Photo
winrt win8 win8.1

34 replies to this topic

#1 d3rf3l

d3rf3l

Neowinian

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:09

Currently, a big part of the reason why you can't find many useful Metro apps is that they can't do work in the background: as soon as an app is not on screen it stops whatever it's doing.

Since Microsoft is looking for feedback on how to improve the WinRT API, vote for allowing Metro apps to execute tasks in the background. If enough people show interest, Metro apps could get a lot more useful than they are now.

#2 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:22

So that's why spotlite doesn't stop playing when I switch to modern ie or anything else...

Modern apps can run in the baground if the developer has set it to.

#3 SledgeNZ

SledgeNZ

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:42

As Hawkman has said, load of bollocks. As a dev you can easily allow your app to run background tasks.

In addition if you kept up to date with the Modern api they've opened it up even more ala Silverlight 5 whereby in an enterprise environment you can gain access to the win32 layer and do as you please.

They'll keep on this path as well as Modern will end up being the desktop replacement.

#4 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:08

Are you for real? If you want that, just go use android. Metro apps can run in background perfectly fine where it is applicable.

#5 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:17

There are specific cases where they can keep doing something in the background, but it's not like desktop apps that can keep their main or sub processes going until the app is closed.  In the case of store apps, things like background audio is one thing, specific background file transfers is another that I know of.  And pretty much that's about it, there's things that are related to notifications coming in that can trigger a background task for the app but yeah, not the same thing.

The idea is good for battery but if/when we get metro apps in windows on the desktop then battery isn't a factor.  It should be easy to let the OS know that if it's on main power and not battery to let apps keep running and don't suspend them, then change it back if the system is on battery but give users options for which apps they want to keep running regardless.

#6 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 24 June 2014 - 14:18

The idea is good for battery but if/when we get metro apps in windows on the desktop then battery isn't a factor.  It should be easy to let the OS know that if it's on main power and not battery to let apps keep running and don't suspend them, then change it back if the system is on battery but give users options for which apps they want to keep running regardless.

Then you will start to get tons of apps that do not need to run on background running in background and then not working properly on mobile devices.

#7 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 24 June 2014 - 14:25

As others have said this already exists:

Screenshot (1).png

How to use it: http://msdn.microsof...(v=win.10).aspx

#8 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 24 June 2014 - 15:34

Then you will start to get tons of apps that do not need to run on background running in background and then not working properly on mobile devices.

It's not so much a case of running in the background doing nothing.  Lots of apps, desktop apps, just sit there, the only impact they have to the system is that they take up RAM, just like metro apps do.  Out of all the apps I have running right now on my desktop only 3-4 are actually using CPU cycles, others sit and wait till I switch to them and do something.  I don't see this as a huge impact, even on mobile, to battery life or even performance yet what you do get is faster switching between apps and so on like you do right now under Win32.

Besides, the API request isn't for generic "background tasks" it's for them to raise the arbitrary limits they have in place that can get in the way.  Why, for example, do we have to limit the number of apps that can "run under the lock screen" to 8 or 10?  Everyone loves choice, so why not just let me pick as many as I want?  It's my device and my battery and if we're on the desktop why do I even care about the impact to power?  The system should be smart enough to not suspend apps in this case, and it's the OS that handles suspending apps, not the apps, the only thing apps have to do is make sure they save their state when the OS tosses them a notice saying they're going to get suspended or killed soon, that's it.  

This is more about the limits of what they have in place now and not the lack of it altogether. 

#9 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 June 2014 - 16:11

The lock screen restrictions are only for apps that can run on the lock screen. There is no restriction for background tasks for active apps as far as I know. Xbox Music can run in the background but doesn't take  up a lock screen allocation.

#10 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 24 June 2014 - 16:35

Currently, a big part of the reason why you can't find many useful Metro apps is that they can't do work in the background: as soon as an app is not on screen it stops whatever it's doing.

Since Microsoft is looking for feedback on how to improve the WinRT API, vote for allowing Metro apps to execute tasks in the background. If enough people show interest, Metro apps could get a lot more useful than they are now.

Many apps do not run in the background - by design. Many don't need to. Once the app looses focus, and is moved to the background it's services are suspended so that the memory it was consuming is freed for other applications to use.

#11 Zagadka

Zagadka

Neowinian

Posted 24 June 2014 - 17:51

What they should do is add a bar on the bottom showing all of the running programs that lets you switch between them.

Oh, wait, that sounds familiar.

#12 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 24 June 2014 - 18:11

That could explain why Skype RT calls don't work when the app is not full screen.

Way to go Microsoft.

#13 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 24 June 2014 - 18:15

That could explain why Skype RT calls don't work when the app is not full screen.

Way to go Microsoft.

i don't know what you're talking about, the metro skype app works just fine in the background when making calls for me & the rest of my family (and a few friends i know use it as well)

#14 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 June 2014 - 19:47

Skype works fine for me, too. Maybe remove it and reinstall?

What they should do is add a bar on the bottom showing all of the running programs that lets you switch between them.

Oh, wait, that sounds familiar.

Uh... look on the left side of the screen... :/

#15 Zagadka

Zagadka

Neowinian

Posted 24 June 2014 - 20:01

Uh... look on the left side of the screen... :/

My point was that just adding the task bar back and running Modern apps in regular windows is essentially the same as traditional Windows. Stardock's ModernMix does this admirably.

But whatever.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!