Access points for home

According to my switch the AP pro that I have it is pulling 4w idling/no one connected.  I will be moving this to provision onto a new switch and will check power draw when I put it in production (will happen within the hr). According to ubiquiti, the pros that I use have a max consumption rating of 12w so it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. 

The AC that you are looking at is a bit more of a power hog than the pro, the pro is a bit more of a power hog than the LR. 

According to my switch the AP pro that I have it is pulling 4w idling/no one connected.  I will be moving this to provision onto a new switch and will check power draw when I put it in production (will happen within the hr). According to ubiquiti, the pros that I use have a max consumption rating of 12w so it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. 

The AC that you are looking at is a bit more of a power hog than the pro, the pro is a bit more of a power hog than the LR. 

yeah, having different radios / antenna configs / max power output of the radios will change the power specs, but it's nice to see what at least one model does in comparison to their max wattage specs

4watts on idle though isn't bad for that

Not sure how accurate that is though.  even with one user that is barely using it is using the same.  The other switch I could see the power fluctuate, this one not so much and the other one is a far less expensive switch. 

I see an explanation to the power consumption, the switch cannot detect the class that the ap belogs into and is giving it max power.   It is weird because a cisco sg300 switch will detect fine but a cisco catalyst 2960-xr does not or interms of cost the sg300 costs around $300 and the 2960 is about 5 grand.

I will check my sg300 switch I am using in production.  It will take a bit of a walk though and some hazmat gowning.

bbl. 

I didn't forget about you.  with 10 people connected I am seeing a current draw of 3.5.  Right now of course they are not doing anything.  I have gotten a max of 10.6.  I will reset the counters and let you know tomorrow what it shows. 

thanks sc302, great info on the wattage

yes budman, I'm still contemplating the AC model, if I get it I'll do a review on it :shiftyninja:

Max power draw is 8.4 for today.  Hanging at around 3.4 currently with 7 people connected to it.

not sure if you care but being that you are a cisco shop, at an enable prompt

sh power inline gi1/0/4 detail

This will tell you the draw of port 4 of the first blade on the switch, or if you only have it configured as a standalone switch.  You can see the draw of  your AP's under actual consumption or whatever is pulling power off the switch at that port.

@neufuse - well I just pulled the trigger ;)

So ordered the unifi AC, and the ASUS PCE-AC68 so I can test/play with the AC since I don't have any devices with AC. And this gives me 3x3 both on the AP and the client.. So be able to rock some great benchmarks I would think ;)

I have a killawatt so happy to give you some numbers once I get it.

Wife was a bit perturbed I think, in her voice.. But told here it was on sale ;) She always pulls that #### on me when she wants something.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F42V83C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B00D80J2XU/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2D0YFB4ZQHPN0

So ordered the unifi AC, and the ASUS PCE-AC68 so I can test/play with the AC since I don't have any devices with AC. And this gives me 3x3 both on the AP and the client.. So be able to rock some great benchmarks I would think ;)

Wife was a bit perturbed I think, in her voice.. But told here it was on sale ;) She always pulls that #### on me when she wants something.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F42V83C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B00D80J2XU/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2D0YFB4ZQHPN0

*lol* well you beat me to it.. I'm still doing research.. let me know what you find out. I'm probably going to spend the next week configuring and building my new router, so after that project is done I'll be ready for a new AP.

oh and it is on sale! everything is on sale if you compare it to another countries higher prices :rofl:  :laugh:  do what I do, but her something to :laugh:

well I cheeped out temporarily. I bought one of the Unifi Enterprise AP's but not the AC one to test out. for $70 it's not a bad deal, I'm going to wait until budman gives his approval on it before I pull that trigger since he ordered one ;)

It should be here on wed from the tracking.. And F it, just pulled the trigger on SG300-10 to update my smart switch ;) This will allow me to replace my living room dumb switch with my current gs108tv1 and trunk to there so I can put my dvrs and popcorn on their own vlans..

Wife will not even know on this one - used points ;) heheheh

oh the money we throw into our networks... this summer I'm redoing my entire wiring demark (I have a finished 6x11 ft room for all that in my basement) everything in the house is homerunned back to this point... going to be taking it all down, redoing it with new patch panels, new switches, etc, putting in PoE switch and running new lines for IP HD security cameras... new NVR for the cams... will be an expensive summer :laugh:

Sounds fun though.. Camera's are on my list too ;)

I just haven't decided if I want PTZ or Fisheye cameras yet... fisheye is neat since it's of course fixed, but the software they have now to flatten out an image and track objects moving using that static fisheye image are pretty good. I need 4 cameras to cover my lot, 4 x about $500 a camera budgeted... hehe can get some ok cameras on that budget

Use the V3.xx beta controller software/firmware as it tends to behave a lot better with the AC AP than the 2.xx firmware.

Had a couple of Standard Unifi's at home, nice manageability but I seem to get better throughput out of other AP's including a ?30 tenda router's 2.4ghz radio.

Currently not using mine as I got lucky with a H3C 802.11N ap on ebay sometime last year which I'm using at the moment (Wish I could get a 2nd one for the price I paid for it)

yeah already have the controller software running 3.1.12, just waiting for the AP to show up.  As to better throughput than standard - we can ask neufuse to benchmark them.

which H3C did you get, and are you running a controller with them - I was not aware they had software based controller - only hardware?

yeah already have the controller software running 3.1.12, just waiting for the AP to show up.  As to better throughput than standard - we can ask neufuse to benchmark them.

which H3C did you get, and are you running a controller with them - I was not aware they had software based controller - only hardware?

It was a WA2610-AGN and I managed to get my hands on the FAT (Standalone) Ap firmware and reflash it so it can be used without the controller  :D 

Must admit I did find the CLI somewhat irritating as it's close to the Huawei CLI but not quite the same, Also the web interface doesn't play nice in Chrome.

Running it on 2.4ghz at the moment (Only single radio)

Its really ugly compared to the unifi for one ;)  Your saying this; a normal wireless router got better throughput then the unifi N router AP that neufuse just bought?

Well lets see some benchmarks!!  And get the party started with real world numbers..  How about a simple robocopy from something wired at gig for starters, and say an iperf test.

Well it showed up early - working from home, so wont have lot of time to play with it until later.  But I can tell you one thing clearly faster!

So fired up - have not played with much of config, this is pretty much out of the box..  Connected my ipad too it - look at the previous results compared to now seeing 50's  My internet is 57, which my wifes laptop hit right away. Can't wait til the new AC card for my pc gets here, etc.

post-14624-0-33047800-1400602070.png

Its really ugly compared to the unifi for one ;)  Your saying this and a normal wireless router got better throughput then the unifi N router that neufuse just bought?

Well lets see some benchmarks!!  And get the party started with real world numbers..  How about a simple robocopy from something wired at gig for starters, and say an iperf test.

The Unifi AP's are not Routers  :shifty:

Other AP's are faster than the standard ones, not tested the AC ones but you don't buy unifi if you want the fastest AP's around you buy them if you want a managed wi-fi solution at a sensible price.

Also Just got some el-cheapo Bufferlo AC Routers to play with Bridging on. :woot:  

My bad on the router term, yes your right they are AP..

Should of been

"Your saying a normal wireless router got better throughput then the unifi N AP that neufuse just bought?"

Well let see some benchmarks.