140 posts in this topic

Posted

Orion (aka Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle) has had a slow, expensive gestation costing several $billion so far, and its first crewed mission won't happen until at least 2021.

How long? Its develioment stated the same year as SpaceX's Dragon.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/nasa-puts-orion-spaceships-parachute-its-toughest-test-n141296

NASA Puts Orion Spaceship's Parachute to Its Toughest Test

NASA says the parachute designed for its Orion interplanetary spaceship passed its most complex test to date on Wednesday

Posted

NASA > NADA ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah, noticed after the timer ran out. Correction request in.

1 person likes this

Posted

Done ;)

Posted

I'd had a quick look but can anyone give the dimensions of the Dragon v2 for comparison?

Posted

I wouldn;t normally bring it up but i was sure i had a good joke to use but couldn't think of one :(

Posted

I'd had a quick look but can anyone give the dimensions of the Dragon v2 for comparison?

The specs haven't been shared yet, but a lot of people have been using cues to calculate estimates. It uses the same pressure vessel as Dragon V1 with a minor change to the lower compartment housing the life support system. This makes things a bit easier, giving us minimums.

We know the mass of a fueled Dragon V1 was about 5.5 tonnes (empty) and that the Dragon V2 used for the DragonFly propulsive landing tests will mass about 7 tonnes.

The best estimates are that Dragon V2's heat shield diameter is 3.7 to 3.8 meters, with a height of about 6.3 meters to the top of the docking port (landing legs retracted.)

This is not counting the nose cone, which opens for docking then closes for reentry. Figure ~1 meter for that.

Of course Dragon V2 is much wider than the heat shield because of the 4 SuperDraco pods, and they aren't put at 90

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Doc, Have they done any launch abort tests yet? will Orion be up to spec?

They are a bit excited believing that SLS will be ready for 2017. I havent heard much news about it recently.

Posted

I wouldn;t normally bring it up but i was sure i had a good joke to use but couldn't think of one :(

Oh I dunno.. I think NADA is a good enough joke all on it's own! :rofl:

2 people like this

Posted

Hey Doc, Have they done any launch abort tests yet? will Orion be up to spec?

They are a bit excited believing that SLS will be ready for 2017. I havent heard much news about it recently.

Pad abort test video at bottom. Orion's tower mounted abort solid is nearly the size of a theater ballistic missile. If unused all that mass is discarded.

Dragon V2's 8 SuperDraco abort thrusters are far smaller and lighter, each being about the size of a coffee can and a max of 16,400 lbf, and it keeps them as orbital maneuvering and landing engines. Powerful little SOB's.

Planned Orion missions

EFT-1: December 2014, Delta IV Heavy, high apogee loop, heat shield test.

EM-1: 2017-2018, SLS Block 1, circumlunar & return (unmanned)

EM-2: 2021-2022, SLS Block 1, crewed (2) visit of a retrieved asteroid in lunar orbit

EM-3: 2022++, SLS Block 1A. unknown

No firm plans or budget after these.

SpaceX may well be flying their Raptor engined, methane fueled, BFR super-heavy launcher before Orion/SLS flies its first crew.

http://youtu.be/JLdP-L7D58g

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Doc,

Any update on this bad boy.

Are they still going to meet the December time frame?

From NASA

"NASA

Posted

On track for Dec. 4, but be aware EFT-1 isn't a full-up Orion. Its a stripped down test article with just enough gear on it to do this flight. Guidance, thrusters, heat shield, parachutes etc.

A "real" Orion won't fly until at least 2018, and that'll also be unmanned. That date is paced by the SLS launcher and it's behind schedule. No crews until 2021 to 2022, and that'll be a rehash of Apollo 8's loop around the Moon.

Assuming the SLS program isn't cancelled by then, which is quite possible.

October 8, 2014

NASA Premieres

Posted

Orion Exploration Flight Test-1 (EFT-1)

Launcher: Delta IV Heavy (SLS is still years off)

Mission: similar to the 1967 Apollo 4 mission, an Orion instrumented test article (incomplete systems) will go into low Earth orbit then loop out to an altitude of 3,600 miles (5,800 km) and do a high speed re-entry at 20,000 mph (32,000 kph). This will test its heat shield at a temperature of 4,000

Posted

Great, another fracking boat holding up a launch. Hope that's not a sign. Waiting for a new T=0.

Posted

Dammit. The online NASA TV stream keep dying... :( 

Posted

Chromecasting it to the 52 inch :)

Wind hold.

Posted

We have it playing in the auditorium in the building across the street, but I need to actually get some work done. 

Posted

Yet another hold. Both the core and a booster O2 drain not closed.

Posted

Cycling all the valves 5 times to clear the glitches. This is a known Delta IV issue.

Posted

Scrub - the valves issue.

May try again tomorrow.

Posted

I was watching it a few minutes ago when they decided to Scrub the launch. The window ran out. I hope its just a bad sensor.

Posted

Scrub - the valves issue.

May try again tomorrow.

Do the valves just freeze up?

Posted

So if they boat hadn't got in the way it may have gone? Do the boat owners get fined?

Posted

It's possible. Unlikely.

Lots of things can go wrong at cryogenic temps, and liquid hydrogen boils at ?252.87