Nexus 4: From Dalvik to ART ------> Red Light.

Title says it all. What's going on:

1) Red light is blinking

2) Fastboot works

3) Recovery doesn't work. When I'm on fastboot and choose recovery, it will display the "Google" logo for 1-2 sec and shut down.

4) I used the Nexus toolkit to install a Google Factory image, but it still wouldn't boot.

5) I tried the Vol. UP + Power button in order to simulate a battery pull, but it didn't work as well.

6) NO, I don't have a T5 screwdriver so if this is your answer, it doesn't help me at all.

7) It needs to be constantly connected to either USB or charger in order to perform anything. My phone is in a comma. :p

I tried this: http://forum.xda-developers. com/nexus-4/general/tutorial-how-to-unbrick-n4-t2347060 but it didn't help

I get the battery icon by:
1) Going into fastboot
2) Selecting "Power off" option
3) Unplugging the USB cable
4) Plugging in the USB cable.

It's not animating. It just shows the full battery icon with a thunder in the middle for 1-2 seconds. Then red light blinking again. Some users with the red light have battery animation.

This is what gets displayed with the above procedure.

54ao1w.jpg

It has happened to me in the past, 2 times, and both times I could boot into Recovery. My brother fixed it, but now I'm not in my hometown, so I must get help online. :( Can anyone help me?

It is extremely unlikely switching to ART caused your phone to brick.

Instead of using a toolkit, have you tried doing everything manually to relock the phone and return to stock via adb? http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/general/how-to-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2010312

Actually ART is the real culprit here. The 3 times that has happened, where when I switched from Dalvik to ART. Also, I have tried what you said. Flashed stock google image, locked my phone etc etc. Nothing worked.

Also, adb doesn't work because I cannot access Recovery. I can only access bootloader, thus only fastboot works. :(

there is no way ART caused your phone to brick, im telling you this is a fact. The worst that can happen is a bootloop but i wont argue with you.

ADB works in Fastboot/Bootloader, that is how you factory restore not adb in recovery. Which means you havent tried it yet, give it a shot.

Did you bother trying to manually restore everything via fastboot and adb? it is almost *impossible* to brick a nexus device follow the thread i gave you and report back. Notice none of the directions mention entering recovery, so you should be able to save it if you would just listen.

1) Make sure your computer recognizes your device by typing: fastboot devices
2) Unlock your bootloader (if you have not already done so): fastboot oem unlock
3) You will see a prompt on your device. This will wipe your entire device (including the /sdcard folder). Accept. Note: you use the volume keys to change the option and the power button to accept. You cannot use the touch screen.
4) Reboot by typing: fastboot reboot-bootloader
5) Flash the bootloader: fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz10o.img (or whatever the name of the bootloader image that you downloaded).
6) Reboot: fastboot reboot-bootloader
7) Flash the radio: fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.48.img (or whatever the name is of the radio image that you downloaded).
8) Reboot: fastboot reboot-bootloader
9) Flash the system partition: fastboot flash system system.img
10) Optional, but read note. Flash the data partition: fastboot flash userdata userdata.img Note: this command will wipe your device (including /sdcard), EVEN if your bootloader is already unlocked. See note 2 below.
11) Flash the kernel/ramdisk: fastboot flash boot boot.img
12) Flash the recovery partition: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
13) Erase the cache partition: either a) fastboot erase cache OR b) fastboot format cache <<== the second option seems to work better for most people. Thanks joostburg.
14) Reboot: fastboot reboot
15) Done! The first boot will likely take quite a bit longer than you are used to, as Android builds the Dalvik cache.

Now you have a fully stock image on your device. The only thing that is different from out-of-the-box condition is that your bootloader is unlocked. See the notes section at the end of this post for information on re-locking the bootloader.

Note that some users indicate that they can't get past the X on boot. If this happens to you, reboot into the bootloader and select recovery. Then, when you see the Android with the red exclamation mark, hold power and press volume up to take you to the menu. Wipe cache. If that still doesn't work, boot back into recovery and do a factory reset (this will obviously delete all your data & files in /sdcard...).

Did you bother trying to manually restore everything via fastboot and adb? it is almost *impossible* to brick a nexus device follow the thread i gave you and report back. Notice none of the directions mention entering recovery, so you should be able to save it if you would just listen.

I know the thread and my search led me there. But it doesn't work. :) On top of that, when I type "fastboot reboot fastboot" it will try to reboot and shut down instead.

Maybe the battery is the culprit, and, I believe, this thread is more relevant: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/general/final-fix-nexus-4-red-light-death-t2250454 My brother managed to fix it 2 times, but we could boot to recovery. What's more, when we flashed stock ROM the first 2 times that happened, it would boot afterwards. Now it doesn't.

Sometimes even if you flash back to a stock rom you still have to do a data wipe, did you do that after installing the stock rom?

Switching to ART really shouldn't brick your device, it might be faulty.

7) It needs to be constantly connected to either USB or charger in order to perform anything. My phone is in a comma. :p

That's a small space for your phone to be in. :P

But it sounds like it's a power issue - if you have to keep it connected to do anything, the battery is probably faulty... (Hence why trying anything shuts the device down - no power)

the nexus 4 is a great phone. curious as to what you want it to do that it doesn't/can't do out-of-the-box?

Indeed it's a great phone, but I never said I wanted it to do something it cannot do. :P

Sometimes even if you flash back to a stock rom you still have to do a data wipe, did you do that after installing the stock rom?

Switching to ART really shouldn't brick your device, it might be faulty.

Yeah I did that as well.

That's a small space for your phone to be in. :p

But it sounds like it's a power issue - if you have to keep it connected to do anything, the battery is probably faulty... (Hence why trying anything shuts the device down - no power)

You didn't understand me. :P NOW it needs to be connected to do anything(the only thing it can do atm is boot into fastboot). Thing is, it happened 2 times the last month. :(

You didn't understand me. :p NOW it needs to be connected to do anything(the only thing it can do atm is boot into fastboot). Thing is, it happened 2 times the last month. :(

True, I didn't get that - but now I do.

If it happened last month, I'm still suspect of the battery (or the phone in general)... Not having a T5 driver to open it makes it tricky though. (I'd suggest eBay for one...)

True, I didn't get that - but now I do.

If it happened last month, I'm still suspect of the battery (or the phone in general)... Not having a T5 driver to open it makes it tricky though. (I'd suggest eBay for one...)

I'm Greek, so I don't have the time to wait for the ebay package to arrive. :p I will wait will Monday when the stores will be open. I tried ordering one as well(it cost 0,75 euro) and the final price was 7 euro.... That's why I will wait. :p

Thing is, my brother, as I said, managed to fix it both times it happened last month.