Mario Kart 8 boosts UK Wii U hardware sales 666%

mario kart 8 mario kart nintendo ead group no. 1 nintendo wii u

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 red.

red.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:18

I must admit I was genuinely tempted to get a Wii U just for that game after I saw the reviews.

But then reason took over.  :(

Me too. I was actually scouring eBay to see if i could find something cheap but i've got more important things to pay for this month. Maybe later though.

#17 glen8

glen8

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:26

me and my friend both bought wii u consoles recently, and i notice looking on Facebook a lot of friends have as well

Nintendo need to fire their marketing dept and go with someone else.....the wii u has been terribly marketed, it's a good console, just a shame no many people know it!

#18 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:30

The devil is working behind closed doors in order to boost Wii u sales  :shifty:

The Devils number is in fact 616. ;)

#19 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:33

me and my friend both bought wii u consoles recently, and i notice looking on Facebook a lot of friends have as well

Nintendo need to fire their marketing dept and go with someone else.....the wii u has been terribly marketed, it's a good console, just a shame no many people know it!

I agree, and I think the other problem is the they don't fully explain all the benefits of the Gamepad because, to be honest, it just looked like a silly useless gimmick before I actually bought a Wii U and played around with it...and now I love it.

And then you have all the other promotions like Digital Deluxe (which gives you "cash back" everytime you buy a game, usually $5), and Club Nintendo. I found out about the latter through the Mario Kart 8 promotion, and the former once I filled out the survey on Club Nintendo.

Nintendo needs to be more aggressive with their marketing, right now all they seem to do is apologize. Sure apologies are great when they're needed but it doesn't make people buy your consoles.

---

The other thing they need to do is start aggressively developing their IPs. Things like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros should have been released last year or as launch day exclusives instead of things like Nintendo Land. I mean look at what 1 game did to Wii U sales, and with Super Smash Bros coming out later this year the sales will keep going up. Then you have the new Zelda, Hyrule Warriors etc. If this was done in 2012 and 2013 they would have had excellent yearly results. That said, though, I don't want them to rush things because their game quality has, for the most part, been truly fantastic and I don't want them to lose that.

There is a rumor, though, that Nintendo has been in talks with Rare to buy their IPs (Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong etc)...and if that happens and goes through Wii U sales will go even higher.

#20 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2014 - 19:13

SNIP

Agreed, love the digital promotion, already picked up a few virtual console games for free.  

Finished my first cup on MarioKart and it just felt right, love being able to play on the gamepad while the wife or kids watch tv.

#21 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

Posted 02 June 2014 - 19:26

There is a rumor, though, that Nintendo has been in talks with Rare to buy their IPs (Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong etc)...and if that happens and goes through Wii U sales will go even higher.

They should just try to reacquire Rare. Microsoft wasn't interested in having them do anything other than motion control shovelware and with Kinect Sports Rivals being a flop they might be looking to get rid of them.

#22 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2014 - 19:59

They should just try to reacquire Rare. Microsoft wasn't interested in having them do anything other than motion control shovelware and with Kinect Sports Rivals being a flop they might be looking to get rid of them.

I would love for that to happen. Diddy Kong and Banjo Kazooie? Hell yeh!

#23 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 June 2014 - 20:01

didn't i hear that the original Rare devs had split away and where working on a true new Banjo Kazooie game? or did that never leave the realm of rumor?

#24 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2014 - 20:05

666 huh? Obviously Wario is behind this

#25 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2014 - 20:11

didn't i hear that the original Rare devs had split away and where working on a true new Banjo Kazooie game? or did that never leave the realm of rumor?

Hm not sure that would work since Rare owns the IPs for Banjo Kazooie. The employees wouldn't just be able to leave and use those IPs without permission.

Now they may have approached Nintendo and expressed an interested in working on a new BK game and Nintendo might be trying to get the rights to that since it's rumored that they are.

#26 link6155

link6155

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2014 - 20:27

Just wait until Smash Bros Wii U is released. Wii U and 3DS launch both weren't so great, but once great titles starts rolling in, that's where the sells get going.

#27 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2014 - 20:28

i love my WiiU the games are coming thick and fast, they're fun, colourful and look great, personally i think they look better than any XB1 game.  So far the WiiU has been the star of the next generation consoles, especially good for family/friends gathering around the TV. 

For me buying mario kart was a no brainer, already was gonna buy it but getting a free game was the cherry on the cake, i got pikmin which I've been meaning to get for a long while.

#28 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2014 - 21:13

Looks like Mario Kart 8 sold 1.2 million copies on it's opening weekend and the franchise as a whole has sold over 100 million copies:

VC8kdTZ.png

http://nintendoevery...-first-weekend/

#29 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 02 June 2014 - 21:20

Oh stop I been having more fun playing the wii u over my xbox one. Id say its way better  than the wii and worth it

I can't really justify buying a console for one single game. :p

#30 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:31

Just wait until Smash Bros Wii U is released. Wii U and 3DS launch both weren't so great, but once great titles starts rolling in, that's where the sells get going.

While Smash Bros has a big loyal following, it's safe to say that Mario Kart has a much bigger mass appeal following.