy has to say, and decided not to talk to him. Clearly I should have talked to him.

And just a quick comment about going back to that area. I do have to say that this game is easily, EASILY, the best game I have ever played as far as truly making the player feel they have gotten stronger and better at the game. I think back to how much difficulty I had with that first area by the bonfire, especially since I was new to the Souls games overall, and now when I go back and just wreck shop and barely even have to think about it, it really is an incredibly satisfying experience that not many other games that I can recall captures.

I am trying to talk a co-worker into playing the game, he is a gamer but somewhere between casual and hardcore, and I even told them they can borrow my copy once I am done, and my biggest selling point to him was "The game makes you feel like you have accomplished something just by unlocking a damn door."

#407 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 24 June 2015 - 14:52

You gave a hint and I guess (correctly I might add) based on that hint. What else was I supposed to do?? :laugh:

You know what is funny is I went back to that area to do some echoes farming and I actually went to the window and then said screw it, I have heard everything this guy has to say, and decided not to talk to him. Clearly I should have talked to him.

And just a quick comment about going back to that area. I do have to say that this game is easily, EASILY, the best game I have ever played as far as truly making the player feel they have gotten stronger and better at the game. I think back to how much difficulty I had with that first area by the bonfire, especially since I was new to the Souls games overall, and now when I go back and just wreck shop and barely even have to think about it, it really is an incredibly satisfying experience that not many other games that I can recall captures.

I am trying to talk a co-worker into playing the game, he is a gamer but somewhere between casual and hardcore, and I even told them they can borrow my copy once I am done, and my biggest selling point to him was "The game makes you feel like you have accomplished something just by unlocking a damn door."

Yeah that's what Souls games do best, fill you with a sense of genuine progression with both your skill level, and character power.

Funny thing is the games themselves are quite pickup and play. UI isn't cluttered and there aren't massive chunks of the game that play differently (introduction of hard puzzles or new gameplay mechanics). The real difficulty comes from having to become better through trial and error, no matter if you're a hardcore gamer or not.

Although each of the games do have some obtuse mechanics, items and are quite stat crunch heavy in regards to having to create a correct character build/weapon combo. All these little things do make parts of the game a bit user unfriendly.

#408 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 24 June 2015 - 23:56

Larry just wanted you to hop on SharePlay and finish the game

#409 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 25 June 2015 - 13:56

You gave a hint and I guess (correctly I might add) based on that hint. What else was I supposed to do??  :laugh:

I am both happy and sad for you, Larry. I'm happy that you finally experienced what it is that us 'Souls' fans love about the series and Miyazaki's design philosophy. I'm sad because now every other game you play will have to live up to that impossible standard. Not many do.

#410 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 25 June 2015 - 14:14

I am both happy and sad for you, Larry. I'm happy that you finally experienced what it is that us 'Souls' fans love about the series and Miyazaki's design philosophy. I'm sad because now every other game you play will have to live up to that impossible standard. Not many do.

Yeah I constantly get an itch to start from level 1 again in Souls games and not speed-run them per se, but see how my own talent has improved and how quickly and successfully I can navigate back through the game. Once you start to get really good at one of the Souls games it's satisfying to steam roll the bosses early on that gave you a lot of trouble and even more satisfying when you still die to making mistakes even after 300+ hours of play :p That's when it really clicks that outside of a few cheap sections, the Souls games are all about learning, practice, skill and patience. Not really about "OMG HARD GAME IS HARD". When you get better you can literally make it 1/3rd+ through one of them without dying once. I've never done any of them start to finish without dying, but I have done massive chunks.

#411 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

Posted 25 June 2015 - 15:36

Yeah same here. I've 100% Dark Souls on every platform, and each time after the first was fun to see how far I could get before my first death. Then you always have the random "whoops, ran off a ledge" types of deaths that are just plain hilarious.

I have tried SL1 fun runs before, but I didn't enjoy them too much. I didn't have too much trouble, but I just couldn't stand the speed of combat. Each boss is a slog because you so little damage. I get why people like the challenge of it, but it's not for me.

#412 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 25 June 2015 - 16:43

Yeah same here. I've 100% Dark Souls on every platform, and each time after the first was fun to see how far I could get before my first death. Then you always have the random "whoops, ran off a ledge" types of deaths that are just plain hilarious.

I have tried SL1 fun runs before, but I didn't enjoy them too much. I didn't have too much trouble, but I just couldn't stand the speed of combat. Each boss is a slog because you so little damage. I get why people like the challenge of it, but it's not for me.

It's usually "**** DIDN'T MEAN TO ROLL!". Or for me, this jump will be easy, accidentally jump at a 45 degree angle instead of straight... Or forget to jump at all and just run off a ledge. Or I'll block this incoming attack... poise damage knocks me backwards and off the ledge...

Yeah, SL1 runs aren't my thing. All I've done in DS2 is to see how high a SL I can get under 1 million souls. I've rushed to get the ring that caps your soul level by eating souls as well, capping at just over 30k souls but still being quite strong. Little challenges here or there, but never as gimped as SL1, or using a ladle as my weapon. I just don't find doing those very fun.

#413 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

Posted 25 June 2015 - 17:09

It's usually "**** DIDN'T MEAN TO ROLL!". Or for me, this jump will be easy, accidentally jump at a 45 degree angle instead of straight... Or forget to jump at all and just run off a ledge. Or I'll block this incoming attack... poise damage knocks me backwards and off the ledge...

Haha, yeah. So many good memories...