23 replies to this topic

#16 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:14

I think they over did it a bit.

NASA weather and constellation data, using 16 mics to record vehicle sound at different locations and angles (manufacturers even wanted to use that data in their archives), using manufacturers 3D cad images to build the cars ingame.. Etc etc.

Gameplay might be arcade style but the world around you is going to be a sim of the real tracks, cars, sounds and locations.

#17 IceBreakerG

IceBreakerG

Local Ninja! Code Ninja That Is.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:36

Sooo, who's going to be the first to attempt to count those 1.2 million trees or all of those flamingos?  It seems to be pretty easy to claim an absurdly high number of objects that would be very difficult for someone without the game code to count.

#18 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:46

Yeah stuff like that is a bit naff, but small touches in games do bring things to life

For more important small touches, all the self-reflection stuff is tasty (cars reflecting on other cars)

I'd prefer the small touches that I'm going to notice. I'm not going to notice that a crowd of 3000 Flamingos are behaving individually as I go flying past hopefully faster than 30mph, hopefully not skidding on my side/roof.

#19 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 06 June 2014 - 13:17

I'd prefer the small touches that I'm going to notice. I'm not going to notice that a crowd of 3000 Flamingos are behaving individually as I go flying past hopefully faster than 30mph, hopefully not skidding on my side/roof.

Well you will now, because they've told you  :whistle:

When you watch a film for the first time, do you notice all the little details and background interactions? No, some things you probably won't ever notice until you read about them and go back and see for yourself. It's 1 point out of 51, no it doesn't mean much, if anything, but it's harmless programmer trivia.

#20 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 06 June 2014 - 14:49

I personally was pretty damn blown away when I read this blog entry yesterday.

Sure, a whole lot of stuff may never not be noticed, but I think the point of it all is they are doing it, and while it may not be incredibly relevant to this particular game, it will hopefully provide inspiration to other developers.

It really comes down to the individual aspects may not be all that impressive on their own, but it is the combination of them all that creates an environment that is incredibly realistic, and that just adds to the overall immersion.

So overall I think it is pretty damn impressive.

#21 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 06 June 2014 - 16:05

I'm a huge fan of details, so if they can deliver while producing a great game expereince... why not?  I still remember playing Duke Nukem 3d on pc and being impressed by the ability to "use" items that were part of the environment.  Oddly enough I was blown away when playing Max Payne and you could turn on the faucets and even the paper towel dispenser worked.  Usually when a developer puts that much detail into a game it ends up being a great game.

#22 Kriz

Kriz

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 06 June 2014 - 17:31

Wow very impressive!!

#23 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 06 June 2014 - 19:22

And just to build on my previous comment. Okay. So they recreated the stars in the skies exactly as they are in real life, including how they cast shadows on the earth. To me that is amazing. But I totally get I may never appreciate it as I am driving 100mph in a Porsche.

However imagine that same stars system they created as the sky in a virtual reality environment. That's pretty damn special and one step closer to creating experiences that mimic reality itself.

The truth about video games and graphics and virtual reality and everything else related to technology, is we have not seen a damn thing yet. That's what excites me most. Reading stuff like this, although it may seem trivial in a video game that is about racing cars, just really provides a small glimpse into the future of things. I just hope I am around long enough to see it all come to fruition.

#24 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 11 June 2014 - 00:13

gotvip07.jpg

My mind is blown.