Roland Emmerich to Direct "Stargate" Reboot

The problem with SGU was that it was too dark and serious, yet without the credibility that Battlestar Galactica had. However, once it got going it was excellent and by the end I loved it. Both SGA and SGU were cancelled before they should have been, while SG1 continued on longer than it should have.

The problem with SGU was that it was too dark and serious, yet without the credibility that Battlestar Galactica had. However, once it got going it was excellent and by the end I loved it. Both SGA and SGU were cancelled before they should have been, while SG1 continued on longer than it should have.

SGA started okay, then went downhill fast.. The final season is unwatchable.

I like what they did with SG1, leaving it without everything all sorted out.. but then they made the movie that negated that.. so now the Earth is the most powerful force.. Meh.. Would have been better if they left it as a stalemate.. SG1 destroyed too many enemies, rather than just driving them off.. limiting potential stories in the future :( It's a shame really.

They should have taken a page from Star Trek.. never destroy the enemy.. That way you can use them again in the future. Even if for the short term you make them allies.. (all the futures where the Klingons are the enemy again?)

Its not really a reboot more than ita going back to the story established with the book and original movie. So I imagine the tv shows stories will go out the window but I am honestly not worried at all.

The original Stargate Movie was meant to be a trilogy any way, but the issue is that the TV series kicked in and Roland worked on other projects and not he wants to return to what he started but looks like he needs a reboot if he wants to do the original trilogy he had originally planned.

I'm not happy about this at all.  I watched SG1/SGA/SGU religiously for 14 years and loved it.  I suspect this new "trilogy" will throw out the whole SG storyline and continue with some alternate universe crap that won't live up to what RDA, AT, and MS were able to pull off with the series.  And let's not forget about Dave Hewlett and Joe Flanigan on SGA.

This.

I'm not happy about this at all.  I watched SG1/SGA/SGU religiously for 14 years and loved it.  I suspect this new "trilogy" will throw out the whole SG storyline and continue with some alternate universe crap that won't live up to what RDA, AT, and MS were able to pull off with the series.  And let's not forget about Dave Hewlett and Joe Flanigan on SGA.

Definitely this

I truly did enjoy the shows, and wish they would bring them back in some form or another. To me Daniel Jackson will always be James Spader (Michael Shanks did a good job though)

I truly did enjoy the shows, and wish they would bring them back in some form or another. To me Daniel Jackson will always be James Spader (Michael Shanks did a good job though)

Michael Shanks was FANTASTIC. I didn't even know who James Spader is till I googled him now. I really didn't like him in Stargate, also didn't like O'Neil. And yes, I watched that movie before SG-1.

The tv series had really nothing to do with the movie anyway so of course he's going to ignore them.

As for the series, SG1 was a bunch of dudes traveling to other planets who always looked like North America. It was enjoyable but... Hardly the serious show the movie was and with a completely different story.

SGA was actually pretty awesome, even if everything was still in NA ;)

SGU.... eh it was horrible had nothing to do with previous SG at all and was all around pretty terrible.

I still love SGU :(

I remember getting into it really late, and having them all recored on DVR, getting the to end and excitedly looking for when the next series was only to find out it was cancelled. It literally destroyed me :( I loved that series so much, I watched them all (well bits at least) and to say this person is going to ignore the TV series pretty much sums up how good this movie will be.

They really want to bring back anything that showed the slightest success and reboot it.   Nice going guys, let's just not come up with anything original anymore and reboot everything that's made money every 10-15 years.

This is Different. This is STARGATE we're talking about! the third member of the most famous Sci-FI Movie/TV Series with the word "Star" In it. I'd agree with some of you who think that the spin off shows didn't do much to the movie. I like the concept, but a movie series is better off for explaining the history of the Stargates in full.

This is Different. This is STARGATE we're talking about! the third member of the most famous Sci-FI Movie/TV Series with the word "Star" In it. I'd agree with some of you who think that the spin off shows didn't do much to the movie. I like the concept, but a movie series is better off for explaining the history of the Stargates in full.

We already know the history, the Ancients were the gate builders, the Goa-uld stole their tech, bla bla. And the series, at least SG-1, had a lot to do with the movie. Abidos, Ra, pyramids being space ships landing pods (Daniel's theory), Sha're, the cartouche with all the gate addresses, etc. Maybe it's way too early to speculate, maybe this trilogy will focus on an angle that won't destroy 17 seasons of Stargate mythology and stories, so I'll wait. 

The series used parts of the movie as a basis and then ran wild. It's fair to say that little in the series is part of what the original idea for the movie trilogy was going to be.

The series used parts of the movie as a basis and then ran wild. It's fair to say that little in the series is part of what the original idea for the movie trilogy was going to be.

I think the correct term is "developed". Or "expanded". Also, what was the original idea of the movie trilogy?

I think the correct term is "developed". Or "expanded". Also, what was the original idea of the movie trilogy?

Ask Emmerich.

Or just watch the movie, it's quite obvious the story in the series bears little relevance to the movie except pyramids portals and Egyptian styled bad guys.

Ask Emmerich.

Or just watch the movie, it's quite obvious the story in the series bears little relevance to the movie except pyramids portals and Egyptian styled bad guys.

That's why I asked: what was the movie's idea? Everything seems the same in SG-1 - SGC, Abidos, Daniel Jackson, O'Neill (2 L's this time), Ra as the original bad Goa-uld...so what's different??

I loved SG1 up until the end of season 7 and enjoyed seasons 8 to 10.  I really enjoyed SGU and was disappointed when it was cancelled. 

I watched SGA but never enjoyed it and never understood what others saw in it.  The writers had clearly run out of ideas and it never seemed to improve. 

That's why I asked: what was the movie's idea? Everything seems the same in SG-1 - SGC, Abidos, Daniel Jackson, O'Neill (2 L's this time), Ra as the original bad Goa-uld...so what's different??

The Goa-uld for starters.  They weren't snakes in the movie - more like an X-Files type alien.  There was also no suggestion that the Jaffa were incubators for Goa-uld symbionts in the movie.

There were no Ancients, Asgard, Furlings, etc. in the movie and there wasn't anything to suggest that the Stargate went anywhere other than Abydos.

They even had a different airforce base in the movie :)

The movie also had James Spader - the real Daniel Jackson.

The original alien was a humanoid. Not a parasite. It was the last of an alien race so it took the body of a human.  I think that's all we know about the movie aliens.  The show kept the Earth story but changed everything beyond the gate.

This is my point exactly. HOW can you make a 17 seasons TV show if you're not developing a story in certain directions?! It's absolutely normal that they took the movie story and extended it into a HUGE story, capable of sustaining these shows. How the hell do you make a trilogy with ONE alien and a gate that goes to ONE planet and back?! 

This guy can't add anything new to the story, except if he really "deletes" everything that SG-1, SGA and SGU established so far. Maybe new CGI and stuff, but other than that, what?! You can't stretch the same idea on 3 movies, it's been done in one, so...  After all, it's a REBOOT, right?

Everything you guys just said is what happens when you expand a story.  

The movie had a cartouche in Abydos, the TV show extended that and actually had SG-1 travel to those addresses.

In the show, Daniel married Sha're.  In the movie, Daniel had feelings for her.  Therefore, the show extended on the movie.

In the movie, Jack befriended Skaara.  In the TV show, they display their friendship.

In the movie, Jack's son accidentally shot himself.  In the show, this is still the case, and is brought up multiple times.

So again, how is the TV show nothing like the movie?

The TV show extended on the story from the movie.  If you want to think that there was only one planet, two Stargates, and one alien, then that is fine (which is also not true though because the movie showed a cartouche).  The TV show made the story much better by fleshing it out. 

As far as the Goa'uld, was it specifically stated/shown that they were not a parasite species in the movie?  Does a TV show with 10 season ONLY have to follow what was states in the movie?  You do know story progresses right?  Is there a line in the movie that said the Jaffa were not incubators?

in the movie and there wasn't anything to suggest that the Stargate went anywhere other than Abydos.

Are you forgetting about the Abydos cartouche, which SG-1 used for the initial planetary exploration?  So yes, there was something that suggested the Stargate went elsewhere.

Isn't this just like saying that the Pilot of the TV show Arrow is NOTHING like the second season because of the main bad guy (I won't mention his name for those that have not seen it) was not mentioned in the pilot?  It is called story progression.

Or saying that the first episode of Lost has NOTHING in common with the later seasons, because there was no indication of the DHARMA Initiative.  

So in order for the TV show to matter, the movie had to talk about the ancients, furlings , asgards, Atlantis, ZPMs, Goa'ulds being parasites, the Ori, ascended beings, ... (you get the idea).  ALL of these things needed to be mentioned in the movie for the TV show's story to matter?!  That is insane. 

The original alien was a humanoid. Not a parasite. It was the last of an alien race so it took the body of a human.  I think that's all we know about the movie aliens.  The show kept the Earth story but changed everything beyond the gate.

Was there an actual line in the movie that said "I am not a parasite" or "He is not a parasite"?  What is the indication that the movie gave that makes it 100% positive that he is NOT a parasite?

It was the last of an alien race so it took the body of a human.

Was it Ra that said that?  You know lots of stories, movies, tv shows, ... do this all the time right?  "I am the last of my kind"..... then somebody else shows up and is the same species, has the same abilities as they do.  Wolverine right up before the events of X-Men 1 (after he got amnesia) thought he was alone.  This is why there is a running line "You are not the only one with gifts".  Superman  --  some story lines have him saying "I am all alone".  Then his cousin shows up, or Zod.  You get the idea.  This happens ALL the time.  Ra could have very well believed he was the last of his species.  Doesn't mean the story is not able to expand and have more of his kind show up.

It was the last of an alien race so it took the body of a human.

By definition, that is a parasite isn't it?

Snip

I think you've misunderstood.  It's natural for the TV show to expand beyond the story elements in the movie and develop its own.  The point is that they are unique to the TV show and can be ignored in the reboot.  A lot of the choice made in the TV show seem to naturally flow from the movie (such as the discovery of more addresses on Abydos) but they weren't in the movie and can be ignored in the reboot if necessary. 

As far as the form and back story of the Goa'uld is concerned, I thought the movie was pretty clear and even shows an image of the alien.  Also, his Egyptian mask comes out of his head rather than out of his armour.