9 posts in this topic

SCOTT TOWNSHIP (KDKA) ? A man shopping at a Walmart in the South Hills got more than a bargain while shopping for some bananas.

He got a pinch from a scorpion.

The man says a Wal-Mart representative told him even the fruit company was surprised that a scorpion would be able to survive the long journey in a box of bananas.

It happened at the Washington Pike store around 2 p.m. Wednesday.

The man, from the South Hills, didn?t want to be identified.

?Standing there in a state of disbelief, not really believing that a scorpion had just grabbed onto me in Scott Township,? he told KDKA.

The man had his 2-year-old and 3-year-old children in the cart when he reached into the box of bananas and felt a pinch.

?I yanked my arm out and flung it, and this scorpion flopped to the ground,? he said. ?I was standing there in disbelief looking and there was another shopper there and people started to converge, and sure enough it was a scorpion.?

The South Hills man threw a lid over and quickly killed it.

He wasn?t seriously injured, but did see a doctor to check it out. The man says the experience has made him think twice before reaching into a box of bananas again.

The man says Wal-Mart did offer to pay for his medical bills.

source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That happens time to time, and sometimes it's rather nasty spiders. Little devils crawl between the bananas and hang on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is a wonder he was not poisoned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a few years ago my roomate found a small lizard in a box of bananas at our local grocery store. brought the thing home in a jar, and it became our pet for a while

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High school I used to work in the produce dept at the local grocery store.  Would find spiders from time to time.  Nothing poisonous tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ate a banana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is a wonder he was not poisoned.

 

He probably was, but most scorpions in the world do not carry enough toxin to make a human sick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been stung by a scorpion but I hear it hurts. We have these little 1''-2'' black/brown scorpions here in Florida. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of our sons has an 8" pet Emperor Scorpion (the big black ones.) No problems as it seems to enjoy being handled (just like my Goliath Bird Eater tarantula.) What's cool is that under a UV light they flouresce a bright blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.