04--2018 update killed most of my apps on the Surface 2

Dutchie64

HI,

Hope there are still some Surface2 (RT)  Win8 users around, as I still use mine almost daily besides my S3.

The tablet ran the latest 04-2018 security update yesterday, but it messed up all my installed apps. Almost all of them refused to start and got stuck on the start/icon screen.
It doesn't really matters if it's MS native apps or 3rd party ones.
After some fiddling I got some of them to start again, by starting/closing them frequently, but are dog slow atm.

While this was all happening, CPU and harddrive usage was over 60-70%%, as if Windows was still doing stuff. Even after multiple reboots/shutdowns.

Also, the apps that refuse to start (for now) are apps that are not in the Store anymore. Coincidence?
Does this sound familiar to someone, or did I just got a bad update experience?

cheers!

rob

• 2 weeks later...
techbeck

RT...wow...but a factory reset may be in order if you are having all those issues.  I have had feature updates not go well on Win10 that was fixed with a reinstall. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Blizzard gets ready to rollout new Battle.net desktop app
      by Paul Hill

Blizzard, the maker of popular games like World of Warcraft, has announced that it’s ready to roll out the new version of its Battle.net desktop app. The company said that the update represents the biggest front-end overhaul that the program has seen in years and that it has been designed to ensure all players have a smoother experience.

With this update, users should be aware of five big enhancements introduced in the new update, they include:

Better navigation where you can favourite your games and arrange them so they’re easier to access. News and game content is more expansive in full-page view. The social pane has been revamped so it’s easier to see your friends and what games they’re playing. Accessibility has been improved so you can navigate most of the app with a keyboard. Screen reader support and colour contrast option have also been improved. The notifications hub brings together messages and game download statuses. Blizzard said it plans first to launch the new software update to users in parts of North America initially so that the update can be tested in the real world giving players a chance to send feedback about any lingering issues. Over the coming weeks, people in other regions of the world should expect to receive the update and, hopefully, any leftover bugs will have been squashed.

Going forward, Blizzard has promised to keep improving the Battle.net app by introducing iterative changes to the app. It has asked that when you get a chance to try the new update that you also provide your feedback on the forums.

• By anmol112
      Microsoft Launcher gets updated with visual and performance improvements
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Microsoft has released a new update for Microsoft Launcher on Android. The latest update brings Work profile setup optimization, design improvements to app padding and more. Apart from that, the update also delivers battery and performance improvements to Microsoft Launcher. Lastly, the update fixes bugs related to icon pack and the swipe up gesture which is used to open the shortcuts page. Here is the full changelog for the update:

The Redmond tech giant has been constantly working on improving Microsoft Launcher. Just last week, the company released an update that added features such as screen time support, improvements to the feed page and more for Surface Duo owners. Apart from that, the update also added support for keyword search in Office apps.

Earlier this year, Microsoft released the version 6 update for Android devices that brought support for Personalized news, Customizable icons, Landscape mode and more.

The latest update bumps the app to version 6.2.201202.9334. If you are using Microsoft Launcher on Android, you can head over to the Google Play Store to download the update.

• By News Staff
      Save 91% off this 2021 Mobile App Developers Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 91% off this 2021 Mobile App Developers Bundle. Over 20 hours of beginner-friendly training to help you make bank and unleash your mobile app development and programming skills.

This deal consists of the following courses:

iOS Application Development for Beginners
      Build a Basic Foundation In iOS Development with Swift & Apple's IDE XCode Intro to Java for Android Development
      Begin Your Mobile Development Career by Learning Android Studio & Java for Basic Applications Kotlin for Beginners
      Kickstart Your Mobile Development Career by Learning Android Studio & Java for Basic Applications Android SQL Databases for Beginners
      Control Data with SQL Databases & Upgrade Your Android Mobile Applications The Complete RESTful APIs for Android Course
      Develop Your Own Weather Forecasting Application for Android While Learning RESTful APIs & Kotlin The Complete Firebase Course with Kotlin
      Build Mobile Apps without Back-End Programming Using Kotlin & Firebase The Complete Mobile App Development Course with Flutter
      Develop Android & iOS apps Using Flutter – The Popular, Open-Source Mobile App Development Framework Good to know
      Length of time users can access this course: lifetime Certification of completion included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and instructor info, click here.

Here's the deal:
      This 2021 Mobile App Developers Bundle normally costs* $350, but you can pick it up for just $29.99 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $320.01 (91%) off.

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all discounted Online Courses. This is a time-limited offer.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $0.99 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off +3 months for free! Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By Vindicta
      my laptop has an AMD ryzen 7 4800H with integrated AMD radeon graphics, a GTX 1660 TI, my OS is in windows 10. My laptop has a 144hz display and an external monitor (60hz) that is connected to my laptop which works PERFECTLY FINE before everything.

So on my laptop screen, DOTA 2 was open while in my external monitor/display, I have my Discord and website open. I was just watching youtube vids when suddenly my monitor froze then laptop display turned blue with text saying " ;( windows ran into a problem" or something like that. At first I thought it was the fabled blue screen that breaks your computer but to my suprise it just automatically restarted my laptop, upon typing my password on my lockscreen, I noticed that my external monitor isn't working and that my laptop display looks weird. So, I asked a friend and told me to check my device manager and I saw that my AMD Radeon Graphics has this "code 43" thing, so he said to just update my drivers and update my windows software, so I did all that and its still there. I did a little exploring myself on my laptop and found that my laptop display was using MS basic display and that it was on 1hz, now I was panicking because I was thinking that my driver is broken or gone, so he told me to try using the one on the AMD website that updates drivers, and so I did that but still nothing. As for the monitor, I tried trouble shooting it, connecting-disconnecting it, force detecting with settings, using the "add device" button under "Bluetooth and other devices"  still nothing, I really dont know what to do. I dont even know what happened before the blue screen

I seen people uninstall their drivers then install it or using the roll back options but idk, what if something happened to my laptop, I dont wanna risk it ;(

• By anmol112
      Cyberpunk 2077 gets version 1.06 update, removes 8MB save file limit
      by Anmol Mehrotra

CD Projekt Red (CDPR) has released a new update for Cyberpunk 2077. The new update brings the game to version 1.06 and removes the 8MB save file limit. Recently, Cyberpunk 2077 players discovered that there is a save file cap of 8MB and the game fails to load the file once the 8MB limit is reached. Fortunately, the new update will remove that limit but if your files were corrupted before the update then there is nothing you can do about it.

The new update is available for both consoles and PCs. Here is the full changelog for the update:

Cyberpunk 2077 had a buggy launch forcing the studio to issue a public apology and promise to fix the issues on both PCs and consoles. The game was further delisted from Sony's PlayStation Store while Microsoft promised refunds to anyone who wanted to return the digital copy of the game. Despite the disastrous launch, CDPR still managed to sell over 13 million copies worldwide after adjusting for the refunds till December 20.

Since the launch of Cyberpunk 2077, CDPR has suffered significant losses in the Polish stock market wiping almost $1 billion off the owner's wealth and dropping the stock price by almost 40%.