XP update stop at April 14th?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

• 4,537 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:17

lol I just got one update for Windows XP.  And the update was Malicious Remover Tool or something like that... very funny... I thought they stop the XP support since April...

#2 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,091 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:24

They extended the life of the Malicious Software Remover Tool.  Clearly if people are still running XP, they need all the help they can get to stay safe on the Internet.

#3 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,231 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:29

They extended the life of the Malicious Software Remover Tool.  Clearly if people are still running XP, they need all the help they can get to stay safe on the Internet.

uh oh I know someone who is gonna have a coronary over that.

#4 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 2,362 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:36

I only found out the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is useless unless manually run yesterday. I always thought it was something that ran and checked as a background process. Plus, the only way to launch it is through the Run prompt, or by going into system folders - how would the average user know how to do that?

#5 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• 1,584 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:42

Similarly to MSE, they've extended support of MSRT for XP for about a year. However, it only hunts for VERY specific malware and it is an on-demand tool, so it is rarely used by the average folk.

#6 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,091 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:36

I only found out the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is useless unless manually run yesterday. I always thought it was something that ran and checked as a background process. Plus, the only way to launch it is through the Run prompt, or by going into system folders - how would the average user know how to do that?

I don't care.  The average user shouldn't be using this operating system.  If they get malicious software, good.

#7 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 11,084 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:59

I thought the Jokes & Funny Stuff section was suppose to be funny? :o

#8 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• 1,196 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:01

no that stopped when warwagon joined :p

#9 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

• 11,084 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:05

no that stopped when warwagon joined :p

So then, it hasn't been funny since near the beginning of Neowin's existence: :o

rdIsTE2.gif

#10 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:28

Windows XP is a joke.

#11 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 8,459 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:30

Man, where have you been?

Even my totally computer illiterate brother knows that it doesn't run all the time and that it only checks for a very specific set of files.

#12 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 12,099 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:44

Windows XP is a joke.

xp will never die, never I tell you never never NEVER :p

#13 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 10,287 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:48

lol I just got one update for Windows XP.  And the update was Malicious Remover Tool or something like that... very funny... I thought they stop the XP support since April...

Duh... thery stopped giving  the SYSTEM UPDATES to XP users... Not Malware updates.. 

If you want to use XP longer, then I suggest that you unplug the PC from the internet. Otherwise, you will have security risks.

#14 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

Deadhead

• 1,161 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:35

The Malicious Software Removal Tool isn't a replacement for traditional anti virus software and it runs in the background (just after you download/install from windows update)...you don't need to run it manually.  It is geared to detect specific malware in specific locations, a preventative step to eradicate worms and malware so that the systems does not stay infected for years.  It was never intended to be a full blown scanner.  You don't need to run it manually...if you suspect the computer is infected then you need a dedicated scanner.

XP will continue to receive updates for this tool and MSE for about another year (I think July 2015???)

#15 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

• 11,084 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:28

Windows XP is a joke.

Hmm, right... so unsupported OSes are jokes now. I think I'll stay quiet as I don't want another war to start over this. :laugh: