PC extremely slow - has sometimes a blue screen error when starting/crashes often/very slow

Hi All,

I am trying to mend my parents in law's computer. It's a Lenovo with Windows 8. The computer is extremely slow - loading up the computer you need at least two attempts - the first attempt you get a blue screen. Using the PC I've encountered that the computer is extremely slow - mouse stops when you are moving it etc...

I've run a disk cleanup and then also a virus run. These did not make a big difference.

Does anyone have any further ideas on how to remedy this problem? Would prefer not to reboot the entire machine as I have lost the Office 2010 code.

Without seeing taskmanger, running processes,  it is hard to tell what the issue could be. 

Boot into safe mode.

if it runs quickly in safe mode then it is software that is installed or a driver issue or could even be hardware related. 

This will repair windows file corruption (which may not be the issue)

(Administrative) command prompt, type this in and hit enter

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

after that, reboot if prompted, run

sfc /scannow

Based on the symptoms, I'm leaning towards some sort of hardware failure. 

Related Article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Edited by Eternal Tempest

I'd still recommned a clean install, possibly upgrading to 10 as well

You can grab the office 2010 product key from the computers registry if you can keep it up long enough.

use these steps or look up Magic Jelly Bean, it's a great tool for getting the product key's on your computer

https://www.lifewire.com/find-your-microsoft-office-2010-or-2007-product-key-2625092

• Like 2

Repairing windows, reinstalling .... nope!

First check the hardware, if the hdd has started going bad (anything different than 100% health is not ok) i would first backup everything i can.

If  cpu/gpu is running hot, you need to clean the pc and change the thermal paste.

Typically if it takes 2 times to turn on the computer it means that the shutdown-hybrid is giving it some issues. Windows 8 and 10 by default don't cold boot after being turned off, but instead, utilize hibernation. If it freezes on startup and you turn it off, the next time you turn it on it won't be coming out of hibernation anymore but instead will be a good old fashion cold boot. 

To test this theory, open a command prompt as admin and type powercfg -h off

Then press enter. This will disable hibernation. Now turn the system off and turn it back on and see if it boots correctly on the first try.

It might be a different issue entirely but it's something to try. If that doesn't fix it, the next thing I would do is check the systems hard drive's smart data with a tool like crystal disk.

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

As well as the memory with memtest.

Hello,

Can you tell us a little more about the Lenovo computer, such as the model and specifications of the current hardware installed in it?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky